Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aleksander K
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the game on Essen wishlist of one of the users. As a father of two kids, I thought that this may be a really fun game to play with my wife, to decrease the stress and frustration that may be sometimes generated by kids... but the below description creates a picture of a game that is really aggressive, based mostly on a negative interaction... This for sure will be little of fun for most parents - who are more oriented on getting kids (in general) to be calm and quite rather than unhappy..

'Description' wrote:
In Baby Blues, every player is an employee in a daycare center. You are responsible for five babies, and you will have to do anything that is needed to keep them happy. As soon as they start crying, you won't be able to make them happy again. When a player is faced with five crying babies, the game is over and the other players score points for all non-crying babies. Every baby has a point value that is known only by the owner of the baby.

To make your life hard in the daycare center, opponents will attach bad cards to your babies so that they become nervous. At the end of your turn, you have to find a solution for a nervous baby or he'll start crying. A few things that happen in the game are stolen pacifiers, babies that need a diaper change, and crying babies that receive a toy horn so they can make even more noise. For almost every card played there is a reaction. For example, if an opponent makes your baby nervous, you can play calming music from a mobile, but as a reaction they can break your mobile to keep the baby nervous. You can feed your baby, but your opponents can steal your food...

I thought that employees in such a care center would rather cooperate to get all kids calm and happy... But maybe I was wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pogo The Turtle
msg tools
mb
Hi Aleksander,

Well it is true we quite focus on the pesky part of taking care of children, hence the name Baby Blues .

The author is a young father as well and this was his way of coping with the daily rumble with his lovely kids (he does live his kids, no question about that).

You're welcome to try the game in our Booth in Essen.
And you'll see it is not that aggressive. Just a struggle to keep the babies calm

Kind regards
Pogo the Turtle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumping Turtle Games wrote:
Hi Aleksander,

Well it is true we quite focus on the pesky part of taking care of children, hence the name Baby Blues .

The author is a young father as well and this was his way of coping with the daily rumble with his lovely kids (he does live his kids, no question about that).

You're welcome to try the game in our Booth in Essen.
And you'll see it is not that aggressive. Just a struggle to keep the babies calm

Kind regards
Pogo the Turtle

Yep. Live our kids.

Welcome to parenthood. Population you.

(Father of 2 here myself)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Bertelsen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I think the negative interaction is what makes the game great. You can play only one negative card in your turn, so you can't start bashing on one player on your own. In the first games I played you also don't really get it, but where you play the negative card is really important. There is a lot of psychology in the game. Always annoying the same player will result in reactions of that player, so during the game you will have to try playing negative cards without making anybody mad.

Also the trading is really great. This makes the game! You can lie about the card you give, but what do you give if you lie? If you want to lie, you don't want to give him any green cards (you need them yourselves), you also don't want to give him a red card (because he will play this his next turn on you), so maybe an orange cards, but only when you don't have any green cards at the table that he can counter.

If you get bashed by the players and you have only one baby left, you will also find somebody who will help you because there is always somebody who doesn't want the game to finish immediately because he thinks he isn't in the lead, so the game has a natural balancing mechanism.

Supported by the funny theme of the game I really don't feel this is such a hard game. I think games like Survive are more difficult to cope when somebody feeds your meeples to the sharkes and I still enjoy Survive. And for the kids. Isn't it important they learn to cope with this in a board game before they encounter it in real life? It's not always with great joy, but I still feed my kids to the sharks in Survive if I have the chance modest

Really, don't underestimate the strategies, psychology and fun that's in this little box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also think of it as a way for the "game" to generate conflict. You might see it as Player X is messing with me but in that case Player X is just providing the "randomness" that a given child would and you just need to roll with it.

My question is whether or not this game is that different than the Evil Babies game that came out last year....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Delme
Belgium
Ramsel
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. I even think it is better the players choose because I'm more bothered if I keep rolling a 1 when my opponents keep rolling 6. When other players decide the "randomness" you have somebody to blaim and you can take revenge and this is part of the game laugh If for example the diaper gets filled by a complete random factor and it's you over and over again I would really get annoyed.

What game are you thinking about? Is it Evil Baby Orphanage? While playtesting we always ask the game is like other games they played and somebody mentioned this game because of the theme, but he hadn't played it. I read the rules just to be sure but I really didn't see any resemblance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.