Popular Tags: [View All]
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been asked. I scanned the first 7 pages here and didn't see it answered.

The medicine card says that it heals one any type of wound "removes any type of wound token". Does that mean it heals ALL wounds or ALL frostbite, or it just heals a single token of either?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GilgaTex wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked. I scanned the first 7 pages here and didn't see it answered.

The medicine card says that it heals one type of wound. Does that mean it heals ALL wounds or ALL frostbite, or it just heals a single token of either?

Just a single token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

GilgaTex wrote:
The medicine card says that it heals one type of wound.

Well, the card doesn't say that it heals [only] one type of wound... it actually says, "Remove any type of wound token" from the survivor. Thusly the "any" wording on the card implies that it removes all types of wound tokens. And remember that per page 11 of the Rulebook, Frostbite is considered a wound.

Edit: added "types of" after, "all" in my second to last sentence. Of course the card doesn't allow you to remove all the wound tokens from a survivor (due to the singular use of "token"), so I didn't think to make a point of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hamel
United States
Pacific
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what it means by 'any', you can remove either a regular wound or a frostbite wound... NOT all wounds.

'Any' never means 'all'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

GilgaTex wrote:
The medicine card says that it heals one type of wound.

Well, the card doesn't say that it heals [only] one type of wound... it actually says, "Remove any type of wound token" from the survivor. Thusly the "any" wording on the card implies that it removes all wound tokens. And remember that per page 11 of the Rulebook, Frostbite is considered a wound.

It wasn't my game so I didn't have the card in front of me when I posted, so thanks. And I agree with you and had the same argument, but everyone else at the table said it was only one wound.

It's not "remove any wound token" it's "remove any type of wound token." You're removing a type, not a token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hamel
United States
Pacific
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you are removing a single token of ANY type.
I am sorry, but I don't see the confusion here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was already answered here as removing a single token. The designer posted a comment in that thread and didn't challenge the assertion, so it's definitely just a single token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
This was already answered here as removing a single token. The designer posted a comment in that thread and didn't challenge the assertion, so it's definitely just a single token.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
auge wrote:

I know it's resolved, but you asked: the confusion comes because it doesn't say 'single'. It doesn't say 'all' either. It's ambiguous whether 'remove' refers to the 'token' or the 'type.' If it refers to the token, it's single. If it refers to the type, it's all.

Thank you for linking me to the previous post Glad it's sorted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
auge wrote:

Actually, by rewording it just now you illustrate how the original wording is ambiguous.

I agree of course that the intent is "remove a wound [counter] of any type", but the poster's group is correct that "remove any type of wound" can be interpretted more than one way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hamel
United States
Pacific
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Remove any type of wound token"

I just looked up the word 'any' and it was not helpful in the least... lol:

Any: Used to refer to one or some of a thing or number of things, no matter how much or many.

So, luckily my group accidentally chose the correct way.
It doesn't even help that the wording says 'token'.

So, now I see the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Count me as one who doesn't see the ambiguity here. Perhaps the way I originally worded my post above (since edited) indicates that I was confused, but the wording on the card seems clear:

"Remove any type of wound token":

any type = Either a normal wound type or a frostbite wound type... IOW, any type.

token = singular (vs "tokens")... IOW, only one token. It doesn't use the plural.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frostbite is a type of wound token. So I choose "frostbite" as the type of wound token. So I replace "any type of wound token" with "frostbite". So now I can "Remove frostbite". After I "Remove frostbite" from one of my survivors, it would make sense that there would be no frostbite left -- frostbite has been removed from that survivor.

So even if there were two frostbite tokens on that survivor, after "removing frostbite" from him, he should have none left.

At least, that's where the confusion comes from. I'm not saying this is true, just that the wording could have been better.

"Remove 1 wound token of any type," would have been much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GilgaTex wrote:
auge wrote:

I know it's resolved, but you asked: the confusion comes because it doesn't say 'single'. It doesn't say 'all' either. It's ambiguous whether 'remove' refers to the 'token' or the 'type.' If it refers to the token, it's single. If it refers to the type, it's all.

Thank you for linking me to the previous post Glad it's sorted.

If the card simply said remove any single wound token then people would be here saying it is "ambiguous" about whether or not you can use medicine to cure frostbite. Saying "remove any type of type of token" uses the singular - token - and therefore only one is removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.