Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Evolution: Flight» Forums » General

Subject: Species Board Misprint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear North Star Games,

I had backed Evolution during your first Kickstarter campaign. It is a great game and my game group thoroughly enjoys it! I also backed the Flight expansion and my group couldn't wait for it to arrive. Nice work with everything! I like to introduce this game to different groups and watch more and more NSG fans evolve.

However, I think my copy of either the base game or the expansion has a misprint or something that really hindered the gameplay. The Population/Body Size on the species boards we have from the base game increase from top to bottom, however, the Population/Body Size on the new Flight species boards from the expansion increase from bottom to top. This inconsistency made our last few gameplays rather confusing as some players accidentally increased attributes in the wrong direction and others thought they could attack another species at a glance when they wound up not being able to due to this. I really want to play with the Flight expansion, however, the inconsistent attribute directions add a level of confusion that simply takes away from the game and, depending how many land/air species come out, make it unplayable.

Is this a misprint on my land species boards or on my Flight expansion species boards and what can I do about it? Please help because we would really like to enjoy the expansion with the game.

Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This was changed from the first to the second edition. Unless you have 2nd edition Evolution they won't correspond.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We've taken to using the horizontal side of the board, but rotating it vertically. The text really isn't all that important, and that way they count upward, which makes more intuitive sense.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies and suggestions.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalma kalma
msg tools
mb
Hi Randy,

If you don't play with too many players or you have some extra cubes lying around you could also try the following. Instead of moving the population cube add or remove cubes to the population track as needed. I find it makes it easier to get an overview of the ecosystem at a glance. A herd of critters appears more like a herd with multiple cubes. Also using a different coloured cube for Body Size helps.


8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kalma wrote:
If you don't play with too many players or you have some extra cubes lying around you could also try the following. Instead of moving the population cube add or remove cubes to the population track as needed. I find it makes it easier to get an overview of the ecosystem at a glance. A herd of critters appears more like a herd with multiple cubes. Also using a different coloured cube for Body Size helps.


I was wondering how many people use different colored cubes for BS and for Pop. I think that would make it easier to assess other players' species at a glance. And red is an appropriate choice for body size (more flesh and blood).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We're probably going to copy the Germans and have green cubes to represent Population (since it correlates to Food Tokens the species can eat) and brown to represent Body Size.



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
We're probably going to copy the Germans and have green cubes to represent Population (since it correlates to Food Tokens the species can eat) and brown to represent Body Size.

Do red for Body Size and Carnivores can flip them around (red for Population, green for Body Size) to help set them apart...

Just an idea...

-M_R
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I've just been lucky because this has never been an issue for me.

The method I find that works for me that *may* be of use to some folks out there is this: rather than focus on colors or words, I just know that the line closest to the food is population and go from there.

Like I said, it works for me so I figured I'd pass it along in an effort to be helpful.

That said, anything that makes things easier without excess thought requirements in any situation (not just this game) is almost always a good thing
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking about spray painting half of the cubes green. Pretty much every play through video I have seen confused body size and population at least once. I do like the idea of filling up the spaces. I have some tiny dice that could work also.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominic -

I played this game last night and it was awesome. This was the only problem we had with the game, but it definitely impacted my enjoyment.

Due to a small table size we have to turn the species boards sideways. It was definitely confusing as to what direction we needed to move our markers. This was the only downside to an otherwise great game.

Can I purchase some of the second edition boards for less than the price of a full game, so that everything is consistent? Any reason you didn't include the second edition boards in the upgrade pack in the Flight kickstarter?

I'll buy a second edition copy of the game if I have to, but I'd rather not.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We have made a lot of cosmetic changes during the various print runs that doesn't affect game play. It would be expensive to include all of the small cosmetic changes in an upgrade kit, and a lot of people don't care about those changes so they would be paying for people they don't care about. But the trait cards are core to the game play and we wanted to make sure as many people as possible were playing with the latest cards.

If we have some extra species boards in the office we can send them to you for the price of shipping. Contact us through the www.NorthStarGames.com website (Contact Us tab) and let them know I said that. But I can't guarantee if we have extra species board or not.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have already sent an email through your website earlier. Thank you.

This seems to be a common problem lately with expansion components not matching the base game. It has happened to me with Five Tribes, Machi Koro, and now Evolution. At least with Machi Koro they replaced the base game components.

It might not seem like this affects game play, but it really does. I'm in the middle of my game last night when we noticed the discrepancy in the boards, and everything came to a screeching halt. We then had to discuss who had been playing them correctly and who hadn't, make corrections, and discuss how to handle the situation going forward. Again not a huge deal, but it definitely stopped our fun dead in it's tracks.

I'll probably end up buying a copy of the second edition version of Evolution because it's a good enough game that I expect to play often and I'd rather not have to deal with this minor annoyance, but I really wish publishers would put more effort into maintaining consistency across different version of their games, or providing solutions when they cannot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisbender wrote:
...I really wish publishers would put more effort into maintaining consistency across different version of their games, or providing solutions when they cannot.


It wouldn't take any effort to print a game and never change it in subsequent print runs. To the contrary, it takes tremendous effort to continually figure out ways to improve the game experience. But whether to make these changes or not is an academic discussion. The truth is that I can't sleep at night if a new print run is starting I know of something that could make the game experience better. I hate thinking that people are buying a game from my company that is less than the game that exists in my head. Yes, it can be annoying to the 7,000 people who purchased the 1st print run. But the 25,000 other people who purchased Evolution in during it's first year are probably happy about my obsession. And the same goes for all of the people who will purchase Evolution over the next 10 years.
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
It wouldn't take any effort to print a game and never change it in subsequent print runs.

chrisbender wrote:
...or providing solutions when they cannot.

My goal wasn't to get into an argument with you about this, and I'm sorry if I offended you. I was just wishing I could buy some of the new boards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisbender wrote:
My goal wasn't to get into an argument with you about this, and I'm sorry if I offended you. I was just wishing I could buy some of the new boards.

I think you may have missed Dominic saying this a couple posts earlier:
domcrap wrote:
If we have some extra species boards in the office we can send them to you for the price of shipping.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
chrisbender wrote:
My goal wasn't to get into an argument with you about this, and I'm sorry if I offended you. I was just wishing I could buy some of the new boards.

I think you may have missed Dominic saying this a couple posts earlier:
domcrap wrote:
If we have some extra species boards in the office we can send them to you for the price of shipping.


I did that already, as I mentioned in my previous post. Thank you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisbender wrote:
domcrap wrote:
It wouldn't take any effort to print a game and never change it in subsequent print runs.

chrisbender wrote:
...or providing solutions when they cannot.

My goal wasn't to get into an argument with you about this, and I'm sorry if I offended you. I was just wishing I could buy some of the new boards.


I wasn't offended at all. It's good for me to hear feedback form our fans. I'm sorry I came across that way. I was just trying to explain my thoughts on the issue. We've discussed the trade-offs at length at the office and to be honest, I'm torn about what's the right call for the business. In the end, I went with my heart because I'm very clear about how I feel as a game designer.

Here's to hoping my heart is not getting in the way of making good business decisions!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Jones
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
We've discussed the trade-offs at length at the office and to be honest, I'm torn about what's the right call for the business. In the end, I went with my heart because I'm very clear about how I feel as a game designer.

Here's to hoping my heart is not getting in the way of making good business decisions!


For stuff that doesn't actually alter gameplay, I'm all for revising and updating... for the hardcore fanatics who want everything perfect, they can buy the updated copies of the game and sell the old one on eBay or whatever, and for everyone else they can be content with the slight inconsistencies.

I do think it'd be extra awesome though if NSG could find a way to sell "update kits" -- there would be separate bits, so you could upgrade *just* the species boards, or *just* the base trait cards, or/or/or -- that way if someone wants it all they can order all the "kits" and save on shipping, but if someone wants just one bit, they can buy just that one bit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc_Jones wrote:
domcrap wrote:
We've discussed the trade-offs at length at the office and to be honest, I'm torn about what's the right call for the business. In the end, I went with my heart because I'm very clear about how I feel as a game designer.

Here's to hoping my heart is not getting in the way of making good business decisions!


For stuff that doesn't actually alter gameplay, I'm all for revising and updating... for the hardcore fanatics who want everything perfect, they can buy the updated copies of the game and sell the old one on eBay or whatever, and for everyone else they can be content with the slight inconsistencies.

I do think it'd be extra awesome though if NSG could find a way to sell "update kits" -- there would be separate bits, so you could upgrade *just* the species boards, or *just* the base trait cards, or/or/or -- that way if someone wants it all they can order all the "kits" and save on shipping, but if someone wants just one bit, they can buy just that one bit.

Eh, if you want to upgrade all the bits, just get a new game. For the other stuff, it sounds like a neat idea, but the logistics on North Star's side would probably be pretty ugly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
Eh, if you want to upgrade all the bits, just get a new game. For the other stuff, it sounds like a neat idea, but the logistics on North Star's side would probably be pretty ugly.


Yeah, that.

Thanks for realizing the nightmare that would entail for us. The only way we could do something like that is if we stop designing games and just focus on managing our inventory. I don't like that idea.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:

North Star Games customer support responded to my request this morning and offered to ship replacement boards to me. I definitely appreciate the excellent customer service.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.