$30.00
Thane Mullen
Canada
Easton
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the case that I advertised for playtesting in July. Thanks to some invaluable feedback from testers, I think that it's finally ready to be set loose.

It was designed to be played with the new Ystari printing of the map, directory, and list of allies.

Notes about the case:

*The case predates any of the canonical cases. Therefore, their newspapers do not come into play.

*I don't believe any of the characters that come up in this case played significant roles in any of the original ten cases, but they may have. If so, do not assume that any of the character traits that you learned about them from previous cases will apply to this one.

The first file is in MS Word (.docx), the second file is a PDF. Both contain the entire case (newspaper/intro/leads/questions/solution/answers).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/44bsbxhove0ru64/Holmes%201.docx?dl...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/26it1u43fxf61y6/Holmes%201.pdf?dl=...

Feel free to include comments/criticism in this thread, but please use spoiler tags when appropriate.

Thanks for the interest, and I hope that you enjoy the case.
Thane Mullen
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Starbäck
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tem117 wrote:
It was designed to be played with the new Ystari printing of the map, directory, and list of allies.

Even if designed that way, do you (or does anyone else) know if it will work with the older set as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thane Mullen
Canada
Easton
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I presume. I think people have played it with the older map and directory. The only difference I know of is some versions don't include Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes as allies. The Ystari version does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
I used the old map and directory and didn't have any problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Don't forget to upload it to the files section of BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thane Mullen
Canada
Easton
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernaar wrote:
Great! Don't forget to upload it to the files section of BGG!

Would I be overstepping my bounds by doing that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Watry
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
star wrote:
tem117 wrote:

Even if designed that way, do you (or does anyone else) know if it will work with the older set as well?

I play tested this as well and used the 1981 directory. I didn't use the map. I did a check on the directory with the 2011 version and all references were the same. I provided some feedback. I'll have to see the update. Fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thane Mullen
Canada
Easton
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still open to making minor tweaks to correct typos or clarify language, so if anyone notices anything amiss, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hulsebus
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We (my wife and I) just played this today. This was a really great case. Clearly this case was set up for people who like to take notes, and that's us (and it's definitely required)! What I really liked about it was how open-ended it was: we really had the freedom to research what we wanted to. I also liked how we took a different route to the answer but still ended up at the same basic answer

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We, for example, tried to figure out what this "big announcement" was an through narrowing it down and looking about we figured out that she must be pregnant. Then once we had that, we figured out what was going on with Charles from that

We did come up with a slightly different solution, though I see how the printed one makes sense.
Our solution was that Charles tailed Firk from the restaurant and then, at a dark place in the lamps, he used a quickly-lit match to signal to Edgar "this is the guy you need to kill" since we knew that Edgar's family hadn't seen him often while he was sickly and may not recognize him, especially at night. We explained the darkness because the lamplighter (him) was on the job and just maybe hadn't been there yet.

A few other additions
+Sorry, we didn't make a point circle typos, but I remember one: in the first sentence should be "the first week weeks _were_"
I thought it odd that the first place that Holmes would look was going to G O'G's place. I mean I follow the logic, sure. But it just seems an odd place to start with a murder. Still, again I'll say that I understand your logic so no need to change this if you don't want to. (Also, there were so many leads to follow that it makes sense that Holmes would follow this one since it's the oddest,

It's funny because my wife noticed the error also (how did the letters get into the paper if this just happened) but we wrote it off to it being a fan case at the time--that probably you were just looking to get everything in at once place.

And then an error in the directory somewhat affects you
In my Ystari edition, there is not "Continental Bank" under the alphabetical listings, but it does show up under Banks in the back listing. We didn't look for it under banks since it seemed like an investment firm name instead of a bank name when listed in the case

One nice touch we liked
I liked how when we visited the Livingston home, the carriage was leaving. It's fun how it seems like fluff information if you don't know what's going on, but it's something a little bit more informative if you realize that that must be Charles

All in all
GREAT CASE
I really think this is one of my favorite cases that I've played and that includes the cases that came with the game

Let me know if you make/made more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thane Mullen
Canada
Easton
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be vague in this post to keep it spoiler-free. Hopefully I will still get my point across.

Thanks for the feedback. I apologize for the delay in responding to it, but I am just seeing this post now.

Thanks for pointing out that bit about Continental Bank. Since I can't change the directory, I don't know if it should be rectified or not.

Regarding Holmes solution, that was a last minute change. He was originally going to take a more conventional approach in the same number of steps, but this just felt more Holmesian. It didn't seem like him to let something like that slide.

I'm a little surprised that after all the feedback I've gotten, no one has said one word about Sherlock Holmes' clue at 42 NW. It was the one that I stressed the most about to get the wording just perfect and to make the obscure reference just vague enough. Does it work? Is it misleading, or perhaps even too specific?

This is my only case that I've written thus far, but I do plan to spend some more time on writing over the holidays. Hopefully I'll have a new case completed that will be better with what I've learned from all this feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domitilla D'Amico
Italy
Ferentino (FR)
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Thane, Sherlock's advice seems to me too specific.
In my translation, it is rendered vaguely.

I think that something more subtle have to happen about [SPOILER] "that carriage" that leaves ESL house. Should we think about something?

Thank you,

D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished the case of "The Slain Scholar" and...wow!
Great case! Congratulations!
Well written, good mystery, great plot.
Also, very solid and inspired solution from Holmes.
A case of the original cases' quality to say the least.

tem117 wrote:

Regarding Holmes solution, that was a last minute change. He was originally going to take a more conventional approach in the same number of steps, but this just felt more Holmesian. It didn't seem like him to let something like that slide.

+1
Holmesian indeed!

tem117 wrote:

I'm a little surprised that after all the feedback I've gotten, no one has said one word about Sherlock Holmes' clue at 42 NW. It was the one that I stressed the most about to get the wording just perfect and to make the obscure reference just vague enough. Does it work? Is it misleading, or perhaps even too specific?

We didn't went to Baker Street when solving the case, but I read the 42NW clue after reading your post. I think it is all you mentioned: Too specific and misleading at the same time. In my opinion it's an odd clue that does not advance the case. But, you're the boss!

tem117 wrote:

This is my only case that I've written thus far, but I do plan to spend some more time on writing over the holidays. Hopefully I'll have a new case completed that will be better with what I've learned from all this feedback.

We are waiting anxiously...
Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.