8 Posts

Imperial Settlers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questioning the Official Temple of Ra Storage Ruling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathew G Somers
United States
flag msg tools
Okay, so I'm pretty spanking new to this game, and recently, I came across the infamous Temple of Ra while playing, which raised numerous questions, the answers to which, I mostly found somewhere in the forums -- Thank you ALL!

That being said, however, I also happened across the one about the Temple of Ra controlling a Roman Warehouse, for which an official answer was given: "The Temple of Ra is meant solely for the action phase, and not the whole round...The end." That's me paraphrasing, by the way.

.?...??...Confusion...??...?.

Initially, I didn't see any issue regarding storage and the Temple of Ra, as I thought all stored goods were kept as is until the production phase of the following round, at which time, they became available for use that coming action phase. So, while Ra could not permit me to store goods by controlling such a building as the Roman Warehouse, since I would lose control before the goods came off, it could at least keep my opponent from storing their goods at the location, and that is definitely something I might find worth doing, especially when we take into account certain similar cards from Why Can't We Be Friends.

So, basically, what I'm wondering is: "Why the ruling?" I mean, thus far, I think every curiosity I've had regarding the Temple of Ra has been very straightforward, save for this one. My interpretation (perhaps invention?) of the rules on stored goods, and the wording of the card itself, do not clash on the matter, as far as I can tell, so what am I missing? And more importantly, if I go on to play the game in this manner, is it going to cause some unforeseen issue, such as making the Egyptians too powerful?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main reason for the ruling is that otherwise you (as Egyptian player) are able to store goods on the warehouse. If the temple of Ra would continue during the clean up phase, you do not need to remove any unused resource and can thereby keep all goods (wood, stone, food and gold). To prevent this the temple of Ra must only affect the action phase and thereby allowing the Roman player to use the warehouse in its clean-up phase.

This unforeseen behaviour of combinations of cards can be present in different combinations and therefore the ruling is in place. To overcome overpowered combinations. It is the same that you do not recycle your faction deck, as there is an infinite loop for the Japanese if they are able to recycle their faction deck.

So in essence you could take over control, but that has no effect. If you want to play differently to prevent the Roman player from storing goods, you need to extend the scope of the temple of Ra and thereby, probably, making the Egyptian player to powerful. You could agree to also clean-up in the clean-up phase, which reduces the power.

I hope this answers your question and removes your confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew G Somers
United States
flag msg tools
Yes, thank you.

Out of curiosity though, where is everyone getting this idea that the stored goods go back to the player during the cleanup phase? I don't recall anything on the matter, except for the rule book to the expansion Why Can't We Be Friends, and abiding by that law, I always store my goods on the particular card that permits storage, leaving them there until the following production phase. If memory serves me right though, and probably it doesn't, nearly all of the storage cards instruct the player to store the goods on the card until the next production phase, don't they? I don't know...

Either way, if it makes the Egyptians too powerful, the ruling is just and I will stick to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your memory serves you well. What many people do is a taking a shortcut by taking those goods in the clean-up phase instead of waiting slightly longer for the production phase. It does not really matter as the net effect is the same, but conceptually it is different.

The Warehouse is slightly different than many of the other cards form WcWBF. The warehouse is a feature building that let you keep the goods during the clean-up phase. Many of the cards from WcWBF are production cards with a feature and therefore it is important to put the goods on the card to see what you get during production. Only a small difference with a rather big impact though.

So the warehouse does not give you the gods during clean-up, but let you keep them and thereby excluding them from the goods that need to be removed during the clean-up phase (just like stone for the Romans, gold for the Egyptians, workers for the Barbarians and food for the Japanese).

P.S. I do not know if the Egyptians become to powerful, but it makes sense if they are allowed to store all except workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ManWithBirdLikeWing wrote:
Out of curiosity though, where is everyone getting this idea that the stored goods go back to the player during the cleanup phase? I don't recall anything on the matter, except for the rule book to the expansion Why Can't We Be Friends, and abiding by that law, I always store my goods on the particular card that permits storage, leaving them there until the following production phase. ...

This rules apply to locations that are Production AND Feature, and that only exist in the expansion. So, it's not apply to Warehouse.

The doubt about Warehouse and Temple of Rah exist before the Why Can't We Be Friends, and the Warehouse allow you store the in your board, so the people moved them to the board in the clean up.

So, there are too many interactions and complications between this two cards, that the solution limit their interactions is the better choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew G Somers
United States
flag msg tools
Well, that's the thing...To my thinking, the Egyptians would not have wanted to store anything on such cards, because the goods would not have come off until the following round, when they would no longer be in control of the building. However, they could have still taken it over, and thus, kept the original owner from storing any of their own goods that round. So, by changing the card's text from lasting a whole round to only the action phase, this is no longer possible.

Of course, I didn't get around to looking at the specific wording on the Warehouse until just a minute ago, but now I see the issue/difference, because it does explicitly state that the goods can be stored on your faction board, not on the card -- Forgive me my laziness, haha...

Perhaps they can release updated versions of the Temple of Ra and whatever other cards are being fixed (Oasis comes to mind), but I do wonder if the decision to restrict the Temple to only the action phase took into account all of the other cards that state the goods remain on them until the following production phase, and if so, then what specifically did they have in mind when they originally wrote that the card's effect would last until the end of the round?

Ah, it's a small matter, really, but thank you for responding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Allen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To my understanding, the Temple of Ra mentioned that "For the rest of the round the marked location is treated as your own.

In the rulebook a round consist of 4 phases and that a round will only be concluded after the 4th phase which is the Cleanup Phase.

So and therefore if Temple of Ra action is used on Warehouse, the Egyptian can really make use to store the Resources on their faction storage as mentioned in the Warehouse Feature.

However, for cards that has the Feature to allow you to store any number of the indicated goods on the card, you will have to lose the goods as you control will goes back to the original owner right after cleanup phase as the goods are stored on the card and not in your faction storage.

Cards with such feature are as follow:

1. Meat Depot
2. Wood Depot
3. Stone Depot
4. Hall of Trophies (Barbabrians)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a official errata by Ignacy in this post. Temple of Rah only work in Action Phase, so you loose the control of the location before Cleanup Phase.

trzewik wrote:
You cant store stuff on Romans Warehouse using Temple of Ra.
Temple of Ra was intended to work in Action phase. I am sorry for not precise wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.