Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to find more reviews on this game from people that have played this. I'm still waiting for my kickstarter to arrive, but was just wondering what people think of the game so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep checking for reviews/more information too. My copy (according to tracking at least) is supposed to arrive today, so I should have a review up this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I demoed it at CMON during GenCon. I thought it was meh at best.

Easy to pick up the rules.
Production values were very good but the gameplay felt like a slog - just wave after wave of minions getting slaughtered before re-spawning at the beginning of the next round.

Extrapolating the progress that I made after playing for maybe 30-45 minutes - it seemed like it would take ages to make enough headway to destroy a enemy ship component.

Take my impressions for what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
SaMatra wrote:
Extrapolating the progress that I made after playing for maybe 30-45 minutes - it seemed like it would take ages to make enough headway to destroy a enemy ship component.

The gameplay videos posted for the Kickstarter campaign made it seem like avoiding the waves of Deckhands with your Heroes and comboing special attacks to do burst of damage to exposed objectives is the way to go.

Overall, I don't expect this game to have as many reviews and as much buzz as some other CMON games. It's a little bit of a niche game. You'll have to look to your fellow fans for discussion.

Tom Vasel did mention the components on his last podcast, so perhaps he'll review it. If he gives it a good review, we could see it start to get more coverage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idk about other people but I backed knowing it would be waves after wave of minions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaMatra wrote:

Production values were very good but the gameplay felt like a slog - just wave after wave of minions getting slaughtered before re-spawning at the beginning of the next round.

This was a fear of mine....I guess we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a demo at Gen Con (just to 1 point instead of usual 6 points) and I liked it a lot. Thought my 13 year-old son would, so I bought it for us to play.

Good news:
He and I have played three games now. It's definitely easy to follow and fun to play. Tons of dice rolling, of course. He finds it so immersive that our long play times haven't seemed nearly as long as they have been. I introduced a 5-minute timer staring with the 2nd game mostly to get myself faster. That has helped us get to the "middle" of the game faster. Also, the Kraken provides a good story arc when he comes out and stays for a while.

Bad news:
We haven't found a way to play in under 2-2.5 hours. Maybe longer. It just seems so hard to get a hero over to the other side to do damage to objectives without him getting killed pretty quickly. The Kraken helps because he thins the herd turn after turn. But we're not sure if you can rig over the Kraken and there's not as much incentive to attack the Kraken because the only one who gets credit is the one who finishes him off.

Conclusions:
1) Fun
2) Too long (until we figure out how to play more efficiently, I guess)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
Impression after ONE game.

The six player game is fun and chaotic but not very deep. There is a ton of dice rolling and it’s possible to just be ruined by a series of bad rolls. Because of the randomness and pure chaos we thought it felt almost more like a party game. Move your hero somewhere, roll some dice and laugh at how bad your choices backfires.

The game looks great but the deckhands might be a bit too big and clunky to be practical. We kept getting our heroes hung up on them, would often accidently tip them over and moving them each turn started to get tedious.

Long and short: A bit shallow, overproduced and overpriced for sure, but still fun enough that you are not going to regret backing the game. Maybe wait for a sale on the retail version though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Richardson
United States
La Crescenta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 rounds in on a 2 player core game match and about to score first victory points. I'm digging it. There are a few rules that need clarification;(Why I'm here)but the play is fun and the eye candy top notch!

Getting it on the table? Not a problem. Getting it played repeatedly? We'll see. I'll try some multiplayer games next week and see how the crowd reacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Beck
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Electronic Eremite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob in Richmond wrote:
I played a demo at Gen Con (just to 1 point instead of usual 6 points) and I liked it a lot. Thought my 13 year-old son would, so I bought it for us to play.

Good news:
He and I have played three games now. It's definitely easy to follow and fun to play. Tons of dice rolling, of course. He finds it so immersive that our long play times haven't seemed nearly as long as they have been. I introduced a 5-minute timer staring with the 2nd game mostly to get myself faster. That has helped us get to the "middle" of the game faster. Also, the Kraken provides a good story arc when he comes out and stays for a while.

Bad news:
We haven't found a way to play in under 2-2.5 hours. Maybe longer. It just seems so hard to get a hero over to the other side to do damage to objectives without him getting killed pretty quickly. The Kraken helps because he thins the herd turn after turn. But we're not sure if you can rig over the Kraken and there's not as much incentive to attack the Kraken because the only one who gets credit is the one who finishes him off.

Conclusions:
1) Fun

I had a very similar experience. My wife and I played and our first game took us around 3+ hours. That is a far cry than the 1 hour time it says on the box. I think we may have been taking enough risks by using rigging to get heroes over to the objectives (rather than trying to plow through deckhands, bosuns, and other heroes). Focusing on enemy heroes really slows the game down.

We also found that there was a significant amount of downtime while the other player takes his or her turn. The huge number of phases gets you a tad bogged down.

I am going to wait to pass judgement on this until after a few more plays. I will say one thing, I do no see this unseating Arcadia Quest as my top game for crazy Ameritrash rolling and arena combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baelthazar wrote:
Rob in Richmond wrote:

Good news:

Bad news:

Conclusions:
1) Fun

I had a very similar experience. My wife and I played and our first game took us around 3+ hours. That is a far cry than the 1 hour time it says on the box. I think we may have been taking enough risks by using rigging to get heroes over to the objectives (rather than trying to plow through deckhands, bosuns, and other heroes). Focusing on enemy heroes really slows the game down.

We also found that there was a significant amount of downtime while the other player takes his or her turn. The huge number of phases gets you a tad bogged down.

I am going to wait to pass judgement on this until after a few more plays. I will say one thing, I do no see this unseating Arcadia Quest as my top game for crazy Ameritrash rolling and arena combat.

My son and I thought things through before playing again yesterday. We each had a strategy that involved rigging heroes more and focusing on one objective to start. **We also started with only 3 deckhands on the 3 middle objectives to start instead of 4** I was able to get an early 3 damage on one objective right away. But my 1st turn rigging roles were bad. He then countered, by rushing all heroes towards one side objective (took him a couple turns to get the faraway heroes there, but he managed it). I then tried to go after the opposite side of his boat. He had better dice rolls and remembered to use his cards much better than I did and he won. Only took around 30 minutes. Wow. And no Kracken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like games should be less than an hour if you play very aggressively which is probably how the game was meant to be played. I watched the official gameplay video and that was about an hour.

So there still haven't been many reviews about this game. I have the kickstarter and I'm still wondering if I should open it. It doesn't seem like a very deep game and I don't know if it's worth opening or if I should just unload it. I'd love to open it just to see all the minis, but I already have a lot of unplayed games so I don't know if I should just pass on this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
Sounds like games should be less than an hour if you play very aggressively which is probably how the game was meant to be played. I watched the official gameplay video and that was about an hour.

So there still haven't been many reviews about this game. I have the kickstarter and I'm still wondering if I should open it. It doesn't seem like a very deep game and I don't know if it's worth opening or if I should just unload it. I'd love to open it just to see all the minis, but I already have a lot of unplayed games so I don't know if I should just pass on this...

I agree. If Heroes just go after each other, the game will never end. People playing games like these forget it is the Objectives that matter, not beating the snot out of the opposing Hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.