Sam Miller
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Dipper
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a pony fan, and I picked this up at a convention recently. Now that I've had a chance to try it...there's something about the way the game is scored that feels...flawed.

When the players begin their battle against the final boss, they can tabulate their possible final scores should they beat the boss. (i.e. Most distance + Most skulls + Most Curses + Most defeated monsters) The only unknown factor at that point is who will survive the fight, the survivors being awarded one bonus medal each.

Am I correct in assuming, therefore, that if one player is winning by only 2 medals, then only that player can win the game if the boss is defeated? If that's the case, you end up with one player actively fighting the boss, and the others participating as little as possible, throwing the required combat and escape rolls and hoping they (and the leader) all get incapacitated, so they can all start the adventure over again and continue the game. The losing players have no incentive to kill the boss or help the leader.

To me, this feels both counterintuitive and against the spirit of the game. It just seems much more interesting for the players to all work together to take down the final boss, especially the tough advanced bosses. I feel like there should be bonuses related to defeating the boss, perhaps for each hit point scored, and for being the pony who deals the killing blow?

Am I missing something? Is it really that uncommon for a player at the start of the last boss fight to be winning by 2+ medals? I want to like this game, but it seems like an anti-climatic ending if most (or any) players are just going though the motions to get through what should be he most exciting part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.