Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Deck-Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fortune Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a question about Fortune cards (I believe that's what they're called, the ones that you buy for free.) Especially the ones that let you draw cards. Since you're technically purchasing Fortune cards, it seems like the sequence of events would be:

1. Play cards from hand.

2. Buy cards, including a Fortune card.

3. Resolve the effect, which might involve drawing cards.

4. Discard your hand, including the cards you just drew?

Now of course, you can get around this by just purchasing the Fortune card during your turn and not when you're supposed to at the end. But is the above sequence correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
You do purchase Fortune cards, but the turn sequence isn't so rigid as this↑. The rules appear to make it so, but if you read under the heading Order of Playing Your Cards, it states the following:
Quote:
When you have played all the cards you wish to play at that time, total up the Power you have accumulated and buy what you wish to buy...You do not have to play all of the cards in your hand before you start making purchases if you don't wish to.

I've italicized the text that I believe implies a more flexible turn sequence. That is, you are in fact able to go as far as to purchase, play cards, purchase more, play more, and purchase again. However, the only cards you could possibly purchase before playing would be the cost $0 Fortune cards.

The mere presence of the Fortune card you mentioned supports this↑ implication. Otherwise, it would be useless. Another example would be this: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Deck-Building Game – Merry & Pippin Promos, as it produces extra power only after you've already purchased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can continue to play cards after you have bought cards. So, you can buy a fortune that draws you cards, play those cards you drew, and buy more cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Guy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can also buy cards and then activate them with a card which allows you to get a card out of your discard pile and then play that. Works really well with Moria Orcs + Twilight Ringwraith!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.