Popular Tags: [View All]
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I know a lot of players have posted questions and they have been answered, however i could not find answer to this question and hence requesting help.

I played this game for the 2nd time and we had the King's aid come up as an event for the 1st time. The rules say that players can acquire more than one development card.

We were 4 of us playing and 2 of them had combinations of 7+7+Inca and the other 9+9+9, so virtually they had access to all the 5 development cards. so how many development cards can these players get? Because we did not know we came up with a house rule that you can't acquire more than 2- so instead of the standard 1 card, you get additional.

What happens to other players who may have say 3 or 4 commons in such a scenario?

Also when a player is turning in a combination of different resources- Here's is what we have been playing- Say Player A has 6 cards- 5 different cards+ Inca- he gets 7 doubloons+ 3 for the inca? Are we doing it right?

Also at a later stage in the game a player had 9 cards. He had 3 Rares (7,8,6- with a market that upgrades any card to 7/8/9) and 5 different resources+ Inca card. so virtually he could have taken a Development card, gotten 7 doubloons + 3 for the inca all in one turn??? Is that allowed?

Sorry for sounding silly, but we got it all confused tonight...

Thanks for the help.

Best,
Madhu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it is worth, you don't sound silly to me

I'm pretty new to this game, but here is what I believe.

In a normal turn, you may turn in one set of cards, EITHER matching cards for a development card OR non-matching cards for coins OR Incan gold for coins. You may only choose one of these.

In a King's Aid turn, you may turn in EITHER multiple sets of matching cards for a matching number of development cards OR one set of non-matching cards for coins OR one set of Incan gold for coins. Again, you may only choose one.

I hope this helps. And is correct, but I think it is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot Mark...definitely much clearer now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are welcome! We are enjoying this game, hope you are too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
...we had the King's aid come up as an event for the 1st time. The rules say that players can acquire more than one development card.

...2 of them had combinations of 7+7+Inca and the other 9+9+9, so virtually they had access to all the 5 development cards. so how many development cards can these players get?

I think you played wrong. If each player only had one set each, then each player would only get 1 development. King's Aid allows you to turn in two sets of cards. (Say you have six cards: 7+7+Inca AND 8+8+8. You could turn in all six and get two developments.)

I couldn't if I misunderstood your description, but it sounded like you let the players turn in 3 cards and get 2 developments..

madhujith wrote:
What happens to other players who may have say 3 or 4 commons in such a scenario?

The development card should be replaced as soon as it is purchased. The remaining cards slide down and a new card is added to the fifth slot, so there should still be five cards out for the next purchase.

madhujith wrote:
Also when a player is turning in a combination of different resources- Here's is what we have been playing- Say Player A has 6 cards- 5 different cards+ Inca- he gets 7 doubloons+ 3 for the inca? Are we doing it right?

Yes, that's correct.

madhujith wrote:
Also at a later stage in the game a player had 9 cards. He had 3 Rares (7,8,6- with a market that upgrades any card to 7/8/9) and 5 different resources+ Inca card. so virtually he could have taken a Development card, gotten 7 doubloons + 3 for the inca all in one turn??? Is that allowed?

Yes, that's correct, too. Bruno Cathala (the designer of the game) clarifies the rules here.

madhujith wrote:
Sorry for sounding silly, but we got it all confused tonight...

I don't think it's silly at all. I downloaded the PDF and read the rules. There were a lot of things that were not explicitly stated:

* What do you do when the resource deck runs out? (It doesn't say explicitly, but you take the discarded resources, shuffle them, and make a new deck. You don't do that for the developments, though).

* Do you discard your cards when you trade them in for developments or doubloons? (Yes. But it's not explicity in the rulebook.)

* Can you trade in a set, a combination, and Incan relics all on the same turn? (Yes, see the thread referenced above.)

* When pirates attack a player with 4 caravels, how many resource cards are lost? (The rulebook mentions "fleets" and "squadrons", but it might be an inconsistent translation. Bruno Cathala says that the player loses 1 resource (unless Juan Ponce de Leon is in play and that player's fleet was split in two, then they lose two resource cards).

Anyway, I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a ton for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.