Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: passion doubt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly triggers passion? Every time a yellow cultist leave the board, it triggers? What I know for sure:

capture: yes
kill in combat: yes
devour: ?
abduct: ?
groth: ?
eliminate by surrounded: ?

(I have not yet used the expansions, must there be some new skills that could be added to that list)

Thanks people, you are awsome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Passion triggers if a Cultist is removed during the Action Phase.

That includes all of your examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Foster
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
Passion triggers if a Cultist is removed during the Action Phase.

That includes all of your examples.

By an enemy, mind. You don't get power for killing your own cultists (which you can do in various ways with the expansions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Stockseth
msg tools
Ask me about Gladiators: Days of Blood and Glory
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which, I always thought made Groth pretty underwhelming, truthfully. Yellow can always volunteer to lose 4 cultists, and it actually helps him, rather than hurts him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
blackchance wrote:
Which, I always thought made Groth pretty underwhelming, truthfully. Yellow can always volunteer to lose 4 cultists, and it actually helps him, rather than hurts him.

Except that others won't accept that and so Black goat can then decide who die

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The others can only block Yellow Sign by offering up their own Cultists, they can't simply blanket-refuse any deal until the minute is up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackchance wrote:

Personally, I don't think it really helps Yellow Sign to lose the cultists. If he doesn't use those very same power to bring them right back, he has fewer power next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on the situation. If 4 extra Cultists are sitting around a 5th Cultist on a gate in Europe and Yellow Sign has Third Eye and Hastur, that can turn into 2-3 extra Elder Signs with relatively low risk. On the flip-side, if he's not in a position to use Third Eye, and he has lone Cultists either on gates or holding down Desecrated areas, losing them can cost him a great deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackchance wrote:

In my experience it's rarely in Yellow's best interest to take Groth voluntarily. Every other faction suffers from losing their cultists so Yellow would usually want to allow Black Goat to Groth his enemies if possible. And if Black Goat chooses to Groth Yellow then it makes no difference.

The only exceptions I can think of are if Yellow wants to lose some cultists so he can recruit them somewhere else (which may happen occasionally) or if Yellow needs another guy as a temporary ally and wants to eat the Groth to keep his ally protected to defeat a common enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my last game I was playing Yellow Sign. I was 2 doom points short to complete 30, but one spellbook less too. My forces were at Europe, including KiY, Hastur, 5 cultists, 3 undead and a Byakhee.

The player with Cthulhu decided to unsubmerge attacking me. I just lost 3 cultists and pained the KiY, Hastur and 3 undeads to Arabia. I was at 0 power, but. Ow returned to 3.

In my next turn, I screaming dead the KiY and 3 undeads to Africa and desecrated it, earning my 3 point elder sign and declarinfpg victory.

In this case, it was really worth to loose thise cultists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
davidryanandersson wrote:
blackchance wrote:

In my experience it's rarely in Yellow's best interest to take Groth voluntarily. Every other faction suffers from losing their cultists so Yellow would usually want to allow Black Goat to Groth his enemies if possible. And if Black Goat chooses to Groth Yellow then it makes no difference.

The only exceptions I can think of are if Yellow wants to lose some cultists so he can recruit them somewhere else (which may happen occasionally) or if Yellow needs another guy as a temporary ally and wants to eat the Groth to keep his ally protected to defeat a common enemy.

That's the point : You get a refund no one get when losing a cultist and you can use it to bring back your cultist on the map BUt where you want. And often the yellow cultits are often useless all together in Europe. And yes, when is say other players won't accept to have yellow take all the losses that: i mean they will propose to lose also cultists to prevent Yellow from getting PPs. That comes down to refuse...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In fact, if i am BG, i will probably not Groth Yellow but target a leading faction so that these victims will be accepted by every one. And if Yellow refuses, i will decide.
In fact, it's really a bad idea to target Yellow with Groth. he will either bring back its cultits and at least in a better place, or he will spend PPs to desecrate again. And as most of the time, the cultists tend to be grouped in Europe, grothing his cultits doesn't make him lose gates, so that's really not a good idea...
IN fact, the two core base game factions to target are Nyarla first and Cthulhu second. this one is second because Cthulhu will choose to lose cultists in Sea Areas before lands area so that if it has a good chance to recover PPs with Y'nathlei.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
davidryanandersson wrote:
blackchance wrote:

That's the point : You get a refund no one get when losing a cultist and you can use it to bring back your cultist on the map BUt where you want. And often the yellow cultits are often useless all together in Europe. And yes, when is say other players won't accept to have yellow take all the losses that: i mean they will propose to lose also cultists to prevent Yellow from getting PPs. That comes down to refuse...

Yeah, there are definitely times when Yellow does want to take the Groth, but if he allows Black Goat to Groth Crawling Chaos or Cthulhu instead then Yellow still benefits by allowing his enemies to hurt each other. If no one ever attacks Europe or you only Groth once a game then there's more incentive for Yellow to take it. But if you really use Groth even a few times I find that Yellow will probably try to help you target the other guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.