Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard of the Rings and the White Book podcast are proud to present our latest project that we debuted at GenCon 2015

Introducing

A Semi-Competitive Variant

Lord of the Rings: The Card Game was designed as a cooperative game. However, the iconic competition between Legolas and Gimli at Helm’s Deep inspired a variant that encourages players to maximize their own performance, while still working to achieve the overall goal.

Objective
Keeping Count is designed to be played with 2 or more players, with any available quest, in both organized and casual play. By completing normal in-game tasks, players will gain prowess; points which marks a player’s accomplishments within the game. At the end of the game (whether or not the players complete the quest) players will be scored based on their individual prowess totals.

How to Play
To start out, select any quest that you and your group wishes to play. This variant does not change any rules of the normal game. You are still working together to complete the quest. However, you will now also be competing to earn the most prowess. Give each player an "Adventure" card, which is the blank card that will be used to keep track of your current prowess total. Anytime you gain prowess, put resource tokens (or whatever tokens you prefer) on your Adventure card.

Drawing inspiration from the Game of Thrones card game, players will be drafting Role cards at the beginning of each round. The First Player will gather up all 6 Role cards, randomly discard one from play, then choose one to keep. Then pass the remaining 4 cards to the next player, who will then choose one to keep and pass the rest. This continues until all players have 1 Role card, and the rest are discarded from play. The Role card you've selected gives you a condition in which to earn prowess, and an Action ability that you can trigger during the round.

At the end of the round, discard all Role cards in play, then the new First Player will gather up all 6 Role cards for the next round. This continues until either your group completes or fails the quest. The player who has accumulated the most prowess is declared the MVP and the winner of Keeping Count!

Download Keeping Count here

Order a set directly from PrinterStudio

Keeping Count is an unofficial, fan-made variant developed by Will Lentz, Sean Switajewski, and Tom Howard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
badge
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks ace, neat work Tom! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
it would be nice if FFG would make it official since you did so much for this game Tom. Thumbs up man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean S
United States
Hugo
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baramon wrote:
it would be nice if FFG would make it official since you did so much for this game Tom. Thumbs up man.

We wouldn't be opposed! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I would be more than willing to license out my part in the creation if FFG wanted to publish it!

Aside from that, let us know what you think, folks.

Also, we may have a few ideas kicking around for an expansion already....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mndela rodriguez
Spain
flag msg tools
Awesome idea! Sure i will play it. Congrats, it seems a very good way to add a competitive faction to this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edvando Filho
Brazil
flag msg tools
In the step 2 of the rules it says "each player select and removes an available role".

If we follow that rule, the fourth player wont get a role and the third player will be forced to pick whatever the first and second player left to him.

Is this working as intended?

Im looking at the image of the cards above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sorry, slight misappearance there. The players aren't supposed to select one role and then remove a second. They select and remove the same role. That was the best wording we had come up with to note that they took their chosen role to keep for the round and thus it would not be there for other players to select.

In the end, even the fourth player should have the choice between two different roles and then the final one will not be used that round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam MacDonald
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks terrific. Well done guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited the OP to add a link to a PrinterStudio order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vardaen Caruag
United States
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did it play at Gen Con? Sounds and looks like a fun little option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Frazer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I liked it, but I'm horrible at "co-op with a final winner" games. I kept giving the other people at the table extra prowess tokens while we were trying to default the scenario.

I think this variant should somehow modify the actual "keeping count" card into doing something useful :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That may be one of the ideas I have percolating for a sequel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Caffrey
Ireland
Meath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I clicked preview in PrinterStudio, it didn't look right. I haven't used PrinterStudio before so I don't know if there's something I'm doing wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/8Mburfi.png

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks correct, Legandir!

6 Role cards with their proper cardback, 4 Adventure cards that look the same on both sides, and a double-sided rulesheet card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls