Hide
19 Posts

DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Watchmen heroes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Wall
msg tools
Wanted to know what you thought about these watchmen heroes I created and compare when the crossover pack comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting ideas, though your wording is somewhat wonky. I think you could clean up the wording a lot on all of those cards. Silk Spectre seems weak unless the Kick is meant to go to your Hand when you Gain it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Wall
msg tools
Yeah reading them over again the wording was a bit off. We tried SS with the kick card going into your hand but it proved that it was overpowered early in the game that way. So we reworded it to just gaining the kick. Because you could discard 2 vulnerabilities and a weakness to gain a kick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Manhattan seems overly random and probably weak.

Nite Owl seems strong, if awkwardly worded.

I'm not sure I actually get what Ozymandius does.

Rorschach seems good for turning over your first couple of hands to curb your new cards in fast, and definitely worthwhile if you draw all your Vulnerabilities in your first hand. Not so sure about later. Maybe in a game with solid scrapping, so people are likely to have ditched their Starters.

Doesn't seem like Silk Spectre needs the cost limitation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Brady
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
You're missing someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Wall
msg tools
True, you really don't need the cost limitation with Silk Spectre.

Ozymandias: basically, every hand you have you can set aside cards (unplayed) that remain in front of you while others play and if they play attacks that require you to discard or destroy cards you can use them instead. At the start of your next turn you discard those cards and can put any new cards there from your hand.

Nite owl could possibly be a bit OP if there are lots of equipment in the lineup.

Dr. Manhattan: this is the 3rd iteration I have made after playing 2 before. it was originally, basically, destroy all your cards (except your hand) and draw 10 cards, but you could only do that if you were destroying at least 20 cards. So basically you are getting a new, smaller deck. It ended up taking too long to get to 20 cards but when we had it at 15 cards it was way too fast and the player ran away with the game. So I changed it to paying power to get a new deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twall wrote:
Ozymandias: basically, every hand you have you can set aside cards (unplayed) that remain in front of you while others play and if they play attacks that require you to discard or destroy cards you can use them instead. At the start of your next turn you discard those cards and can put any new cards there from your hand.

Right, okay. That's an interesting power. I'm curious how it would work out in play.

Quote:
Dr. Manhattan: this is the 3rd iteration I have made after playing 2 before. it was originally, basically, destroy all your cards (except your hand) and draw 10 cards, but you could only do that if you were destroying at least 20 cards. So basically you are getting a new, smaller deck. It ended up taking too long to get to 20 cards but when we had it at 15 cards it was way too fast and the player ran away with the game. So I changed it to paying power to get a new deck.

It seems very chunky and risky. If I can somehow scrape together a 10 Power hand in the early game, it's more likely to be worth it, but it's still something that's only going to come up a very small number of times per game, which is lame.
And highly random seems like the utter opposite of Dr Manhattan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Wall
msg tools
I was thinking of his ability of matter re-organization. If you can do it early enough in game you "reorganize" your weaknesses, punch and vulnerability cards "hopefully". The other option is to leave the hand played in front of you as you purge all the other cards.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card destruction definitely makes sense for him, but for the sake of it being an ability that sees use more than once a game, I'd recommend making it more ... cool atomic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
For Manhattan how about:

Destroy a card and gain any 1 card from the Line-up that costs 2 more then the destroyed cards cost.
You may only use this ability once per turn.

That seems more in line with his destruction and building capabilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:
For Manhattan how about:

Destroy a card and gain any 1 card from the Line-up that costs 2 more then the destroyed cards cost.

Seems strong, but worth trying out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
tawnos76 wrote:
For Manhattan how about:

Similar in strength to Shazam.

There will not always be good cards in the line-up though for grabbing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
tawnos76 wrote:
For Manhattan how about:

That's fine, if you have to be able to gain a card to destroy a card. If you can destroy starters without having to gain something, that's still a huge power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
tawnos76 wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
tawnos76 wrote:
For Manhattan how about:

That's fine, if you have to be able to gain a card to destroy a card. If you can destroy starters without having to gain something, that's still a huge power.

Yes, you have to be able to gain something or you cannot destroy the card. So if you were to destroy a starter then their must be a 2 cost card in the line-up.

Maybe it should read:
Destroy a card to gain any 1 card from the Line-up that costs 2 more then the destroyed cards cost.
You may only use this ability once per turn

Taking out the "and" and changing it to "to" should make it mandatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
tawnos76 wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
tawnos76 wrote:
For Manhattan how about:

Yes, you have to be able to gain something or you cannot destroy the card. So if you were to destroy a starter then their must be a 2 cost card in the line-up.

Maybe it should read:
Destroy a card to gain any 1 card from the Line-up that costs 2 more then the destroyed cards cost.

Doesn't read that way to me. How about:

"Once per turn, you may reveal a card from your hand. Gain a card from the line-up costing up to 2 more than that card. If you do, destroy the revealed card."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
tawnos76 wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
tawnos76 wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
tawnos76 wrote:
For Manhattan how about:

Maybe it should read:

Doesn't read that way to me. How about:

"Once per turn, you may reveal a card from your hand. Gain a card from the line-up costing up to 2 more than that card. If you do, destroy the revealed card."

That sounds best for the card and should fix and other interpretation of it.

The lovely English Language
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Wall
msg tools
Worth a try, I think it would end up being pretty powerful in the early game with kicks. Buy a couple kicks and you can essentially trade them for cost 5 cards. Which would be fun forsure but maybe not for people playing against you.

I think putting in that the card you are gaining MUST cost 2 more than the card you are destroying:

"Once per turn, you may reveal a card cost 1 or greater from your hand. Gain a card from the line-up costing exactly 2 more than that card. If you do, destroy the revealed card."

That may balance it out a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Wall
msg tools
Or try this on for size:
"Once per turn, you may reveal any non-kick card cost 1 or more from hand. Gain a card from the line-up costing up to 2 more than that card. If you do, destroy the revealed card."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you limit it to cost 1 or higher, that already brings its utility so far down that I really don't think you need to exclude Kicks as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.