Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the complaints folks have with Marvel Legendary is that they are not controlling their own hero, or that they don't quite know how to feel about the band of assorted heroes they build in their deck.

In the past I've said like others...you are playing SHIELD directing the heroes to stop the threat. Which works most of the time. However I thought of another way that might be easier to help sell those folks having difficulty grasping the part they are playing in the game.

You are Playing out a Comic Book / Graphic Novel

Well duh, you may say. Hear me out.

Each player's turn represents a couple of panels on a page of this comic book that you are playing out.

Player #1 on their turn plays flips a Hand Ninja and places it in the sewers pushing Doc Octopus into the Bank.
Having only recruit in his hand the player plays a few Thor recruit cards and SHIELD Agents, adding a couple more Thor cards from the HQ into his deck.

The comic panel would have Thor whirling his hammer, saying something to Doc Oc like..."Hold Fast Villain for you now face the God of Thunder!"

Player #2 Reveals a Master Strike.
The comic panel has Loki popping up behind Thor and saying "He is not alone" as he stabs Thor in the thigh (giving all players a wound card).
Player #2 with 3 Agents and 3 Troopers, plays the three troopers and beats the Hand Ninja, then recruits a Captain America with the 4 recruit he now has.
Comic Panel would have a Shield Agent on the street watching Thor, Loki and Doc Oc fighting, Shouting into a cell phone "Strike Team clear the sewers! And someone better call Cap, Thor looks like he needs some help!"

Etc...

Does that make sense?
Through the gameplay you are creating the panels of the Comic / Graphic Novel that in the end will tell the story of how the heroes stopped the villain, or how the Mastermind bested the heroes...at least until the next issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurn
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just stomping villains with heroes and vice versa, good enough for me

But thanks for the effort! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, good enough for me too...

But there are some...be it New gamers, or the hardcore boardgame elite that have a hard time with the concept of Legendary.

Figure this is another "tool in the box" for folks to use when selling Legendary to folks new to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now this is a way to describe the game.
I'm like Jurn about what we do in the game, but it's fun to think Legendary like this (even funnier to actually make a graphic novel during the game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cook
msg tools
mbmb
I often considered a very similar interpretation, partially inspired by another post somewhere on this forum.

In mine, each player is a writer, each turn an issue, and each game a story arc or event (like the current Secret Wars or Avengers vs. X-Men, etc.). On your turn, you'd have characters appear in your issue, maybe a fight or two with a couple special-appearance-by villains, perhaps more of the overarching plot would unfold, and so on.

Then, at the end of the game you'd tally up Victory Points and determine who had been the most successful writer over the course of the event. Could even lend itself to a sort of campaign-style play, with the most successful writer getting to be in charge of setting up the next big event (choosing the Mastermind, Scheme, Heroes, and such).

Granted, my group and I don't play this way, so I can't call it more than an idea. It's enough of a struggle to get any sort of visual narrative involved during our games, but its an interpretation I've always thought about and rather enjoyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to imagine I'm a S.H.I.E.L.D. middle-manager who just did a spit-take with his donut when the boards lit up, looked over his shoulder and saw that his superiors had left for the day, and will spend the rest of the night washing Xanax down with coffee as he attempts to manage the crisis from his Observation Bunker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.