Subject: Noob friendly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to pick up a copy soon. I like to stick with classic hero versus villain decks, so I'm coming more from a casual competitive angle than a tourney hyper competitive one. I still look to try and make very synergistic decks however.

Do you VS vets and others who own this version feel a casual gaming significant other or a 10 to 12 year old can feel like they're pulling off cool plays/combos, and have a good chance to win? Meaning, does it have a good pick up and play feel for just about anyone? I include myself in that context.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is pretty easy to pick up. Granted, I played the original VS, but the rules are pretty simple. You will run into some questions about card interactions, but there is a FAQ on the Upper Deck site that answers more of those, as well as some posts on this forum.

My seven year old learned it pretty quickly, altough he still needs help making optimal plays, so it seems very noob-friendly to me. I think the majority of kids 10 and up would have no problem with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very clean system. Most everything has been streamlined from the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Renaud
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband enjoys deck builders but struggled to like this game until he was able to begin the process of deck building himself. After playing a few games using the recommended starter decks, he read through the mains and found an ability he liked and then we worked through the rest of his choices.

Rules wise it wasn't too overwhelming but I think be able to create your own deck does wonders to how engaged you will be in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Kinney

Indianapolis
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played the old CCG and picked this one up on some video reviews I saw. The ruleset was easy to pick up and I am really enjoying it. I would definitely say it is noob friendly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty straightforward, rules-wise. I haven't started on creating my own decks yet (just practicing with the starter builds in the rulebook for now), but the default decks are extremely well balanced against each other. Granted, that will go out the window as soon as deck building enters the picture, but I'm seriously considering picking up a second box just to have one set of intro decks (that I know play well against each other) and 1.5 sets that have been tweaked and streamlined to provide a solid competitive experience (and there seems to be quite a lot to explore between the variety in the card pool and the various powers of the Main Characters).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We created this new format( Game in a box) to be totally appealing to new players. I wanted you to know that when you buy a box, you will have the same cards, and opportunities, as pro players.

So pick up a copy, create some Kool decks and see if your Kung fu is the best on the block. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:
see if your Kung fu is the best on the block.

Aw now I want a Kung Fu deck.....you guys need to make one of the expansions a martial arts themed expansion.

Give me some Iron Fist, Shang-Chi (The Master of Kung Fu), Daredevil, Electra, Stick, Black Panther, Black Widow, etc. up against some Mandarin, Lady Deathstrike, Bullseye, Gorgon, Silver Samurai, Madame Hydra, etc.

Then we could really prove whose Kung Fu is strong or weak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Neal
msg tools
Midnight Rider wrote:
Do you VS vets and others who own this version feel a casual gaming significant other or a 10 to 12 year old can feel like they're pulling off cool plays/combos, and have a good chance to win? Meaning, does it have a good pick up and play feel for just about anyone? I include myself in that context.
My son is 9 and I've busted out my old Vs. cards and we've been playing that for the past year or so. We just got our Vs. 2PCG cards. The rules are a lot more streamlined and straightforward than the original. The only issues we've had are adjusting to the rule changes, since we're used to the original, but that hasn't been a big deal. Someone who's not accustomed to the old rules should have no trouble picking the game up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
Give me some Iron Fist, Shang-Chi (The Master of Kung Fu), Daredevil, Electra, Stick, Black Panther, Black Widow, etc. up against some Mandarin, Lady Deathstrike, Bullseye, Gorgon, Silver Samurai, Madame Hydra, etc.

Yes, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Neal
msg tools
trakes wrote:
I'm hoping one of the expansion sets coming out next year will tie into the Marvel Netflix series that are out, or that are coming out. That would give us most/ all of these characters (plus the Punisher, Kingpin).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah and give us maybe some Marvel Knight affiliation!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.