Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Gallant
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the heck out of FC. From the bits mentioned there seem to be many similar elements. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheeseburger wrote:
I enjoy the heck out of FC. From the bits mentioned there seem to be many similar elements. Thoughts?

Having played both, I think it is a completely different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I sure hope so. I know I'm in the minority, but Fleet Captains didn't capture the essence of Star Trek much at all. Combining Star Trek with the Mage Knight engine and having Andrew Parks (hopefully) smooth out the kinks though? That sounds very promising.

Just a bummer that Wizkids is publishing it. Mage Knight has been the only game in their catalogue that I've actually enjoyed, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm of the feeling that Fleet Captains is relatively complete. While I'd personally love to see one co-op Borg scenario/setup, I'm not holding my breath. Plus I could see that occurring in Frontiers a la Lost Legion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, really love Fleet Captains though I am still having a hard time finding the Romulan expansion. While it did take me a while to figure out this game, I love the combo of exploration and attack.

I would probably pick up another Star Trek game if it looks good, but FC is the closest that I've played that felt like Star Trek in a box.

I did just get my paws on West End Games Star Trek Adventure Game so that might change things...we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

go on Facebook
type in Star Trek Fleet Captains
they have a special page devoted to this game
(if you cannot find it contact me and I will
get you an address)

there are homemade - but extremely well done - expansions of

Borg (both as a player and as an NPC)
Orion
Ferengi
Gorn
Star Trek Mirror Universe
Vulcans

plus Doomsday Machine as an NPC

plus New hexes and cards for a Delta Quadrant experience

plus New Encounter cards

plus New hexes for the base game

plus New tokens (more visible on the hexes)

you can buy the plastic ships for these races if you want
you can print out the files to make your own cards
(we ordered new cards, hexes, and ships from companies
that make such things so the expansion "stuff" looks exactly like the original game components)

each race has its own 100 card deck plus ship cards

contact John Francis on the site
and he will help you get anything you want for Free!

everything is done in the format that the game uses
so when you mix it in you cannot tell the difference
(except on the Universe hexes which are a tad smaller)

You won't be disappointed and it gives new life to ST Fleet Captains

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A URL would be great, as there are at least two groups with the name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimmendarkgirl wrote:
I, too, really love Fleet Captains though I am still having a hard time finding the Romulan expansion. While it did take me a while to figure out this game, I love the combo of exploration and attack.

I would probably pick up another Star Trek game if it looks good, but FC is the closest that I've played that felt like Star Trek in a box.

I did just get my paws on West End Games Star Trek Adventure Game so that might change things...we'll see.

The Adventure Game is the closest thing I've found to Star Trek in a box...when it comes to TOS anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheeseburger wrote:

Will Star Trek Mage Knight kill Fleet Captains? No, no it won't.

Unless you mean, "will Fleet Captains not be reprinted?", then I'd say yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hegerty
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrobb wrote:

go on Facebook
type in Star Trek Fleet Captains
they have a special page devoted to this game
(if you cannot find it contact me and I will
get you an address)

Why not upload all of this to BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
I sure hope so. I know I'm in the minority, but Fleet Captains didn't capture the essence of Star Trek much at all. Combining Star Trek with the Mage Knight engine and having Andrew Parks (hopefully) smooth out the kinks though? That sounds very promising.

I have to admit that I've only played Mage Knight once and that was a few years ago, but it seemed to be a combat oriented game with movement/exploration mechanic. I'm not seeing how a Mage Knight re-theme is going to do a better job of handling diplomatic or science missions than Fleet Captains currently does. I'm curious to know how you feel FC falls short and what mechanics in MK are going to fix that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

I have to admit that I've only played Mage Knight once and that was a few years ago, but it seemed to be a combat oriented game with movement/exploration mechanic. I'm not seeing how a Mage Knight re-theme is going to do a better job of handling diplomatic or science missions than Fleet Captains currently does. I'm curious to know how you feel FC falls short and what mechanics in MK are going to fix that.

Mage Knight is focused on combat, true, but there is a lot of the system that could be redesigned and reoriented to non-combat tasks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

FC starts off true to the show with exploration and missions, but I always felt it degenerated into constant fighting. Granted I only played the base game, and it was awhile ago. Star Trek is about exploration and storytelling, not warfare.

Mage Knight seems like a natural fit because every hex has multiple locations to explore, it supports multiple play styles (solo, co-op, and competitive), and it has a wide variety of scenarios. I'm hoping they don't go the route of capturing castles to win like in MK, but it would be interesting to see some famous locations like the Neutral Zone and the Badlands play into different scenarios. There could also be a Borg Cube attack, or a situation where you have to transport a very important ambassador through dangerous locations. The possibilities are endless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
FC starts off true to the show with exploration and missions, but I always felt it degenerated into constant fighting.

I don't disagree with this, but IMHO the problem was not with the FC system itself but because the Klingon's were built to win via combat missions, which you have to do for thematic reasons. I think if you had a second race/faction in the game with a science/diplomacy focus, you would come closer to the Trek feel. However, I think if there were such a race, the game turns into multiplayer solitaire. (I've only played Romulans once and never played Dominion.)

Quote:
Granted I only played the base game, and it was awhile ago. Star Trek is about exploration and storytelling, not warfare.... I'm hoping they don't go the route of capturing castles to win like in MK.

Again, I don't disagree, but I think the mistake in your thinking is that the Federation was not about warfare, but the Klingons are. FC doesn't really capture the Trek philosophy because it is not so much a "Star Trek game" as it is a Feds vs Klingons game. Similarly, Star Trek is not so much about conflict as it is about how teamwork can overcome adversity. (a.k.a. Friendship is Magic!) Its going to be very hard for any company to make a non co-op Star Trek game that is still thematic. Its interesting that Runebound 3E will have three quest types (combat, diplomacy, and I forget the other) which almost sounds like they tore a page out of the FC book. If they took that idea and made it a co-op instead of a PvP race, it seems like it would be ripe for a Trek retheme. This is why I am hopeful that the Mage Knight will work as Trek, because it similar to Runebound and I know there are co-op scenarios for it [MK]. But if, as you say, it turns into castle capturing, I don't see how its going to be any better than FC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Similarly, Star Trek is not so much about conflict as it is about how teamwork can overcome adversity. (a.k.a. Friendship is Magic!) Its going to be very hard for any company to make a non co-op Star Trek game that is still thematic. Its interesting that Runebound 3E will have three quest types (combat, diplomacy, and I forget the other) which almost sounds like they tore a page out of the FC book. If they took that idea and made it a co-op instead of a PvP race, it seems like it would be ripe for a Trek retheme. This is why I am hopeful that the Mage Knight will work as Trek, because it similar to Runebound and I know there are co-op scenarios for it [MK]. But if, as you say, it turns into castle capturing, I don't see how its going to be any better than FC.

No need to go full coop. Mage Knight still plays excellently as a competitive game with the PvP rules excluded. Players are then competing for status, not by beating each other up but by doing the best at Mage Knighting around the countryside.

Starfleet is certainly not above captains vying for status and recognition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
I sure hope so. I know I'm in the minority, but Fleet Captains didn't capture the essence of Star Trek much at all.

Sure it did, if you were talking about the odd numbered Star Trek movies. Then it captured the essence perfectly .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Vienna
European Union
flag msg tools
badge
live every day as if it were your first
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Fleet Captains didn't capture the essence of Star Trek much at all

actually a fascinating opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumpwalker wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

Yeah... i'm trying to figure that statement out, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
jumpwalker wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

Yeah... i'm trying to figure that statement out, too.

I opted to not dignify it with a response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a Vlaada game, so chances are good it's overbearing, overly complicated and much more on the euro side than Fleet Captains.

That being said, let's wait and see how this turns out. Can't stop the hype train after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In reality it shouldn't by design if they are smart. FC is a great game that gives you the combat side of the trek universe in a tight little board game along with objectives. If you want the pure combat they already have the Attack wing. This new Trek game should concentrate on a more passive star trek experience.

I'm looking forward to this game as long as they haven't dumbed it down to much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Torres
United States
FONTANA
California
flag msg tools
tumorous wrote:

No need to go full coop. Mage Knight still plays excellently as a competitive game with the PvP rules excluded. Players are then competing for status, not by beating each other up but by doing the best at Mage Knighting around the countryside.

Starfleet is certainly not above captains vying for status and recognition.

Competitive is the only way we play Mage Knight now. Tried Coop and it just bogged the game down with too much planning. Tried pvp and it was far too unforgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having owned and played bith. No. FC is heavy but good. MK is a pc game with horrible downtime.

Lets seee....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Costrino
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I understood correctly, so far we know that the game has ONE mechanic in common with Mage Knight. It is too soon to say it will be Mage Knight with a Star Trek theme.

Moreover, Vlaada's game are completely different from one another. Compare Mage Knight with Bunny Bunny Mouse Mouse, Space Alert, Through the Ages, Galaxy Trucker and Tash Kalar, for instance.

So let's wait! I love FC and I hope they don't forget it, but it will be great if ST: Frontiers hits a home-run too!

LLP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
costrino wrote:
If I understood correctly, so far we know that the game has ONE mechanic in common with Mage Knight. It is too soon to say it will be Mage Knight with a Star Trek theme.

Moreover, Vlaada's game are completely different from one another. Compare Mage Knight with Bunny Bunny Mouse Mouse, Space Alert, Through the Ages, Galaxy Trucker and Tash Kalar, for instance.

So let's wait! I love FC and I hope they don't forget it, but it will be great if ST: Frontiers hits a home-run too!

LLP

What I hope for from this game is: a focus on one ship per player, and the adventures of it and its gallant crew. With more of a narrow focus (one ship, instead of a fleet), Frontiers can fill that gap between Expeditions (One episode of Star Trek, featuring an adventure on one planet) and Fleet Captains (mass fleetwide activity). If so, then it will fit perfectly in Wizkids' Star Trek family, filling its own needed niche, while not "replacing" anything else (like Fleet Captains).

If anything, I can almost see this having more of the DNA of West End Games' old Star Trek: The Adventure Game; being more character-driven and RPG-ish than Fleet Captains/Expeditions/Attack Wing... which is perfectly fine by me. The more Trek games, the merrier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.