Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Weekes
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Losing 2 VPs seems enough of an incentive to me.
I do not like the idea of giving the players a resource cards.

Teams only get more powerful as the game continues and do not need more bonuses in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinny Tee
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You mean the fact that you lose 5 VP when the Mastermind completes the 3rd master plan meant nothing to your wife?surprise

How could she possibly win if you achieve all 3 master plans before the end of the game?

Did you guys just miss that in this game?

Losing 5 VP is incentive enough for me to thwart or, at the very least, slow down the Mastermind's attempts at completing all 3 plans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bloke wrote:
the obvious solution, and i don't know the design reasons against this, is to make it so the heroes don't score the mission if they don't fight the mastermind.

Or to be more specific, they score the headline if they at least TRY to stop the mastermind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing a very different game from you, then. Not only are powerups already incentive enough (I'd easily risk a wound to get one rather than have to depend on story cards), but half the games I've played were decided by the outcome of a showdown with a nemesis that was on the final part of his masterplan.

Sure, you could let the nemesis go the first couple times and decide only to try to beat him the third time, but the first two masterplans will make him more difficult to defeat.

Play a scenario that goes longer than 3 rounds and you'll see the importance of this even more.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinny Tee
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I'm playing a very different game from you, then. Not only are powerups already incentive enough (I'd easily risk a wound to get one rather than have to depend on story cards), but half the games I've played were decided by the outcome of a showdown with a nemesis that was on the final part of his masterplan.

Sure, you could let the nemesis go the first couple times and decide only to try to beat him the third time, but the first two masterplans will make him more difficult to defeat.

Play a scenario that goes longer than 3 rounds and you'll see the importance of this even more.

-MMM

I have to agree. It has been like this for every game I have played as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhani Nurminen
Finland
flag msg tools
You do understand how the Archnemesis thing works, right? It'll take very little time for the Archnemesis to score the last final ultimate deadly masterplan if the winning player does nothing. Besides, if the player isn't the winning player and doesn't solve mastermind headlines, you usually get less points for it(not to mention if you happen to get the lead later, the other player will already have most of the mastermind masterplans achieved, meaning you'll have a harder time fighting him).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Jankowski
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Based on the games i've played masterminds completing there plans has been deadly to the heroes. Losing 5 vp's has turned the game around many times and made for an exciting ending.

On a similar note, wouldn't be great if they made an expansion and there were other options for each phase of the masterplan?? Like the nemisis player could only choose one but may have two options for each plan??

For example, dr. doom has mystical armor for his prologue, it would be awesome if their was another option that would effect his combat in a different way (maybe adding a die to one of his attacks or something) and the player could choose what combination of master plan cards he wants. I think that would be an awesome expansion idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenBear wrote:
Contrary to how it may seem to others here, yes, we have been playing the Arch Nemesis correctly. I suppose it had a lot to do with my wife having Dr.Doom as hers. His first plan simply isn't threatening enough and you can let that slide

His first plan isn't threatening? I'd say it's the best in the game. Makes Doom 50% more durable, and thus that much more difficult to defeat, and he's already difficult for any of the F4 other than Reed to beat in combat.

I have yet to see a game, even with the beginner scenario, that didn't see at least one nemesis attempt step three.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.