Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just two easy rule questions before our second game:

Reactionary missle Fire: can a unit shoot an enemy unit who is in the firing arc each hex they move, or do they only get one chance to fire? As in, I'm moving in, am I stopping at every hex to take missle Fire from the same unit.

Advance to combat: I'm starting off facing enemy dead-on. First HO movement, may I change facing one vertex to advance to enemy at an angle, or must I walk.trot.run straight? This is for single HO, I know phalanx may pivot toward enemy.

Thank you for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryszard Tokarczuk
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Entry Reaction Fire works when enemy unit enters adjacent hex fron non-adjacent hex (ruling by Alan Ray in Chariots of Fire on Consimworld, but the wording is basically the same in Hoplite, or so I think )

2) I think that as long as you move towards enemy (given that you mention walk/trot/run) you can change facing. From practical point of view, it may mean that one friendly hoplite can put its` flank to potential danger... but it`s a gamble that can pay off.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) so it's adjacent to the missle unit is when you can be reactionary? Meaning the range chart is only for regular missle Fire? Our first game we played like this: "ok, I'm 3 hexes away, would you like to reaction Fire? Okay, now two hexes away.....every hex I moved we stopped and asked if reaction Fire was wanted by the other person. Your clarification sounds like we only do that when we move adjacent to the unit, assuming it is in the firing arc.

2) so a HO that needs to advance towards enemy per inertia rule, if they have "run" they could burn a MA point by changing facing and then advancing? I see what you mean about the flank, so based on what you are saying I could turn slightly, then move up a few hexes, then turn facing back to be dead-on with enemy unit (MA allowing, of course).

Sorry, just trying to clarify these two things. I found the rules to be quite clear overall, they are written well. Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryszard Tokarczuk
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Please, check 7.3 Reaction Fire in rulebook. There are several cases when inactive missile unit can fire in reaction... but they all boil down to range at 2 (when firing unit or target moves away) or 1 hex. Missile fire range and reaction fire "ranges" are not exactly the same.

2) I think your question is covered partially by 6.28: "Hoplite Phalanx may pivot (6.42) as long as it`s in the direction of the enemy". It`s being said about those 2-hex units, but I believe that the same idea would fit the single hex Hoplites.

There is no reason to worry about asking questions. I`m learning the rules that way as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, for 2) you are allowed because when you pivot your are literally still moving closer to the enemy (be it with on corner only). A single HO changing facing isn't actually "moving"...so what is there to stop a HO from changing his facing left and right continuously if they want to hold off the Run? This makes me think the exception for Phalanx units is exactly that, an exception.

back to 1) knowing missle range and reaction "range" are different makes the rules fall into place, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryszard Tokarczuk
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2) What is stopping "Running" single hex HO from expending all Movement Points for continuous change of their facing is, in my opinion, again 6.28. Once they Advance into Combat is decided (for example, they Run), Hoplite units must move *towards the enemy*. Sitting in one hex and turning left and right does not fulfill that particular requirement

(However, such interpretation of the rules would mean that according to rules the owning player can slow, but not stop, the advance of a single hex Hoplite by /ab/use of "changefacing"... A gamey tactic, impossible with Double Hex Hoplites, possible with Single Hex ones. Depends probably on players - I must say that my opponents never used this possibility. Plus, in Hoplite scenarios there aren`t that many battles with Single Hex Hoplites...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhh How about this to expand on your thought: you can change facing prior, but once you decide to go forward it activates inertia (as in, the first time you advance toward enemy)! Excellent, thanks for working with me on that. In Mycale I would like the option of HO not attacking on the coast but maybe everyone pushing left, not possible without the facing changing. So, I am assuming I would: change face. Decide to move forward in which I would first check the table. Then I get run. So I now run 4 hexes, because 1MP was used already used prior ( not gamey here since I had no prior knowledge of what the advance move result would be'and once I start forward movement I AM committed).

I think that's right. Might be worth going in the clarification file in the future, since it doesn't seem to be spelled out like most if the rules are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.