Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Table Top Game Submission Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Stegmaier
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings players and designers.

Just saw this posting on Geek and Sundry.

http://geekandsundry.com/tabletop-submission-guidelines-what...

I find it very cool that they posted the rules.

If you are designer/publisher, please carefully read and respect the rules.

Hooray for TableTop Season 4!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eaglesight333 wrote:
Greetings players and designers.

Just saw this posting on Geek and Sundry.

http://geekandsundry.com/tabletop-submission-guidelines-what...

I find it very cool that they posted the rules.

If you are designer/publisher, please carefully read and respect the rules.

Hooray for TableTop Season 4!


I find this a bit odd. Aren't they capable of choosing and selecting games themselves???

I thought WW was just a gamer who wanted to show off his favourite games to people. Now he needs helping finding new fun games?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Bonilla
United States
Winneconne
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They did this last year too. Yes, they play a handful games he already likes through the course of the season but they also play a pile of newer (or new to him) games given to them by publishers to see if any of them appeal and fit the format of the show.

I don't find anything particularly odd about it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wilkinson
England
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a good way to get decent games submitted that may not of originally made it if they didn't normally fit into the interest of the relevant decision makers. Hopefully this means we'll get some heavier euros making it onto the show for the next season.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
to me this seems a bit lazy.
I would have thought they're doing their own research into which games might be suitable.
Isn't this basically saying they're not up to date on which games are out there and also giving publishers space for promoting their products?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
to me this seems a bit lazy.
I would have thought they're doing their own research into which games might be suitable.
Isn't this basically saying they're not up to date on which games are out there and also giving publishers space for promoting their products?

I imagine most people, no matter how much they might be interested in games, are not capable of researching every single title that comes out. If Wil only chose the games he knew and had played before, Table Top would only cover a small portion of the many types of games out there, likely mostly big releases. This strikes me as a bigger-scale version of the Recommendations forums.

Not a Tabletop viewer, btw. I just don't really see why asking for submissions is a problem.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
dennisthebadger wrote:
to me this seems a bit lazy.
I would have thought they're doing their own research into which games might be suitable.
Isn't this basically saying they're not up to date on which games are out there and also giving publishers space for promoting their products?

I imagine most people, no matter how much they might be interested in games, are not capable of researching every single title that comes out. If Wil only chose the games he knew and had played before, Table Top would only cover a small portion of the many types of games out there, likely mostly big releases. This strikes me as a bigger-scale version of the Recommendations forums.

Not a Tabletop viewer, btw. I just don't really see why asking for submissions is a problem.


couldn't they then just ask their viewers or anybody who has a clue about the industry (somebody who might be slightly more objective and has no personal interest in whatever games are on the show)?


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
While I agree that user submissions could be useful, I don't see what's wrong with a publisher sending a submission to have their game featured, since they're not the ones who ultimately decide. What would be a conflict of interest would be if the publisher paid for coverage on Tabletop, and this was not disclosed. I work in the video games industry as an indie dev, and sending keys to popular Let's Players and Streamers is a standard procedure in publicizing a game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The post strongly infers that publishers already approach TableTop about getting their games on the show, but TableTop haven't had a procedure (that's transparent to publishers) for handling those requests consistently.

It appears as though they have posted these rules in order to make it clearer to publishers what games they will (and won't) feature on the show.

Seems like a fair thing to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bouchbre wrote:
The post strongly infers that publishers already approach TableTop about getting their games on the show, but TableTop haven't had a procedure (that's transparent to publishers) for handling those requests consistently.

It appears as though they have posted these rules in order to make it clearer to publishers what games they will (and won't) feature on the show.

Seems like a fair thing to me.


It is closer to this. They have a submission guideline not because they need help with finding games, but because there's too many publishers requesting to get on the show, inquiring about how, or wondering why their game as not been selected.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Stegmaier
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think it is because anyone at GnS is lazy or unable to do research. But as others have stated, it is to allow more possibilities to shown. As the article stated. When GnS was at GenCon, a lot of game publishers talked to them stating that there were issues with how things were done. And thereby GnS listened and made the submission information more available to make sure more possibilities were included. Whether the game is from a large company or a small independent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
dennisthebadger wrote:
to me this seems a bit lazy.
I would have thought they're doing their own research into which games might be suitable.
Isn't this basically saying they're not up to date on which games are out there and also giving publishers space for promoting their products?

I imagine most people, no matter how much they might be interested in games, are not capable of researching every single title that comes out. If Wil only chose the games he knew and had played before, Table Top would only cover a small portion of the many types of games out there, likely mostly big releases. This strikes me as a bigger-scale version of the Recommendations forums.

Not a Tabletop viewer, btw. I just don't really see why asking for submissions is a problem.


I'm not a viewer but I see this the same way. We ask for recomendations from other gamers all the time here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Bonilla
United States
Winneconne
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, btw, they did try viewer submissions last year and I think Wil got pissed off at people spamming game titles so they put the kibosh on that (although one of the associated twitter accounts put out a call to followers taking requests a week or so ago.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hammond
United Kingdom
Maldon
Essex
flag msg tools

It's also a good way to get overseas submissions for games which may not otherwise have come to their attention.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.T. Heller

Walnut Creek
California
msg tools
Does anyone recall other than the issue with the producer, what was the game that cause them to create rule #1 that it must be in stores and available? I vauguely recall it was a kickerstarter project that had funded but hadn't been released or created. Anyone recall?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Chua
Australia
Highett
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Jandt wrote:
Does anyone recall other than the issue with the producer, what was the game that cause them to create rule #1 that it must be in stores and available? I vauguely recall it was a kickerstarter project that had funded but hadn't been released or created. Anyone recall?


That would be Unspeakable Words.

I think they played that in Season 1. The game is only recently back in print as their Kickstarter was about 1-2 years late?

Personally I'm just underwhelmed by this season's picks so far.

Lanterns is not fun to watch.
Monarch has an interesting theme of princesses jockeying to be Queen but the game is otherwise mechanically and thematically bland.
Tiny Epic Galaxies, while mechanically more interesting, was too complex for them to cover in a 30 minute episode.
I'm hoping that there will eventually be a good episode. But not impressed by the episodes so far.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.