John Anderson
msg tools
3 Hero players + me as the Mastermind

MM: Madeline Pryor
Scheme: Legacy Virus
Villains: Limbo, Deadlands, Forget the last one
Henchmen: Sentinels

Heroes: Domino, Forge, Iron Fist, Wolverine (XF), Daredevil

I let my friends pick the heroes, we randomized the MM and Villains. Since it was our first time, I wanted to pick a scheme that wouldn't be too hard, so I picked this one since I figured they would have tons of tech cards.

I got Domino's 1-cost and 3-cost immediately, and by turn 3 or 4 I was able to pick up her rare. They didn't stand a chance after that. The ambition deck gave me so many ways to wound them, especially one that let me play it as a masterstrike early, meaning each other one that came up from the deck wounded them all. I destroyed them so hard I started going easy on them and still crushed them.

Anyone else finding that playing as the mastermind is overpowered? To be fair, the MM and Villains were tough, and the scheme hurt them a lot more than I expected it to. But they just never stood a chance. Any suggestions to make it a little more balanced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't tried playing as the Mastermind yet. If we do I think I will remove one or two masterstrikes to even things out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
If I recall Boardgamebrawl made that same assessment on YT to other day/week. I hope that v2 balances it out somehow but I wonder whether it's easier with less players or even using the villain base set and playing as the commander. Either way I am looking forward to trying it out .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use Red Skull & the sentinel territories?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
msg tools
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

That's the plan for next time. We think the villain/mastermind/scheme combo might have been the problem.

It feels like playing as the mastermind will help add challenge to some of the easier masterminds, but will make the more difficult ones almost impossible to defeat (which makes sense, because you want them to be hard to beat without someone making it even harder).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ovi Matteo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

If you put it this way, is there any chance the players would win if you played Thanos/Galactus/Apocalypse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.