Subject: Two things, one name rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gibberish'd [+] [View All]
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
It occurred to me recently that one of the less well-recognized flaws my reasoning often has when I fail to reason correctly about something is when I call two things by one name. This has lots of varieties and is described in many ways, but I just thought I'd try and increase its visibility. If you find yourself thinking that someone you respect is saying something fabulously stupid, this is a good thing to check on--is there anything you're calling by one name which they're splitting into two or more kinds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you consider checking that for grammatical cohesion before posting it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
mbmb
MisterCranky wrote:

No. That is another common flaw in my reasoning, though less poorly recognized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:

But you must post quickly... there's no time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
It occurred to me recently that one of the less well-recognized flaws my reasoning often has when I fail to reason correctly about something is when I call two things by one name. This has lots of varieties and is described in many ways, but I just thought I'd try and increase its visibility. If you find yourself thinking that someone you respect is saying something fabulously stupid, this is a good thing to check on--is there anything you're calling by one name which they're splitting into two or more kinds?

Drunk post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
rinelk wrote:

Drunk post?

Quick... check the timestamp for his last post over in the "what are you drinking right now" thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Not sure what you mean.
I think that you mean they are creating subdivisions of (say) a concept or action (such as lawful killing meaning one thing Unlawful killing meaning another) but I cannot see how (unless they are being dicks) context would not make it clear what they mean.

"so do you agree with murder"
"well yes I think killing is acceptable in some instances"

Seems to me (in this scenario) they are being deliberately stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
One area I. Which I suspect this may be at work is "transgender". Merely because the outward indications share similarities is but a poor reason to conclude that everyone who is transgender shares an underlying cause. Lots of these discussions bring up the existence of biological sexual dimorphism. That might well be a primary factor in some but not all cases, and this difference might well make a big difference to how well some reasoning applies to one group but not the other.

Arguments about whether homosexual or heterosexual attraction is innate may well be suffering from the same confusion. Maybe some are and some aren't. Maybe it's even worse than that, and there's a continuum, or some even more complicated story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
One area I. Which I suspect this may be at work is "transgender". Merely because the outward indications share similarities is but a poor reason to conclude that everyone who is transgender shares an underlying cause. Lots of these discussions bring up the existence of biological sexual dimorphism. That might well be a primary factor in some but not all cases, and this difference might well make a big difference to how well some reasoning applies to one group but not the other.

Arguments about whether homosexual or heterosexual attraction is innate may well be suffering from the same confusion. Maybe some are and some aren't. Maybe it's even worse than that, and there's a continuum, or some even more complicated story.
Then the problem is talking about A when you mean B. Words have meanings.

transgender
transˈdʒɛndə,trɑːns-,-nz-/
adjective
adjective: transgender; adjective: transgendered

denoting or relating to a person whose self-identity does not conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender.

If someone chooses to use their own definition the problem lies with them. So if you are the one using transgender to mean "someone who has a sexual attraction to goats" you are at fault. If they are claiming it does not mean the above definition (from a dictionary), they are at fault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went into this thread thinking it would be about "2 girls, 1 cup".

not sure if disappointed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
its called a homonym you dumbass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
It really does depend on what your definition of "is" is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the responses, it appears this isn't a serious question, but isn't the term you're looking for in logical fallacies called "equivocation"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
What I see are cognitive black holes (anyone know a real word for this?) where many things end up because people just refuse to actually think about them. (Not pointing fingers.)

For example, anything that isn't fee-for-service medicine is Socialized Medicine. Except, of course, for the VA, which actually is socialized medicine, because it's in the cognitive black hole GI Benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
'Concept drift' happens a lot when people try and make more formal arguments with informal concepts. Few words only have one fixed means, and it's not hard to find examples of arguments in which the meaning of some word in the first paragraph of an argument is completely different than the meaning in the last, yet the writer has presented the argument (usually unknowingly) as if the concept is the same throughout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vapix
msg tools
mbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Based on the responses, it appears this isn't a serious question, but isn't the term you're looking for in logical fallacies called "equivocation"?
Agree.

When I read the OP I thought immediately of the "two versions of "faith" presented as one" assertion sometimes used here between people who believe in "big-G god" and atheists.

It can certainly happen by accident rather than by design, potentially causing a significant misunderstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:

I think a lot of arguments against transgendered people stem from complete naivety about the prevalence of intersexed conditions.

People are completely fine dismissing the psychological basis for being transgendered, but this oddly involves completely disregarding the fact that sex is not a simple binary for many people, let alone gender.

And yes, the etiology of homosexuality almost certainly operates along a spectrum of hereditary and environmental causes -- assuming it is entirely genetic is fallacious on the grounds of how life would be easier (and a specious argument about unnaturalness completely shut down) if that were so.

I've run into this a bit on RSP -- I use the term "racist" and "discrimination" not in the colloquial sense without thinking, and that causes confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Pike
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivocation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
'Concept drift' happens a lot when people try and make more formal arguments with informal concepts. Few words only have one fixed means, and it's not hard to find examples of arguments in which the meaning of some word in the first paragraph of an argument is completely different than the meaning in the last, yet the writer has presented the argument (usually unknowingly) as if the concept is the same throughout.

That's a classic equivocation, and it would certainly count. but there are lots of circumstances in which it seems unfair to accuse someone of equivocating when the distinction may not even exist yet. For example, a crucial question in lots of scientific pursuits is whether one is looking at a single phenomenon or not.

If you have ten cases of people with dizziness, dry mouth, and detachable ears, you're probably going to assume they all have the same cause and treat them similarly. But if there are actually two causes which have those effects, the treatment which works best most often might do jack for one set of patients. If you see that your treatment is highly effective in 6/10 patients but does little in 4/10, maybe it's just imperfect, or maybe there are really two things going on and it's a superb treatment for one of them. A case like this doesn't seem to me like an equivocation, exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
That's a classic equivocation, and it would certainly count. but there are lots of circumstances in which it seems unfair to accuse someone of equivocating when the distinction may not even exist yet. For example, a crucial question in lots of scientific pursuits is whether one is looking at a single phenomenon or not.

If you have ten cases of people with dizziness, dry mouth, and detachable ears, you're probably going to assume they all have the same cause and treat them similarly. But if there are actually two causes which have those effects, the treatment which works best most often might do jack for one set of patients. If you see that your treatment is highly effective in 6/10 patients but does little in 4/10, maybe it's just imperfect, or maybe there are really two things going on and it's a superb treatment for one of them. A case like this doesn't seem to me like an equivocation, exactly.

Ah, that situation is known as confounding: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confounding
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
sbszine wrote:
rinelk wrote:

Ah, that situation is known as confounding: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confounding

Yup. But I don't know of a single word or phrase commonly used for both confounding and equivocation (intentional or otherwise). I find it useful to bundle them under a single concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
sbszine wrote:
rinelk wrote:

Yup. But I don't know of a single word or phrase commonly used for both confounding and equivocation (intentional or otherwise). I find it useful to bundle them under a single concept.

In medicine, a similar set of symptoms from multiple etiologies (causes) is called a "syndrome".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vapix
msg tools
mbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
sbszine wrote:
rinelk wrote:

I think it's ok to group these together, but they are qualitatively different, and shouldn't have a single term.

Confounding is the result of e.g. missing the common cause of two distinct things, and because of that, seeing a false cause and effect relationship between them. It will show up as a false correlation which can't in isolation, be explained.

This will permanently confuse people who don't understand "correlation does not imply causation". If someone else explains or suggests the real cause (independent variable) most people will be open to the new information, and the discussion will move on.

OTOH equivocation is in the semantics/semiotics space. The only interesting cause and effect with equivocation is whether it's deliberately used as a substitute for a rational argument, or an accident due to a lack of information on the part of the user.

This leaves me thinking you're looking for something slightly different to both. Your OP seems to be looking for a word to describe an analysis error due to the analyst lacking a necessary concept, using an inappropriate alternative/proxy, and coming to an incorrect conclusion. I don't think this is well captured by either "equivocation" or "confounding", but I don't have a better suggestion.

Maybe look here?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_semantics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
sbszine wrote:
rinelk wrote:

But then you'd have two things with one name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:

Yes, and all transgender is is a word that refers to a symptom (and though in this case also the "condition"}, like shivering. It only has one meaning, it is why someone is transgender that may be different from someone else (though it is hard to see how).

It like turning round and saying there is more than one meaning to broken leg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.