1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: funding your hobby rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobby Bob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
To get all the games I want I may have to consider robbing a bank.

This got me thinking, how do people manage to fund their boardgaming.

Has anyone out there gone to extreme lengths to earn some money to buy a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most boring answer, I work as many hours as I can...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I married an Engineer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cashback credits on my credit card. It limits me to what I can buy but it also prevents AD from getting the better of me and allows me to actually play my games. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give the answer a well-known game designer once remarked "Son, if you can't afford the occasional $50 to buy a new game, get yourself another hobby"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
I'll give the answer a well-known game designer once remarked "Son, if you can't afford the occasional $50 to buy a new game, get yourself another hobby"

I can buy games only occasionally??? Why did no one tell me this?

-Edit- to add the word "only" for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Schoukroun
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Move in to a smaller place!
You'll save money on rent AND you'll have less space to store your boardgames

It's a WIN-WIN!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, first, my job uses a program where in each person has a budget of up to 50 dollars a month to reward people who they think do well. Like 5 here, 10 here, etc. But we have to trade them in for like, gift cards and stuff. It comes from company money so you know, we just give it out every month depending on if we see someone do something good. So it all gets converted to Amazon credit, which I then spend on board games 9 times out of 10.

After that, its that I don't owe money. I have no car payment, I have one credit card, but its just used to funnel a couple of bills through every month and is paid off immediately (its really for building credit). No student loans. This means I have a lot less expenses.

Then I just have a good job.

Other than that, I've never done anything crazy. Well. I probably have, but I don't remember. I forget all my crazy so that I can pretend I would never do soemthing that bad, this is a one time thing. >_>.

(The worst I have done in reality is have tight finances for a month or two, never done any worse than that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thrifting.

And annoying people on RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Bob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I actually have a nectar card credit card. I buy everything on it and save up my points, which I convert to ebay vouchers. Its bought me a few games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kidnap people and sell their kidneys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Snyder
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game trades (though shipping has gotten worse over the years), buy used games here, game auctions, etc. I haven't paid retail for a game in ages.

As far as extreme, I often only eat 2 meals a day. I don't have cable TV or Internet. I live in a low rent area. I save money in a lot of areas to spend it in other areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you can't afford everything you want to play then the next best thing is to divide games amongst your friends. If each person in your gaming group has different games from each other and work in tandem you'll end up playing everything you want.

If you really want to own them rather than just play then search through charity shops, carboot sales, ebay and bring & buy at conventions.

Failing that sell a kidney ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Bob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I wonder if anyone has given up a weekend to hold a "golf sale this way" sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sari Teeuwen
Netherlands
Garsthuizen
flag msg tools
I'm watching you
badge
My cat "sausage"
mbmbmbmbmb
jr4417 wrote:
I married an Engineer.

I became an Engineer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
I kidnap people and sell their kidneys

Other organs pay off much better. True, people don't survive that treatment, but you can get so much more out of one unlucky individual

Hmm, is there already a boardgame about organ trade?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Martinovich
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hulk can see ghosts, breathe underwater, and survive a nuclear bomb.
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCSE5I0Wp7c
mbmbmbmbmb
So.... I'll give you an answer that probably wont be popular that I am considering.

I kickstarted Blood Rage. The game looks amazing to me but has many mechanics in it my wife (and primary gaming buddy) will hate such as card based combat and other things. I am considering selling it unopened with the Kickstarter exclusives at an upcost (Not the gouging costs most ebayers charge but still).... Then bank rolling "The others" and "Arcadia Inferno" and maybe get a few copies of each and keeping one while selling the upopened extras with all the KS exclusives people who missed out will absolutely want....

It feels slimey but I got really mad at the fact that I missed out on the original arcadia quest but I wont be paying 500$ (Ebay prices) for the game with all the exclusives... But I feel like if you can't beat em then might as well join em...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I only buy games that will actually be played and are potentially better than we already get to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unbiased Meeple
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just keep opening new credit cards to pay off my old ones! Simple as that and I'm surprised no one else has thought of this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To buy the initial batch we sold stuff from around the house, including almost all the old board games we played growing up.

I have also picked up certain games from garage sales, that I knew would sell, and then re-sold them for profit online.

I have also sold some of the games we didn't really fall in love with or just ended up with games that replaced them due to the gameplay mechanics.

Also, like some of the others have said I also get a bonus from work each month based on our profitability and I usually put some of that towards the next game purchase.

Lastly, we don't go to the bar, we don't have cable, we don't smoke, and we don't spend a lot on random stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pieaddict wrote:
To get all the games I want I may have to consider robbing a bank.

This got me thinking, how do people manage to fund their boardgaming.

Has anyone out there gone to extreme lengths to earn some money to buy a game?

Extreme lengths? Damn straight... I cut back on going to the pub 4 days a week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gardner
United States
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm blessed with a very secure job with good pay. However, this doesn't keep my wife from griping about buying games when we have a closet full. So for the past year, I've started trading more often and selling thrifted games on Ebay/Craigslist. It's worked out well so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live fairly frugally. Boardgames (and clothes and shoes) are my only vices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop feeling like you have to buy everything that comes out. If you skip on this week's hot new game, don't worry; another will be coming along soon that pretty much does the exact same thing. You can probably skip that one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Shelley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
They call him Cuban Pete..
mbmbmbmbmb
I work 9 to 5 during the week and I DJ at the weekends to top up my earnings, so I guess my answer is to have 2 jobs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.