Subject: Modern Boardgames that are already considered Classics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Teixeira
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In your opinion what games are already considered (great) classics in this modern era? I would say that from the 1990s, but can refer others behind. For me, maybe consider Cosmic Encounter, Catan, El Grande, For Sale, Citadels, Carcassonne, Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride, Power Grid, Wits & Wagers, Agricola, Dominion, Pandemic, etc.

Agree? Which more? Will games like Mystery of the Abbey, Small World, Stone Age, 7 Wonders, Dixit, King of Tokyo, The Resistance, Letters from Whitechapel, Love Letter, No Thanks!, Hive, Robinson Crusoe or Legendary are becoming classics? Endure in time? I would like to hear many examples...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
While nobody has properly 'covered' where the 'eons-ages-olds'-inquiry upon the BEST "7-Players" Tiqz-Takz-Towz was produced, as of yet... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
GROGnads wrote:
While nobody has properly 'covered' where the 'eons-ages-olds'-inquiry upon the BEST "7-Players" Tiqz-Takz-Towz was produced, as of yet... devil

Hear hear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say a bare minimum for a game would having to be 5 years old although 10 years should be closer to the ideal minimum. Agricola is only 8 years old, but I can't see that not being considered a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This'll also be heavily influenced by one's age, environment, and when one got into modern bg-ing.

For me, lets go with....
Settlers
TtR
Carcassonne
Dominion

I don't really like the following, but I'm sure they'll be around forever as well....
Cards Against Humanity
Apples To Apples
Munchkin
Fluxx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
In b4 the discussion on what constitutes a classic.

But seriously, the answer will depend on the answer to that question. In terms of being able to transcend the hobby for more mainstream awareness, I'd say only Catan and Ticket to Ride qualify. Maybe 1-2 others like Carcassonne, but I wouldn't put it there personally.

Within the hobby is a different story. Twilight Struggle, Puerto Rico, 7 Wonders, Agricola, Dominion, and probably a few others are well on their way as standard bearers of either the hobby or their particular genre of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Acquire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
What about Acquire?

I think being published in 1962 sorta takes it out of the classification of modern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Snyder
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
GROGnads wrote:

Hear hear!

Harrumph! Harrumph! Harrumph! ...Hey, I didn't hear a Harrumph out of that guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1995 or later is a good starting point for being modern although Magic started in 1993. El Grande and T&E should be easy picks for modern classics. If Knizia isn't on your list, you need a new freaking list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Counter magazine has a long-standing Hall of Fame which contains a list of "modern" titles that I think most people would agree deserve their place (whatever they personally think of them.)
But I don't think it includes any games published after about the year 2005, so no Agricola or Dominion yet.

(The list is at: https://countermagazineonline.wordpress.com/)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it is or not but Concordia definately feels like a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
In b4 the discussion on what constitutes a classic.
But seriously, the answer will depend on the answer to that question. In terms of being able to transcend the hobby for more mainstream awareness, I'd say only Catan and Ticket to Ride qualify. Maybe 1-2 others like Carcassonne, but I wouldn't put it there personally.

Magic: The Gathering definitely qualifies. Regardless of people's personal opinion on it, it broke into a new mainstream market in a way few games do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bet he's lots of fun at parties.
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, a classic is more than simply being a popular game. I would say a classic has to meet these three criteria:

* Make an impact on the hobby/industry
* Be extremely popular - think Monopoly

That said, here's my (rather short, probably wrong) list:

1990's
* The Settlers of Catan - the board game that effective began this golden age of gaming

* Magic: The Gathering - practically invented the concept of a collectable card game, booster packs, and massive tournaments

2000's
* Arkham Horror - technically, this came out in the late 1980's, but it was the FFG 2nd Edition that popularized Cthulhu mythos games and put FFG on the map for a lot of gamers.

* Pandemic - Not the first co-op, but that one that put them on the map... now it's one of the most popular gateway games on the market.

* Carcassonne - The quintessential gateway game. I would say it was also the game that really popularized meeples... which may be an even great legacy.

2010's
* Cards Against Humanity - whether you like it or not, this was the game that catapulted adult-themed, crude humor party games into the mainstream. It was also one of the first games to use Kickstarter to success.

I would have loved to put Puerto Rico, Tigris & Euphrates, and many other games on this list, but like I said, there is a difference between being a great game and being a classic.

Look at Monopoly... it may not be popular around these parts, or even a good game, but it's certainly a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter has been around for decades so that is a classic in the traditional sense.

I echo all of cindebike's suggestions in terms of modern classics. I could add a great many more that had an impact ih the sense of introducing certain mechanics that had a seminal impact.

The one title I don't see in the conversation that I would add is Race for the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Its hard to think something with a lot of pop culture references can be timeless. CAH is like the Shrek 1 of board games. During its time, it was popular and perhaps groundbreaking, but does anyone think the Matrix paradoy in Shrek deserves repeated watching? Not like Lion King, say what you will about that movie, but watching it with your kids won't have you explaining why everything is supposed to be funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cinderbike wrote:
To me, a classic is more than simply being a popular game. I would say a classic has to meet these three criteria:

* Make an impact on the hobby/industry

Puerto Rico

I think it is rather difficult to not see PR's influence on gaming considering the number of games that borrowed it's main mechanic. El Grande is also considered the granddaddy of area control/influence. That alone should speak of it being a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
CAH is like the Shrek 1 of board games. During its time, it was popular and perhaps groundbreaking

It's Apples to Apples with vulgarity. That is not groundbreaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny khek
Singapore
flag msg tools
bltzlfsk wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
What about Acquire?

I think being published in 1962 sorta takes it out of the classification of modern.

Wiki defines modern approximately from the 16th century onwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A classics list without Acquire is incomplete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LarryKruger wrote:
A classics list without Acquire is incomplete.

I didn't say a thing about it not being a classic, I just questioned a 53 year old game being put in a group called modern. Please reread the original topic.

The current version of Monopoly was 17 years old when I was born. I didn't think of it as modern when I began to learn how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I don't really like the following, but I'm sure they'll be around forever as well....
Cards Against Humanity

I think Cards Against Humanity will not age well. Most of the cards are based on current pop-culture. In 10 years, how funny will those reference still be? In 20 years, what will it look like? The game will have to adapt with a new card base each decade to remain relevant.

Additionally, as much as I like the game, it doesn't have much in the way of legs. It's big now, but I don't see it ever having classic status. It'll be that game that's hidden in many parent's closets, but never gets played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselm Keiser

Dickinson
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kennykhek wrote:
bltzlfsk wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
What about Acquire?

Wiki defines modern approximately from the 16th century onwards.

Well darn! I guess that takes Go out of the running.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game I like is definitely a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Twilight Struggle will be a classic, I can see that being a game still played with regularity in 5+ years.

I would say the list is far smaller than the OPs initial list. Most games on it are solid, popular games, but not many were ground breaking.

The notion of CAH being a classic is beyond ludicrous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.