Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To anyone who's played this game a lot:

I am wondering, how much replayability is there with this game?

I ask, because if I get this game, I will by and large use it as a 1-player game, and I wonder if it will still provide as much fun factor as it does after 10 plays as it does after 2? I ask because I liked Jack Darvid's Island D 2, a lot, and that uses the similar game mechanics, but I found that game really got played-out after 3-4 plays.

Thanks for your comments / thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I've played this game maybe 7 times. I think it's pretty replayable

The part of the game that can kind of feel the same is the goal and how you reach it. To enter the Dark Tower (not sure if that's the right name) you have to level up a skill to 5. There are 3 skills, so this can be a different skill every game, but essentially every game boils down to finding ways to increase a skill multiple times until you can fight the big baddy.

This could be a problem, except that the board is modular, and is laid out differently each time, which can make tactics that were viable in game 1 to be worthless in game 2.

Secondly, the random draw of cards that you can use can drastically change what you can accomplish on a given turn. One location allows you to turn in 3 cards of the same color to increase that skill. If you never have 3 cards of that color, you can't use that space, etc.

This game is great and quick when played solo. The timer is really hard to beat, at least I struggle with it. The last time I played, I played 3 times in a row, and lost everytime, but I came close in my third game. The game started to feel a bit samey part way through that second game, but that didn't really surprise me as I played 3 GAMES IN A ROW

This game is a keeper, especially if it hits the table once or twice a month. Often enough to remember the rules so that it's quick, but not too often that it feels samey, like if you play it 3 times in a row

I usually keep it in my backpack, just in case I have 30 minutes to kill and room to play

I definitely recommend it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.