Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fhtagn!

Welcome to Cthultoids (or The Mint Tin of Cthulhu) - a teeny tiny game of megamassive cosmic evil being made for the 2015 Mint Tin Design Contest

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1398349/2015-mint-tin-desig...

At last...

...It's available for download as a zip archive from dropbox.

version 0.2 (dated 26/10/2015) is the final/contest ready version.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kxya1ck7xhp4fq/Cthultoids%20v0.2....

Disclaimer:

Ok - This is my first game since I was about 13, 3 decades ago, so I may be rusty and I didn't even know where to get a mint tin the correct size in the UK... Then I found an online seller for Altoids and I ordered 3 tins.
They arrived this afternoon, and being H P Lovecraft's 125th birthday I thought it fitting to try coming up with a suitably cthulhoid game. A few hours later and I've got a prototype that I'm testing like mad & thought it about time I get my WIP page set up.

So Happy Birthday HPL! And I hope anyone trying this little game enjoys it.

Overview

Cthultoids is a game where you race against other cultists to bring about the return of Great Cthulhu when the stars are right.

It's a card and dice game, featuring 126 cards and 6 dice - with a mix of randomness and planning. A sort of Cthulhoid cross of Yahtzee and Beetle Drive with added card-based options.

Heck - that sounds bad even to me, but the idea looks pretty darn good right now and hopefully if testing/initial dev goes well enough I'll have a better write up in a few days.

It sounds a lot, but the cards and dice all fit comfortably in a standard Altoids mint tin (of the size specified in the competition thread).

I'm currently thinking that it will be fun with 2+ people, maybe topping out at 6 or so, with a solo mode envisaged with just a few minor tweaks.

Timeline

My prototype is currently 10% printed and 90% drawn on in pen, so no files to print and play yet...
- Hope to have initial files available in the next few days (otherwise it'll have to be in about the 2nd week of September due to what mrs JD has named holiday/vacation - or 'play testing' as I call it).

-----------
EDITED:
26/10/2015 - posted v0.2 dropbox download link and added the two images

31/10/2015 - edited to reflect v0.2 as final/contest ready version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Cthultoids (or The Mint Tin of Cthulhu)
Sounds interesting! Wow do 126 cards really fit into the tin?! I guess they're mini cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelzky wrote:
Sounds interesting! Wow do 126 cards really fit into the tin?! I guess they're mini cards...
They are mini cards - probably similar or slightly smaller than the small cards in Arkham Horror.

As I've just posted in the contest thread:

The cards are about 51mm x 34mm and printed on 200gsm card. That fits nicely (with decent margins) as 21 cards (7x3) on a sheet of A4. So currently it's 126 cards as that's 6 sheets full.

The cards fit into the tin in two stacks with the long side perpendicular to the tins long side.

Currently it's one stack of 96 cards, with the remaining 30 cards in the second stack next to them with the 15mm dice on top of the second stack. It's fits nicely with what I think should be enough spare room for a sheet of A5 paper printed with the rules.

Believe me that the first thing I did after thinking up the base idea was to decide on a prototype card size and print 6 sheets of blank cards to cut & check that they would fit!

I believe that there's enough slack in the cards that, if necessary, I can jiggle the numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I wasn't doubting that you hadn't testing it - I was just surprised! ^_^ ive subscribed to this thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE

Real life made me quite busy the past few days, but I've managed to create a printed prototype. Of course, in the process I changed a fair bit (only the details, not the overall structure of the game although I have added a solo variant and game-controlled players for solo or to make multiplayer harder).

Because of this I've created PNGs and a rules PDF but want to stick the game through some testing before I publish them.
Hopefully I'll get a few games in tomorrow on a train to Edinburgh, and if I do (and I'm happy enough) then the files are sat in a folder on my dropbox ready to share.

So, hopefully, I'll have some Print & Play files up tomorrow for a still-pretty-much-untested game...

Until then, here's some photos of my initial prototype deck - and no, before you ask, I'm not a professional artist.

Oooh - it's a box of mints! Yippeee!

Oh - they're not mints...

Aaaarggghhhh!!! The stars are right! Cthulhu!

You'll notice it's gone up to 7 dice and that the dice in the photos are blank... I have some 15mm blanks for writing custom dice, but decided to go with just normal d6s for this game, and I couldn't find normal dice that small in my various spare supplies. So I've got some winging their way from Amazon and the blanks pictured are just temporary stand-ins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Hi David. How's the playtesting going? Look forward to checking out the rules and components!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
You'll notice it's gone up to 7 dice and that the dice in the photos are blank... I have some 15mm blanks for writing custom dice, but decided to go with just normal d6s for this game, and I couldn't find normal dice that small in my various spare supplies. So I've got some winging their way from Amazon and the blanks pictured are just temporary stand-ins.

um. Standard d6s fit fine in a altoids tin. You can fit 15 of them in.

I buy bicycle brand dice from the local Dollar General. Also seen them at Meijers and Targets. About 5 for a dollar or so. Better quality and weight than cheap dollar store dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
R4D6 wrote:
Hi David. How's the playtesting going? Look forward to checking out the rules and components!
I've been, maybe aptly, driving myself crazy frantically trying to rework it as something felt decidedly off - and I suspected it may have had a lot to do with deck size/balance of various card types...

So after a big rebalancing I'm currently cutting out the next prototype to bash about.

Starting to realise I need to get it 'out there' for you guys...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
JudgementDave wrote:

I buy bicycle brand dice from the local Dollar General. Also seen them at Meijers and Targets. About 5 for a dollar or so. Better quality and weight than cheap dollar store dice.
All these shop names I've never heard of in the UK...

Whilst standard d6s will happily fit into an Altoids tin by themselves, all the cards I've fit in seriously cut down the room available.

Not sure how light the cheap dollar store dice are, or the other brands, but the ones I ordered online aren't bad - though obviously they're lighter than bigger dice. I really couldn't justify metal dice just for the weight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
JudgementDave wrote:

All these shop names I've never heard of in the UK...

Whilst standard d6s will happily fit into an Altoids tin by themselves, all the cards I've fit in seriously cut down the room available.

Not sure how light the cheap dollar store dice are, or the other brands, but the ones I ordered online aren't bad - though obviously they're lighter than bigger dice. I really couldn't justify metal dice just for the weight!

I believe they're all American stores that we don't have here - our equivalent would possibly be places like Wilko, Woolworths (now part of "Very" - RIP), Poundland and the 99p store

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At long last v0.2 (the first I've made public) is available for download.

So without further ado, here it is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kxya1ck7xhp4fq/Cthultoids%20v0.2....

It's a zip archive of PDFs and PNGs with instructions on assembly.

I've never really shared anything on dropbox before - but it looks like I can only share individual files unless I upgrade my account... Please shout up if you know that's not the case and I'm just being thick and missing something!

If you distrust zip files, the individual files are all on dropbox, but I'm trying to avoid giving you 9 individual files to download!

-----
Thank you very much to anyone who downloads it, prints it and maybe even tries it out... Hope you enjoy it.

Any and all comments/questions/critiques welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone interested in some of the rationale and designy-thinky-stuff...

- As put in the original WIP post, my mint tin finally arrived on HP Lovecraft's birthday, and being a big fan of Lovecraftian horror it was a no-brainer to do some sort of Mythos inspired game. A no-brainer partly as no more thought went in to the idea to do it than "let's do a mythos inspired game"... so then I scrabbled for an idea.
Having a game where you are trying to bring Cthulhu back physically appealed - as did the idea of having black dice with the pips representing stars. In minutes the idea of a beetle drive/yahtzee type game came about.
Putting more mythos into the game lead immediately to the idea of the action cards and also to the idea of 'sacrificing' cards to gain bonus dice/rerolls.

- I've never played mint tin games before, but felt it could severely limit the contents (and even the size of any rule set).

- I wanted a game that could be played solo. I don't have a gaming group. It's usually just myself and Mrs JD. When it's not the pair of us, it's just me. Solo play and a 2-player game were important to me.
Sadly that may well have distracted me...

- One of the big recent delays was I wanted a complete rethink of the body part targets (which were, comparatively, very poor before) and also a rebalancing of the action cards and ratio of action cards to body part cards.

- The cards used to be about 63.5% body parts and the rest action cards, with what now feels an odd mix of action cards. As such early playthroughs saw it possible to go far too long waiting for the last body part or two and getting cards that you couldn't play. Of course when you did get the card, many action cards would be able to undo it again...
I altered this to the current mix of 76.2% body parts and the action cards leaning towards ones that either allow you to search the deck/discard pile for body parts or to add dice/re-rolls.
The rebalance meant that it is now easier to get any needed body parts and then to meet the harder target rolls.

- The rebalance also saw all the body part goals revisited. Previously they were all rolls possible with 5 dice, so bonus dice just made them easier to get.
The ability to sacrifice cards for extra dice and rerolls actually meant that these targets were too easy as a whole. In the rebalance I decided to add targets that need bonus dice to obtain - e.g. things that specified a 5+ needed on the purple bonus die or that specified that you needed 6 of a kind...
With the changes to the action cards, and some tweaks to the round sequence and possible turn actions, this feels a lot better. It also helps get players into the mindset that sacrificing cards is fine - something that it's important to realise if you want to succeed

Well - that's a few thoughts for anyone that's interested. It's now pretty darn late in the UK, so I think I may have to go and dream of vast cyclopean cities... Fhtagn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls