David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my understanding that after Hasbro obtained Avalon Hill, they then transferred the rights to those games to some other semi-independent or totally independent entity (WOTC?) which then went on to reissue some wargames. They also issued the coolest ever edition of Acquire. AFAIK that was the only game from the 3M bookshelf line to be reissued.

I have been in contact with someone who says he is Alex Randolph's nephew. He mentions an "editor" who apparently intends to reissue Twixt, which Randolph invented. I would like to warn him about possible legal issues, inasmuch as Hasbro might believe they hold exclusive rights to the game. Can anyone provide a name, an email address, or a web link which might provide useful info I could relay?

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
AH and Hasbro are "publishers" not "retailers"... I'd check their forums and if you can't find the info and don't get the answer here to try there....

The Avalon Hill Game Co

Avalon Hill Games, Inc.

Hasbro

ymmv

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Have a word with them about 'Up Front' while you're at it. I think the legal rights to AH games is a murky labyrinth - I'm not sure even Hasbro know what they own and don't own. I heard they tried to stop one designer publishing his game under a new company, not realising he had regained control of the game at the demise of AH.

I can only wish you good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
Recent Avalon Hill releases from Hasbro come from their Wizards of the Coast division, so that would be the place to start if you think that the original Avalon Hill owned the Twixt IP when it closed.

However, going by the Twixt page, the most recent edition of Twixt dates from 1998, long after the old AH closed. It is by Kosmos, who are likely to have done the IP side of things properly. Whether they acquired ownership of the IP or just a license, it is at least very likely that any uncertainties about rights to the IP were clarified at that time.

On the upside, this means that it is likely to be possible to establish who owns the IP, and if necessary to negotiate for a license. On the downside, it means that it is probably in the hands of a big company accustomed to combatting IP infringement, making the prospect of publishing without permission somewhat risky.

Maybe a light reskinning could get around this, particularly given the game's early history, but probably not while retaining the Twixt name. IANAL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.