Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite what anyone says, the original game did not have unique player powers (except for the Flapper and Humanoid which were deliberate handicap modes), so I'm curious to know if this game "added them back", so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ferrier
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
Despite what anyone says, the original game did not have unique player powers (except for the Flapper and Humanoid which were deliberate handicap modes), so I'm curious to know if this game "added them back", so to speak.

After playing a ridiculous amount of MULE in college on the C64 we came to view the Humanoid as not a handicap because of the way events hit. Bad events happen to the leaders and good events effect the last place person so it tended to be the guy who took the Humanoid among equally skilled players won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Harju
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You are correct: in the original game the species did not have any special powers, even though that was alluded.

M.U.L.E. The Board Game introduces thematic powers for each species as an optional rule. Flapper is still the Beginner Species (easier than others) and Humanoid is still the Expert Species (for those who like challenges).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have sworn the Packer (?) was better at food when I used him in a game. I guess it was just the power of suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
I could have sworn the Packer (?) was better at food when I used him in a game. I guess it was just the power of suggestion.

If I recall correctly, that MAY of been how the AI played it, not that it got any advantages. I think you included different races, to change up how the AI played. At least I saw them akin to the token pieces players use in Monopoly, to represent what what a player preferred to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the C64 version, the AI exclusively played as Mechtrons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I played this on the NES, might have been C64, but I don't remember anyone having special powers, games back then were a bit more straight forward. I did spend many many many many hours on this game. Then came sim city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAH! My kingdom for a PDF of the rulebook!
And by kingdom, I mean the imaginary one in which I rule supreme and unchallenged for all eternity. Also, there is cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a PDF, but you can try here:

http://muttoo.on.ca/mulemanual/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.