Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Thematic game rank #1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samanar
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


To dethrone War of the Ring - that's big ninja
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And undeserved.
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josko Tosic
Croatia
Sibenik
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SW:IA is certainly a good game but thematically it can't be compared to War of the Ring. Or some other games, for that matter.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johtara wrote:
SW:IA is certainly a good game but thematically it can't be compared to War of the Ring. Or some other games, for that matter.


25 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
And undeserved.


I completely agree.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it more themey than War of the Ring..Probably has something to do with the fact that John Williams is a WAY better composer than Howard Shore. As someone who has performed both, I almost fell asleep with boredom playing the movie music of LOTR. Imperial March doesn't give me goosebumps everytime I play it.

As a game, I'd rather play IA over War of the Ring anytime. I have both, but IA has way more plays.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ringlstetter
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
And undeserved.


I completely agree.

I completely disagree!
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vance
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How are the Thematic ranks calculated? Is it just a ranking of the best thematic game by BGG Average Rating or is there some other math in there?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The algorithm seems a little different for thematic than overall, because in the overall ranking the order is different.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
samanar wrote:


To dethrone War of the Ring - that's big ninja


I'd say Battle of Five Armies should dethrone War of the Ring too. ninja
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
senorcoo wrote:
And undeserved.


Absolutely correct.

I'm not necessarily bashing IA but the design of War of the Ring is just better. Imperial Assault is essentially a count the squares, roll your dice, tactical minis games. Mechanically it's pretty empty. IMHO.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteRider27 wrote:
Imperial Assault is essentially a count the squares, roll your dice, tactical minis games. Mechanically it's pretty empty. IMHO.

Have you actually played any missions?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteRider27 wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
And undeserved.

Imperial Assault is essentially a count the squares, roll your dice, tactical minis games. Mechanically it's pretty empty. IMHO.


14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
a1bert wrote:
WhiteRider27 wrote:
Imperial Assault is essentially a count the squares, roll your dice, tactical minis games. Mechanically it's pretty empty. IMHO.

Have you actually played any missions?


Nope, but I've read through the instructions and have played Descent 2nd Edition pretty extensively. As I understand (and read via the instructions) the primary changes between Descent and Imperial Assault is the mission structure (among some other things like alternating activations)

Thankfully though I have a game of IA scheduled with a friend since I'm looking at getting it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematic can mean different things, but for my money this is a way more thematic game.

LotR is ultimately a quest story, which war games do not satisfy quite right as a fan.

Star Wars is ultimately about about small groups of heroes succeeding in missions against over-whelming opposition, which SW:IA captures perfectly.

Doesn't have to be a better mechanic to be a better thematic game; IMNPHO.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan C
msg tools
MacavityandMycroft wrote:
Thematic can mean different things, but for my money this is a way more thematic game.

LotR is ultimately a quest story, which war games do not satisfy quite right as a fan.

Star Wars is ultimately about about small groups of heroes succeeding in missions against over-whelming opposition, which SW:IA captures perfectly.

Doesn't have to be a better mechanic to be a better thematic game; IMNPHO.


Well said. IA is probably the first game of this type where my game group was actually able to get through the entire campaign. This is because the game is so much fun and captures the small band or rebels theme so well.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteRider27 wrote:
a1bert wrote:
WhiteRider27 wrote:
Imperial Assault is essentially a count the squares, roll your dice, tactical minis games. Mechanically it's pretty empty. IMHO.

Have you actually played any missions?


Nope, but I've read through the instructions and have played Descent 2nd Edition pretty extensively. As I understand (and read via the instructions) the primary changes between Descent and Imperial Assault is the mission structure (among some other things like alternating activations)

Thankfully though I have a game of IA scheduled with a friend since I'm looking at getting it.

Give it a playthrough. The mission structure is the least of the changes. When you consider this game has an entirely 2nd game inside the box (i.e. skirmish), you'll understand why this game has dethroned War of the Ring.

-shnar
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I like IA, it doesn't stand a change to WotR when it comes to the implementation of theme. Not even close. Every time I play WotR, it feels like I'm acting out an alternate what-if version of the books and it never breaks the spell.

IA is ok, but when you see those Heroes running past a Stormtrooper wall, shouting YOLO, while Nexus try to play goalie at the doorways and Darth Vader gets tossed around by Diala... well, it just doesn't hold the candle.

sauron
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Doesn't have to be a better mechanic to be a better thematic game



This
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SW fan boys
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
SW fan boys

LotR fan boys.

How shocking that something like that works both ways.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both great, very thematic games; doesn't matter to me which one is first, second or eleventyfirst. whistle
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteRider27 wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
And undeserved.


Absolutely correct.

I'm not necessarily bashing IA but the design of War of the Ring is just better. Imperial Assault is essentially a count the squares, roll your dice, tactical minis games. Mechanically it's pretty empty. IMHO.


Played WotR and Bo5A and both of those are simply Risk clones with a bunch of fluff that is totally unnecessary. I wasn't going to say anything but seeing this made me bite. IA is way more fulfilling mechanically!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
IA is ok, but when you see those Heroes running past a Stormtrooper wall, shouting YOLO, while Nexus try to play goalie at the doorways and Darth Vader gets tossed around by Diala... well, it just doesn't hold the candle.


Aren't we getting this movie in December whistle ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.