Hide
19 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some more clarification questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James A
msg tools
1) Obviously heroes can't share a space. But can they walk through/past heroes to continue on? Because I was blocked by all the other players when it was my turn so I just walked through another persons space for 1 movement to continue as if I was just walking by them in their space.

2)Same question but for enemies. Can they move "past" each other? And if not, does that mean that if their fellow enemies are blocking all paths to a hero, they just can't move? (I am aware that larger enemies can displace btw).

3)"Killing" a character. I can find absolutely nothing about this keyword. I do know that if a hero is killed, not "KOd", but actually killed, you can try to revive them at Church. But here was our problem. One of our heroes was killed in town by a void twister. The void twister killed him and destroyed the entire town and our stay was officially at an end. So what happens with the killed character?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 and 2. Figures block movement. You can't move through figures of any kind.

3. You would have to go to another town after the next adventure to try and revive that hero. The player could start a new character or just sit out the next adventure. Of course you could house rule somehow but this is how we would play it.

Edit- of course large figures do "push" other monsters out of the way. Thought I should add that for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who2342 wrote:
1) Obviously heroes can't share a space. But can they walk through/past heroes to continue on? Because I was blocked by all the other players when it was my turn so I just walked through another persons space for 1 movement to continue as if I was just walking by them in their space.

1) No. You cannot move through another figure's space - friendly or enemy - unless you have a skill that allows it (ie Saloon Girl's Acrobatic Dodge). If you have a melee character, make sure you get to the front of the posse and stay there.

Who2342 wrote:
2)Same question but for enemies. Can they move "past" each other? And if not, does that mean that if their fellow enemies are blocking all paths to a hero, they just can't move? (I am aware that larger enemies can displace btw).

2) Same answer: no. Unless it's a large enemy displacing smaller ones, or the monster card specifically says so (ie Hell Bats), enemies will not move through other enemy figures.

Who2342 wrote:
3)"Killing" a character. I can find absolutely nothing about this keyword. I do know that if a hero is killed, not "KOd", but actually killed, you can try to revive them at Church. But here was our problem. One of our heroes was killed in town by a void twister. The void twister killed him and destroyed the entire town and our stay was officially at an end. So what happens with the killed character?

3) As far as I'm aware, Void Twister is a death you can resurrect a hero from. You just have to take them to another town. The only two deaths I know that you can't resurrect a hero from are Demons (2 on the campsite hazard table) and Mr. Scratch.

Personally, I would do a modified Search Party mission to go recover your dead hero's body, then take him to the next town over to resurrect them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James A
msg tools
Regarding "kills". So some kills are permanant no matter what? What would they do? Just start a new character? Because that brings up questions of what do they start at/with? Are they level one while everyone else is level 8? Do they still have all their items? Etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Who2342 wrote:

1) Page 12 gives a movement example. The actual rule is stated on page 11:

"Models have no facing and may move forward, back, side
to side, and even diagonally. Models may NOT move through
other models or through Walls, and may only move into valid
spaces on the board (it must be at least 50% of a full space, to
be considered a valid space)."

2) Page 26 gives an example AND a description. I would copy/paste it, but it's long and pretty specific because of the targeting rules.

3) Here's my take on it. Bear in mind that I am simply basing this off of my rules reading I've been doing lately (wanting to get more familiar with the intricacies of the game).

When a hero is KO'd during a fight, you have the chance to recover at the end during the Catch your breath phase. You can also be healed during the fight by being dragged off by another hero or by being a map tile without enemies.

The question this raises is if you can attempt to recover after ANOTHER fight or during any other phases (e.g. if you die from Burning Counters in Caverns of Cynder, is your hero dead for the rest of the adventure since there is no Catch your breath phase available to you?

I am inclined to believe that if you are killed outside of combat, you cannot recover for the rest of the dungeon (unless a revive token is used). Instead, you must be resurrected at the church during the next town visit (or any town visit after since the rules clearly state that resurrection is not time sensitive).

Now for your situation...

The Void Twister event kills the hero and the town stay is over. I believe that this means it's time to start your next adventure. The corpse of your dead posse member remains with you (in your coach for example) and you can attempt to have him or her resurrected during the next town visit after the next mission. You COULD elect to immediately flee the mine and suffer the failure consequences, or you could attempt to complete the mission with one posse member unable to participate - that choice is up to you.

Unless you opt to play the Hard Core variant, a hero that is Killed is never really 100% dead (unless you can't resurrect them for whatever reason).

Also, for the record, the Killed keyword is in the Glossary of Terms in the back of the Adventure Book.

Hope this helps!

E: Beaten like a dead horse!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a hardcore variant in the rulebook that turns KOs into deaths, and makes those deaths permanent. It's totally optional.

There are a couple deaths (listed in my earlier post) where the description specifically says the hero is carried off, never to be seen again. No body (or biological matter, in the case of mutating into goo ) means no resurrection.

In general, you cannot loot a dead hero's body. This is covered in the Adventure book. I don't think the Adventure Book covers what you do with gear for a permanently dead hero. For a death in which a hero was carried off, the gear is gone along with the body. I could see a posse playing the hardcore perma-death mode houseruling to allow the looting of dead heroes.

Once a hero is permanently dead, the player will have to start a new character. There's a few different ways the posse can deal with this:

- If the posse is only 2 or 3 levels ahead, you can probably help a level 1 character along, and keep them alive. This is a lot harder if monsters are brutal. The new hero should level quickly with the elite monsters, and the higher level heroes can pass along gear found in the mines, or hand-me-down gear if they want to keep the new stuff.

- The whole group of players could start new heroes. Once the two posses get close in level, each player can choose which hero they want to move forward with. They could even switch each session, depending on who they feel like playing.

- The player with the dead hero and one (or two) players could create new characters and run a couple missions in smaller/private sessions to get the hero leveled up to where they can keep up with the rest of the posse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow - I am reading through all the hazard effects. Mr. Scratch is thematically terrifying. I love it!

But as Adria pointed out, if there is ANY semblance of biological mater left behind, you can assume that the Church can take care of you. But since the Resurrection event states very specifically:

"Bring any Hero that is dead (through Death/Madness/Mutation) back to life."

It's pretty clear that if your Hero is literally taken away from the posse, that Hero is gone forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James A
msg tools
So since a lot of the "story" of the game is left up to the players, let's say everyone is level 5 when a character dies. What if we met a new friend in town and he's already level 5? THAT Person JUST Makes A New hero, picks all the Level Up upgrades From their chart, and we give them our old friends stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
Who2342 wrote:
So since a lot of the "story" of the game is left up to the players, let's say everyone is level 5 when a character dies. What if we met a new friend in town and he's already level 5? THAT Person JUST Makes A New hero, picks all the Level Up upgrades From their chart, and we give them our old friends stuff.

Nothing stopping you from doing that, tho their accumulation of "stuff" will be different than if you play it all the way through from new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
difference in character level isnt really a big issue as you tend to catch up with the higher levels as they need more XP for each new level than you, and difference in gear can be remedied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Who2342 wrote:

If a character dies, you can resurrect them (unless playing Hardcore). The only times you can't bring a character back to life would be in the few cases that the game explicitly states that your character is taken and never seen again. Thematically speaking, their stuff would also be gone.

If you choose to play a Hardcore variant and want to just roll a new "hired hero" at the level of the dead hero, you could do that, too. But I would say when it comes to gear, any armor/defensive stuff would be "destroyed" (because it didn't help your hero survive!), but weapons could be rolled on to see if it still works or something?

I don't know...Options! But outright keeping all gear wouldn't be thematically accurate I don't think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James A
msg tools
bjorn2bwild wrote:
Who2342 wrote:

Nothing stopping you from doing that, tho their accumulation of "stuff" will be different than if you play it all the way through from new.

Their accumulation of stuff would be different? What do you mean by that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Who2342 wrote:
bjorn2bwild wrote:
Who2342 wrote:

He means that if you go on 10 delves into the mine with Hero A and 10 delves into the mine with Hero B, the gear and loot they would each acquire would (likely) be radically different. So creating a new hero and giving him the old gear and items of the dead hero is sort of a cop-out. That new hero has nothing that makes him unique.

At that point, you might as well house rule and say "A dead hero is never actually dead and can always be resurrected or "resummoned" at the Church."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunslingers are cheaper than guns, but skilled gunslingers are hard to come by. You may not want to trust someone whose been at it for years, who knows what they've done? It's tough but you gotta get the apples from tree if you want to avoid the rotten ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who2342 wrote:

While I'm not aware of any rules strictly prohibiting this, it seems like it would overly minimize the impact of character death. If you can just start a "new" character that is exactly the same as the old one, there's no impact to having a character die. I will admit that losing a character in town seems like pretty crappy timing, but that's part of the game. It might make more sense thematically, to "pick up" a new level one character for the next mission and then try to resurrect during the next town visit. Not ideal, but it seems like it fits better with the spirit of things.

Or you could use the Hexcrawl rules to travel overland to another town in search of a church without a dungeon mission in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
nicoga3000 wrote:
Who2342 wrote:
bjorn2bwild wrote:
Who2342 wrote:

He means that if you go on 10 delves into the mine with Hero A and 10 delves into the mine with Hero B, the gear and loot they would each acquire would (likely) be radically different. So creating a new hero and giving him the old gear and items of the dead hero is sort of a cop-out. That new hero has nothing that makes him unique.

At that point, you might as well house rule and say "A dead hero is never actually dead and can always be resurrected or "resummoned" at the Church."

That, and also if you choose any hero type other than the one that died, it is likely that the gear selection that your new hero inherits will not be the gear they might want to use.

If I have a 5th level Rancher who bites it, and I bring in a level 1 "two guns" bandido to replace them, it's pretty likely that the gear isn't going to line up too well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We bring Level 1 dudes into Level 6 games all the time. It's crazy-fun. Not only is the game harder, but the Level 1 guy is forced to play and build in such a way that he can be useful without relying heavily on combat.

And so, the Field-Medic Rancher was born. 10 Bag Slots, Home Remedies, Canteens, the Pan Flute ... that Hero was a 1-woman sickbay. And she got a ton of EXP for it.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James A
msg tools
Field medic ranger? And how'd she get 10 slots? Also this reminds me of a question I keep forgetting to ask! At what point are u allowed to heal/heal others/trade/sell to other players? On your activation? Whenever you want? Beginning of round? Also exactly the same question but for fight rounds!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who2342 wrote:
Field medic ranger? And how'd she get 10 slots? Also this reminds me of a question I keep forgetting to ask! At what point are u allowed to heal/heal others/trade/sell to other players? On your activation? Whenever you want? Beginning of round? Also exactly the same question but for fight rounds!

You can heal others whenever you want. There are 3 caveats to this:

1) If you're in a Fight, you have to be adjacent to the Hero you're healing (or BE the Hero you're healing). Otherwise, same tile is all that is required.

2) You can't heal mid "step" in any given phase or activation. For instance, you can't someone mid-movement but you can heal between Hits and Defense (separate steps of combat).

3) You can't heal once you know for sure how much damage you will be taking. For instance, you can heal before you Defense but not after - unless you also have Armor (this places another level of uncertainty between you and damage).

The Rancher has a upgrade that doubles her starting bagslots. And a starting upgrade that lets her heal with Grit!

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.