Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just played our first game against Ithaqua. We played with 8 investigators and with all expansions included.

We solved two mysteries before the hypothermia debuffs just grounds us to a halt and caused gates to stay open, which, in turn, caused doom to sprint forward and waken Ithaqua who romped to heart of Africa in two turns.

The Hypothermia debuff seems insanely difficult to deal with. Given the deck mythos deck construction, you are essentially forced to take one action per turn for 50% of the turns in the game since you must focus every turn if you don't have a focus already.

Anyone have tips on a party makeup or strategy that works for this scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One obvious choice would be Ursula, since she can spend one focus each round. Also, Ithaqua's phase 2 is relativly tame in regards to reckonings, so use that to deal with important stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Don't really like him, throwing baseline game assumptions (like not only having 75% of actions, being able to heal) out of the window that hard is an annoying type of difficulty. Has the most interesting endgame though, so I keep putting up with him occasionally.

I'm pretty convinced that the key to handling him well is to be ready to tank the hypothermia in the face and not let it eat your actions, but it hasn't worked out that well for me so far (or I've chickened out and got too much Focus anyway even if I planned otherwise).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Count cards for the Mythos deck- figure out the likelihood of Reckoning

2. Don't sweat your first Hypothermia since you need two to trigger.

3. Don't forget resting can get rid of HT!

4. Go for broke during Phase 2, almost no gates/reckonings so rush those mysteries!

5. Keep a Focus token in reserve if you have >=50% of a Reckoning AND already have HT, otherwise keep rushing those mysteries.

Ithaqua is actually one of the easier GOO, because smart play makes his reckoning completely ineffective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

My concern is with the hypothermia. Several folks say don't worry about your first one, but when you have it, you can't recover health from a rest action. And when you have reckoning, you suffer a negative effect, discard that hypothermia but gain a new one, so you never lose it unless you rest and then you only have a 50% chance to lose it.

or am I missing something about another way to recover health while you have hypothermia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Roy
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also one investigator (I can't remember who) that exchanges sanity and health, which is a nice work around for not recovering health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most common encounter penalty is sanity loss and health isn't even in second place (I think madness is) I would say HT's penalty could be worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group refuses to play with Ithaqua because he's simply not fun. But, strategy-wise, if your investigator doesn't have major stat improvements, if you pick up hypothermia and have relatively little health left, forget resting. It's just not worth it, expect to replace the character instead.

Yeah, there's a reason we find him Not Fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik G
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wacked Ithaqua in a solo 3-investigator game yesterday with doom ending at 5.

My strategy was to keep focus tokens on the investigator, one being Ursula, so that made it easier.

I also used the prelude card for the Antarctica side board, and had Lola doing her little stunts on the side board. She drew clues and buffed up all the time. So with the 'advance the current mysteries' it all became quite easy.

The last investigator was Finn and I don't know how he does it, but in the end he had so many cards with items, allies, spells etc it was just laughable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.