I Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey folks

This is NOT a thread about whether or not the 'honest player' strategy exists as an infallible winning strategy! There's loads of threads about that already and folk can play and make their own mind up.

Simply, I remember reading (but cannot find) a reference to a variant where some or all of the end-game bonuses for having the most apples, bread etc were reduced. I think by five coins, I think for each Good. Trouble is, I can't for the life of me find it in the Forums now so if somewhere could point me to it I'd be grateful. (Also, if you've tried it and it seemed to work for you, add your two cents if you want!)

Remember: this post isn't about rehashing the 'honest player strategy' debate!

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: reducing legal goods bonuses to off-set 'honest player' strategy
Maybe add in the title "trying to find variant for"
That might point people who could help you to click on it
And, in the future, people looking in the variants forum won't mistakenly click on your post thinking it's describing the details of a variant whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: reducing legal goods bonuses to off-set 'honest player' strategy
Good point. Now how do i do that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Trying to find existing variant for reducing legal goods bonuses to off-set supposed 'honest player' strategy
Done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Trying to find existing variant for reducing legal goods bonuses to off-set supposed 'honest player' strategy
I thought about a variant (never tested) that is a bit of the opposite of what you're suggesting. How about a Contraband bonus and penalty -- similar to Sushi Go's pudding. The player with the most contraband gets x points and the player with the least contraband gets -x points?

How many points is the question..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if a penalty is required for the least amount of contraband. I think giving a bonus to top contraband should be good enough to open the doors to players trying to smuggle in goods.

As far as points, a good start is following one of the bonus King/Queen points.

It would be really nice if the official app is updated to include the contraband bonus as optional selection. That may be asking too much but who knows, Arcane Wonders may agree in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18487489#18487489

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19083361#19083361

Edit: oops accidentally posted the same link twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's it - thanks AJ! Cheers for all your contributions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sal conz
Panama
flag msg tools
I think this is a game that falls into the category of "depends on the group", like most party games.

the fun in this game comes from the sillyness, accusations, thrill of bluffing or double-bluffing - not so much from being the person with the most points. i think if you are playing it as a eurogamer or just someone who's sole objective is to win - then yes being completely honest (with a little luck) will be a powerful strategy most of the time.

but really? who buys this game expecting a number crunching strategy game? is't the real fun in the things i mentioned in the previous paragraph? at least that's what the designers of the game had in mind. so going into the game with the right expectations would help. playing it with the right group would help too. if you host game nights then you no doubt have a variety of games for different audiences. but maybe if you play with the same group of gamers all the time, and they take an analytical approach to games (always trying to "figure out" the game), then there won't be much in this game for them. maybe a political or auction game would be a more fun experience for gamers like this - like tammany hall, biblios, or the resistance.

maybe you can make sheriff more strategic by house-ruling the scoring(king/queen bonus). that might make it more fun for analytical players. but that doesn't take away from the fact this this was designed to be a silly, light-hearted game, of bluffing, and luck.. if you expect more than that, you will probably be disappointed - even with your adjusted house rules.

another reason why people may do the honesty approach in sheriff is because they dont like lying in games. whatever floats their boat. but that goes back to you as the host. maybe this game might not be best for such a gamer. or maybe they dont mind playing this game, but you observe that when a player does that, it makes it less fun for the rest of the group. so then just choose another game.

it is impossible to find a game that is perfect for every game and every occasion. i think sheriff is a good game but - just as is the case with any other game - is not for everyone and not for every occasion. maybe that is disappointing for many people because this game received a lot of hype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.