Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone pointed this out to me. Here is the source: http://www.gatheringmagic.com/adamstyborski-082015-magic-the...

But of particular note is this:
“This expansion adds new Planeswalkers, creatures, and spells for players to supercharge their games, and it requires the core Arena of the Planeswalkers game. More details will be revealed at PAX Prime at the end of August,” Angus Walker, Brand and Marketing Director at Hasbro shared by e-mail.

fastbilly1 found this new info. New expansion is called Battle for Zendikar and the expansion unlocks two new Planeswalkers - Kiora and Ob Nixilis - and new spells and squads for these characters. Kiora is the first dual color planeswalker using blue/green.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/battle-zendikar-info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Some tidbit info on new expansions!
gamjuven wrote:
Someone pointed this out to me. Here is the source: http://www.gatheringmagic.com/adamstyborski-082015-magic-the...

But of particular note is this:
“This expansion adds new Planeswalkers, creatures, and spells for players to supercharge their games, and it requires the core Arena of the Planeswalkers game. More details will be revealed at PAX Prime at the end of August,” Angus Walker, Brand and Marketing Director at Hasbro shared by e-mail.

New Planeswalkers! That's pretty cool. I was not expecting new Planeswalkers so soon. I can't wait for Pax Prime to see what else is in store and how much. Great news. Only a week away.

I expected new planeswalkers fairly fast actually, given the amount of things that stress "A Blue Planeswalker" or "One of your Black Planeswalkers". The new spells was a given to me because they stress deck building but we currently have no options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Smits
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I hope I can pick this game up for a reasonable price at Essen.

Maybe even with some expansions thrown in. It sounds fun. I got my base set of heroscape years ago, as a start to my boardgame collection. And I haven't been able to find any expansions of any sort. And to find something similar is exciting. With the MTG flavor added to it too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More squads seems more important to me. Only having two units in a game with your Planeswalker seems weird, coming from a Heroscape background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone is at Pax Prime and could update us on news that would be awesome! I can't seem to find an announcement of when they will release the new info though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PAX Prime is in Seattle, so it is only 0900 there right now. Odds are it wont be an actual announcement, it will just be on display. I would not expect anything for atleast three more hours at the earliest.

Edit:
Expansion will be called Battle for Zendikar. Looks to add two planeswalkers and that is it:
http://www.gatheringmagic.com/news-08282015-arena-of-the-pla...

This is an odd choice. I really hope that this is just the planeswalkers, and that there will be more squads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stokes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fastbilly1 wrote:
PAX Prime is in Seattle, so it is only 0900 there right now. Odds are it wont be an actual announcement, it will just be on display. I would not expect anything for atleast three more hours at the earliest.

Edit:
Expansion will be called Battle for Zendikar. Looks to add two planeswalkers and that is it

This is an odd choice. I really hope that this is just the planeswalkers, and that there will be more squads

The article you linked has been updated. It says along with the two new planeswalkers and spells that there will be new squads. No info on the color(s) or amount of squads. I'm excited for the first multi-color planeswalker! Blue and green is my favorite combo in the card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiora is one of my fave PWers, so I'm happy! I hope we get a kraken for her squad, but they may be too large.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd hope we get two colors of spells and squads for her!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
More squads seems more important to me. Only having two units in a game with your Planeswalker seems weird, coming from a Heroscape background.

Yeah, more squad options would be good. Maybe a boxed set with a squad or two of each color?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CriesJuggernaut wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:

Edit:
Expansion will be called Battle for Zendikar. Looks to add two planeswalkers and that is it

The article you linked has been updated. It says along with the two new planeswalkers and spells that there will be new squads. No info on the color(s) or amount of squads. I'm excited for the first multi-color planeswalker! Blue and green is my favorite combo in the card game.

Hard to see all that for what I saw as a MSRP of $19.95...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stokes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
CriesJuggernaut wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:

Edit:

Hard to see all that for what I saw as a MSRP of $19.95...

Really? The MSRP of the base game is $30 if I recall. That comes with 35 miniatures, 60 spell cards and 15 army cards. That's on top of the modular board pieces, the terrain pieces (plastic and cardboard), the damage markers, glyphs, various dice and rulebook.

If both of the planeswalkers in the expansion come with 2 3-unit squads that'll be 14 minis and 6 army cards. Then 24 spell cards if we get the 12 cards per planeswalker they gave us in the base game (though it doesn't look like they'll be standalone decks). Combined with my assumption that we won't be getting a lot of the extra bits and game board pieces that typically only come with base sets and that's a lot less than half of the components for two thirds of the price.

So with the MSRP of the expansion being $20 I don't think getting new planeswalkers, spells and squads/heroes is out of the question. In fact I think the question is how much of them we'll be getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is clearly priced to introduce people to the game and get me hooked. Don't expect as great a value in the expansions in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Abrucia
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update (8.28.2015): Gathering Magic has received more information about Arena of the Planeswalkers: Battle for Zendikar. The expansion unlocks two new Planeswalkers - Kiora and Ob Nixilis - and new spells and squads for these characters.

Arena of the Planeswalkers: Battle for Zendikar is scheduled to be released in January 2016 and is expected to retail for $19.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hernandez
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now available on Amazon:

Magic The Gathering Arena of the Planeswalkers Battle for Zendikar Board Game Expansion Pack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This says the Eldrazi Ruiner is a "colorless Hero" which can be summoned by any Planeswalker. Does this mean that in the everyone else vs the Ruiner scenario the Ruiner is also working with a Planeswalker, or is that only when his smaller card is being used? I'd expect that when using his more heroic stat card he's working alone, or perhaps with a subordinate squad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that the Eldrazi has a card with different stats for the Ruiner scenario, where it is played against a team of Planeswalkers. There is an alternate card for playing it as a summoned hero in standard games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fusionkast wrote:

It says in stock!
surprise
I thought this was for January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Vydar wrote:
My understanding is that the Eldrazi has a card with different stats for the Ruiner scenario, where it is played against a team of Planeswalkers. There is an alternate card for playing it as a summoned hero in standard games.

I can confirm this from already having played the 3 vs. 1 Eldrazi Ruiner scenario at SPIEL Essen in October (*click for my log*) and also from the info already gathered here:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showpost.php?s=9b846190...
You can see images of the page/card for both Eldrazi Ruiner versions there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.