Telford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying out a Hobbit/Secret deck that consists of the Heroes

Sam Gamgee (Leadership)
Frodo Baggins (Spirit)
Pippin (Lore)

It contains lots of secrecy cards and also a sub theme of no victory point cards in the victory card area to reduce the cost of 'Keen as Lances' and also the Hobbit Pipe/Smoke rings thing.

The quest in this case was Flight from Moria from the Khazad-Dum expansion. It progressively gets harder as you get more victory points.

The highlights of the quest where;

Going from at one point a low of 14 threat to a final total of 49! (Bearing in mind this is supposed to be a secrecy deck)

Thinking there where 15 copies of Goblin Spearman in the encounter deck, rather than the 5 there actually is. (No, really there is, I counted them afterwards)

Getting from my player deck 'A Test of Will' just at the last moment to ensure victory.

The main points were, never give up, even if you are losing 3 threat a turn to the unrelenting encounter deck. (Thank you Northern Trackers for coming to my rescue)

Easy mode is NOT easy, it is just easier than the normal and nightmare modes. Because the encounter decks are thinned out you do see more of some of the other cards, that are only just slightly worse than the cards you've removed.

I'm finding easy mode fun rather than frustrating and I am going to be trying out lots of different themed decks rather than the ultimate efficient deck that you tend to have to build that a number of these quests require.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flight from Moria was one of the first quests to really traumatise me. The pace at which locations come out is brutal and if you have a turn where you don't manage to complete one that can be crushing.

I've played this at least 10 times now and it shaped my deckbuilding for quite some time (until I got traumatised by the Fords of Isen that is).

From memory, my experience with this block was that a low threat hero ally rush strategy was very effective. Elf-stone and Time of need should be your MVPs.

As far as playing thematically is concerned, I've found it is possible if you have access to the full card pool, provided you are prepared to be a little 80/20 about it. 80% cards on theme, 20% cards that just fill in the gaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Merrill
msg tools
mbmbmb
Playing Flight From Moria with the new player side quests made for an interesting time as I worried whether to use my side quests to gain an advantage vs. making The Nameless Fear bigger and potentially shooting myself in the foot.

Good job getting through there with Hobbit Secrecy. I'm struggling to make it work for me, even on easy mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve perkins
United Kingdom
Telford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DAAAN wrote:
Flight from Moria was one of the first quests to really traumatise me. The pace at which locations come out is brutal and if you have a turn where you don't manage to complete one that can be crushing.

I've played this at least 10 times now and it shaped my deckbuilding for quite some time (until I got traumatised by the Fords of Isen that is).

From memory, my experience with this block was that a low threat hero ally rush strategy was very effective. Elf-stone and Time of need should be your MVPs.

As far as playing thematically is concerned, I've found it is possible if you have access to the full card pool, provided you are prepared to be a little 80/20 about it. 80% cards on theme, 20% cards that just fill in the gaps.

80/20 is about right, I've played the whole Mirkwood cycle with this deck and I've tweaked it as I've been going along. I'll have a look at your suggestions.

I played Fords of Isen last night and yes, found it to be almost exactly opposite to Flight from Moria.

I realised that being down on 11 threat was doing me no good at all, I could only optionally engage one enemy per turn and needed to increase my threat and rapidly to be able to engage multiple enemies.

So I deliberately let myself get beaten at the quest by just enough threat to engage more enemies, but at the pace I wanted. (I'd already got the 16 progress tokens I needed) I'm really looking forward to the rest of this cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.