Subject: CANADIANS! Is the dollar negatively impacting... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
your Kickstarting habits??

I just recently kickstarted the Keyflower Expansions. It seemed like a decent enough deal until.... dun dun dun .... the dreaded Exchange rate hit. $58 USD for two expansions, I thought? Heck yeah! Merchants is at my FLG for $45 on it's own (farmers not even available!)

Oh hrmm, typical awful Canadian shipping rates? $20 USD? Ok well, that will bring it up to roughly about what I would pay in store - and I can still get my hands on Farmers and the promo tile!

Kickstarter funded, project completed - accept my rewards and begin the impatient waiting.

Oh, hello Visa bill. Oh... $105 for a Keyflower kickstarter. Welp.

I've now had to pass on a couple of other projects simply because they're going to be over $100, too. For the ones that will make it to stores, I will end up getting cheaper by that route.

Kind of frustrating, anyone else annoyed with our poor dollar and it's negative impact on our expensive hobby?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
YES! Every time I do the conversion nothing seems worth it. The Conan pledge manager is coming soon and I know I'm going to drop it because the dollar is so bloody awful.

Do you remember when our dollar was more than the USD? Those were the good old days, the prosperous days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domeless Avenger
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
it certainly is impacting my decisions. I have a hard enough time deciding WHICH game to buy, now there is an extra cost factor depending on where it is coming from. Even the slight '$20 shipping' add ons you describe get rather costly once exchange rate kicks in! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
Jebstone wrote:
your Kickstarting habits??

Absolutely - especially so when there is an additional cost for shipping to Canada. I used to line up delivery to US post stop with cross-border groceries but there's no point in that, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a factor for me as well. Truthfully I am cutting back on Kickstarter in general, however the crappy exchange rate makes that a bit "easier".

I've noticed some of the prices at the places I've shopped have increased to as a result.

Boo loonie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't really noticed it during my recent purchase. Sometimes it takes a little while to adjust pricing. I have only kickstarted once (and not personally but I tagged onto a friend's order) and I am still waiting for my gripmat two years later. That showed me that Kickstarter wasn't for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie Orris
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started to order Day of Days from MMP, an expensive ($120) game. Then, when the calculated shipping came to $80, I cancelled the order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shifty203 1
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I have severly cut back my gaming purchases to pretty much $0 per month.

Its not that I couldn't just have cut back a little bit, still spent maybe $200 per month, and only gotten 2 games instead of 3 or something like that. Its the sheer sticker shock on the games that have been driving me away from buying any, either online or from the FLGS. And yes, I've noticed alot of games at the FLGS suddenly jumping 15-20 bucks each. I noticed some of the big Battlefoam bags that were 200 when I was looking, are now 300.

Its not just games though. I was at a local music shop, and I bought my Dad a turntable for christmas for $199 regular sticker price. The same turntable is now $299.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very hard to swallow, indeed.
Our shipping expenses are ridiculous for sure. I mean, every gram of weight, every corner of the box meticulously measured, I almost start to pull out my credit card instead of paying cash from my pocket. OMG.
As far as shipping, I go the least expensive route, but paying the extra cost, yes EXTRA cost of including a tracking number. I really would have hoped this would be normally included - nope, an extra $5.00.
As far as travelling - uh, we travel anyway, a lot of time to the U.S. I've bought U.S. money years ago when our dollar was at 65 cents!!!! Ridiculous.
The bottom line is - wait for a close to equal $ exchange or live life now.

An old fellow told me years ago that a person should have 2 lives - 'the first to live it and the 2nd to do it right'. However, you only get one go around. Do it now or lament later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not Canadian but the same thing is happening to us in NZ - the exchange rate is really sucking right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coltbeatsall wrote:
I'm not Canadian but the same thing is happening to us in NZ Australia - the exchange rate is really sucking right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pains of the Commonwealth. I feel for you, my Oceanic brothers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same for us in Australia too - The A$ was at pretty much parity with the US$ about 18 months ago - it is currently at 74c.
Basically this increases prices for us by about 30%, and THEN we have to pay crazy shipping too. It's pretty much stopped me backing anything on KS unless it's something I absolutely cannot pass up (and there is very little of that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McDonald
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Yuan dropping again and potentially another devaluation next week... I hope the Aussie will gain some traction for you guys soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Gauthier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That first hit me after I backed Heroes Wanted: The Stuff of Legend, making an expansion as expensive, if not more, then the base game.

I didn't backed a single game since that day, I rather wait for the retail version, even if it doesn't have any KS promos.

I won't even write about shipping adding to the cost.

As I'm writing this 1 Canadian Dollar equals 0.76 US Dollar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not much of a kickstarter so it isn't hurting me there.

But... as our game stores sell out of their current stock and have to order more, they'll be paying a higher exchange rate and we'll start to see the higher prices in stores too. So waiting won't necessarily save you on the exchange rate part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Rutherford
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, this dollar is killer across the board. Both on Kickstarter (I just recently did the Scoville + Labs one myself) and in the FLGS. Costs are going up right now on most of the product, in particular, you might want to grab FFG stuff sooner than later..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Guibord
Canada
Vaudreuil-dorion
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I'm seeing the impact everywhere now.

Just recently filled in my survey for the Epic kickstarter. They were offering to pre-order the next big expansion for Star Realms (I love star realms) for what seems very reasonable but once you factor in the conversion rate for the expansion and additional shipping cost, I decided to hold on it. I should get this one a lot cheaper at retails.

Did also notice some items getting their price jack at my FLGS. I asked them about it and they were saying pricing on their supplier jumped so they had to adjust themselves, directly related to the exchange rate right now.

I'm avoiding buying this outside of canada right now. Even online you notice price going up now. I guess I'll be spending less on this hobby for a little while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully the world will realize that the american dollar is toilet paper soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
The exchange rate is pushing most kickstarters past the threshold where I am willing to spend the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warpig72 wrote:
I won't even write about shipping adding to the cost.

As I'm writing this 1 Canadian Dollar equals 0.76 US Dollar.
how does shipping within the US compare to going to Canada (not directed at you since you won't write about it , but perhaps somebody else could chime in)? Is it typically $20 to $30 CAD more for a given order?

Is the exchange rate always been a sticking point, or are there other factors that make it worse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
That kick starter was badly priced from the get go (for Canada). I got Merchants for 37$ or something retail in May. It was not worth getting farmers from this kickstarter at the time of it. 28$USD was already ~$33.60, without shipping (the 59 is no better at about 70$ before shipping).

I don't buy abroad, so it has affected nothing. Shipping alone from the US kills it.

20$ shipping from the US is also pretty much a given (minimum), so nothing to be shocked by (and again, I don't buy board games abroad).

Furthermore, you seem to have missed something critical, the exchange rate during that campaign was already about ~1.20 (keep in mind CC / bank exchange will add another 5% on top of the exchange rate. So really, this price should not be surprising at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McNeil
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:

Do you remember when our dollar was more than the USD? Those were the good old days, the prosperous days.

Not so prosperous for the manufacturing, film, or tourism industries.

And it's still far better now than the late 90s/early 00s; it got down below $0.63 a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McNeil
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Is the exchange rate always been a sticking point, or are there other factors that make it worse?

It's the shipping.

My last games order was four games: $130.80, taxes $17.13, flat rate shipping $11.95. $148 before shipping, $160 total.

If I ordered those games from Funagain right now, it would cost me $131US. So the unconverted sticker price is actually no less. (I just picked Funagain off the top of my head, there might be a better deal someplace.) I'd pay no taxes (and usually no import duties), but the exchange rate (131/0.76 = $172Cdn) means I pay an extra $24 on the games themselves.

But Funagain charges me $79US to send a box across the border with UPS. So the real total would be (131+79)/0.76 = $276Cdn, or $116 (73%) more than I needed to pay. In other words, only one-fifth of the markup for ordering from the US is the current exchange rate on the goods themselves. The other four-fifths is the shipping charges.

I don't buy games on Kickstarter in any case. But ordering games from south of the border was never a good idea, even with the dollar at par.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went nuts backing games when I first starting checking out KS. Now I'm much more picky and factor in our crappy dollar and the shipping. So the shipping/exchange has not prevented me so much as me becoming more conservative about what I back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.