Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all. I have a question about what happens when cards directly contradict each other. I know about the section in the rulebook where is says, in general, the card that says "you cant" will trump the card that says "you can" but this doesn't apply here.

I was playing wizards + mad scientists. One of the bases said "If a minion here would be destroyed, place it on the bottom of its owners deck". I played an action on the base that said "Play on a base: If one of your minions here would be destroyed, place it into your hand instead of your discard pile."

As soon as I played it everyone agreed "well that's dumb, the action you played does nothing because the base sends it to the bottom of your deck". I argued that the action modified the base conditions for me, and that my minions here would go to my hand if destroyed. In reality, I didn't really care, I had a handful of cards and would have had to discard anyway.

Well after some discussion we were 50/50, some arguing the action took precedence, others arguing the base takes precedence.

So I ask you BGG, what is the proper ruling? I will say that none of my minions ended up getting destroyed there, so it didn't really matter for this case.

PS: I always think mad scientists/wizards is going to SLAY, but alas, it never serves me. the abundance of weak minions cannot be made up for by the stellar actions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Medusa
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with the base's ability always happening first/taking priority, because logically it's the environment you're playing into, which would always take effect unless you guarded against it. I would agree with the ruling that your card would have no effect on that base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say if two effects would happen at the same time, then the current player decides which order they occur. So on your turn, you can decide the cards go to your hand instead of on the bottom of your deck. On everyone else's turn, they can send it to the bottom of the deck instead of your hand. Or vice versa, but that's probably what would happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Or vice versa, but that's probably what would happen.

I suppose if you were playing ghosts your opponent might choose to put the card back into your hand, but that seems like an edge case.

Not that this part is really directly related to your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok thanks for the responses!

one of the few smash up rules scenarios where I have been wrong yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frenzied coder
msg tools
For reference:

Tar Pits - breakpoint 16 - VP's: 4 3 2 - After each time a minion is destroyed here, place it at the bottom of its owner's deck.
http://smashup.wikia.com/wiki/Tar_Pits

1x Grave Situation - Play on a base. Ongoing: After one of your minions is destroyed here, place it into your hand instead of the discard pile.
http://smashup.wikia.com/wiki/Grave_Situation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Thomason
New Zealand
Nelson
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The way we play this, and I would argue that it's the correct way, is that your action has no effect. This would be because your card specifically says 'instead of the discard pile' where due to the base ability, the minion isn't heading to the discard pile but to the bottom of your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.