Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: 4 Day work week rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fast Retailing which owns a few brands including Uniqlo, is doing an experiment with a 4 Day work week:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-20/uniqlo-to-...

That's the schedule I work (4 ten hour days and then 3 days off). I like it as the three days off in a row is VERY nice. anyone else work that schedule or something else that's not a standard 8 hour, 5 days a week thing?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The past two semesters I've worked a four-day week (usually 9 to 3 or 4). You're definitely right about the three-day weekend: you can take a day to clear out your backlog of errands and still have two days off to relax--it's great!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly! I try to schedule all my appts for Friday. Or I can go eat lunch with my kids at their school.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I don't work it myself, but the production floor here is 24/7/365 so they have non-standard shifts. There are four shifts, early/late week and day/night. They work 12 hours 6-6 and from Sun-Tue or Thu-Sat with alternate Wed. I could see the appeal of the EWD shift, but any other one would suck because you're either working overnight or you would have no Friday or Saturday ever so you could never have any sort of social activity.

Myself and a coworker work very slightly non-standard shifts because of that, purely for our own convenience. He comes in around 5am and leaves around 1 and I come in around 11 and stay until around 7. This gives us a little time to deal directly with the off shift people if they need us.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I like 4 ten hour days.

Plenty of time for a second job.

I once worked 4 on/4 off ten hour shifts and found a second job that was able to accomodate me working 2 of my days off on the same schedule. And both jobs were at night, so I was able to go to school full time.

Now I just work everyday. Mostly 12 hour shifts with the occasional day off when cars break down. About once each week I work a 6 or 8 hour shift to fit in games. An 8 hour day feels like a day off.

That's a lot of working. Do you fear burnout? Maybe it's different when you own the business though.

I do sometimes work an extra day, but I get paid overtime (as straight time) for that day. Lately I've been doing that about 3/4 weeks a month, but this is the exception. I have some projects that are coming due very soon.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
I don't work it myself, but the production floor here is 24/7/365 so they have non-standard shifts. There are four shifts, early/late week and day/night. They work 12 hours 6-6 and from Sun-Tue or Thu-Sat with alternate Wed. I could see the appeal of the EWD shift, but any other one would suck because you're either working overnight or you would have no Friday or Saturday ever so you could never have any sort of social activity.

Myself and a coworker work very slightly non-standard shifts because of that, purely for our own convenience. He comes in around 5am and leaves around 1 and I come in around 11 and stay until around 7. This gives us a little time to deal directly with the off shift people if they need us.




The operations staff here has started to work a DuPont schedule. It's really weird. my department will eventually have to switch to a 24/7 schedule to support Operations, but my boss doesn't like DuPont. Our department has developed its own schedule but we haven't gotten it approved yet. I think we will have to switch sometime next year.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2 months every year (right now - Mid August-Late October) my job is 6 10 hour days a week.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
...anyone else work that schedule or something else that's not a standard 8 hour, 5 days a week thing?


Yeah, I pretty much work everyday. Shoot, I am working a little right now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
jmilum wrote:
Fast Retailing which owns a few brands including Uniqlo, is doing an experiment with a 4 Day work week:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-20/uniqlo-to-...

That's the schedule I work (4 ten hour days and then 3 days off). I like it as the three days off in a row is VERY nice. anyone else work that schedule or something else that's not a standard 8 hour, 5 days a week thing?
Hah. More often than not. 4-3, 10 hour shifts. 4-3, 12 hour shifts. 3-2, 8 hour shifts. 4-3, 8 hour shifts. 6-2, 10 hour shifts. 7-0, 24 hour shifts (I was deployed three times). Had a 5-2 work week with anywhere from 3-7 hour days once (yay, mail clerk).


Probably doesn't help your query, though, as the military can have crazy schedules. Depends on your requirements, depends on the workforce, depends on a good number of things. Regardless, having a consistent schedule that A. Doesn't kill you, and B. can be forecast out ... that's about as much as you can ask for. And in the meantime, people can stand on their head for long enough if there's an endpoint.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Fast Retailing which owns a few brands including Uniqlo, is doing an experiment with a 4 Day work week:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-20/uniqlo-to-...

That's the schedule I work (4 ten hour days and then 3 days off). I like it as the three days off in a row is VERY nice. anyone else work that schedule or something else that's not a standard 8 hour, 5 days a week thing?


Had the option- correctly assessed that with our work culture, it wouldn't be real. People on 9/80s basically had to work on their day off some and to work extra on their 9 hour days or get fired. In the end, most were laid off anyway despite working close to 2 years worth of free overtime for the company.

I think we need to drop to four 8 hour days. And we need to reset the overtime laws. too much abuse of exempt status. Overtime for anyone who works over 40 hours a week unless you are making top 10% income.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

It can be hard for some people to comprehend, but if you work every day it just becomes routine. As long as you are not working hard and you are not expecting days off you settle into a routine. If you are expecting weekends off and the rug keeps getting pulled out from under you, it quickly becomes miserable.



It's not hard to comprehend. The poor of Africa don't feel the absence of television and pizza, people in long-term abusive relationships learn to roll with the punches, face hunters don't even know that it's possible to make decisions in a game. Animals are very good at adapting to their environment, it makes perfect sense.

It is a bit hard to imagine willingly adopting such a lifestyle if you didn't have, especially just to cover for poor impulse control, but if you're already in it and happy then good for you, I guess. You're probably more content than I am.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
I don't work it myself, but the production floor here is 24/7/365 so they have non-standard shifts. There are four shifts, early/late week and day/night. They work 12 hours 6-6 and from Sun-Tue or Thu-Sat with alternate Wed. I could see the appeal of the EWD shift, but any other one would suck because you're either working overnight or you would have no Friday or Saturday ever so you could never have any sort of social activity.

Myself and a coworker work very slightly non-standard shifts because of that, purely for our own convenience. He comes in around 5am and leaves around 1 and I come in around 11 and stay until around 7. This gives us a little time to deal directly with the off shift people if they need us.




The operations staff here has started to work a DuPont schedule. It's really weird. my department will eventually have to switch to a 24/7 schedule to support Operations, but my boss doesn't like DuPont. Our department has developed its own schedule but we haven't gotten it approved yet. I think we will have to switch sometime next year.


Many of the people up here work the DuPont schedule. They really like having 7days in a row off regularly. Take 4 days of vacation and you can have 13-14 days off in a row. Short change is rough on people (Sunday day shift, Tuesday night shift)

As for me, I'm straight days, 5 9s. We've got a location that runs 4 10s and we've been trying to convince manglement to switch to that schedule for years.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now I work 12hr days, six days a week. If I made it back to the states and got a job with a 4d/10h schedule, I would easily be able to handle it.
If I was coming off a regular five day a week schedule though, I think it might take some time to adjust or maybe I would find that I didn't like it post-adjustment. Getting bumped up from eight hours to ten a day would be a change. And sure there is an extra day at the end of the week to spend with the family but the other week nights would see you getting home in time to eat dinner and then what? More time with my family than I currently get (zero time) is an improvement, but I could understand if someone else didn't want to give up those two hours a day.

I think my ideal schedule, outside of working panamas or something, would be a compressed work week like I had in tech school at Keesler AFB:
Week One - Monday through Thursday, 9 hours
Friday, 8 hours
Week Two - Monday through Thursday, 9 hours
Friday, No work.
Still get those 40 hour weeks, have a three day weekend twice a month, and only work an extra hour a day. That would be pretty pleasant for a lot of people, I think.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer 5 8s over 4 10s. I don't like to get up very early and 5 8s means I can get up at 7 am and be home in time for supper.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
People give away over half their lives (when you consider commuting and prep time) to jobs that 90% of them don't even like that much.

In many cases, they only work so they can afford to live the lifestyle that allows them to work.

it's crazy.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
People give away over half their lives (when you consider commuting and prep time) to jobs that 90% of them don't even like that much.

In many cases, they only work so they can afford to live the lifestyle that allows them to work.

it's crazy.



I don't see how you stop that without living in an impossible socialist utopia.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
People give away over half their lives (when you consider commuting and prep time) to jobs that 90% of them don't even like that much.

In many cases, they only work so they can afford to live the lifestyle that allows them to work.

it's crazy.



I don't see how you stop that without living in an impossible socialist utopia.


Our productivity is enormously higher than it was a hundred years ago. That could have easily translated to fewer working hours (say 35 hours a week) with a correspondingly lower standard of living (still awesome compared to a hundred years ago) and lots of time for family, creative activities, etc.

I chose to live below a $125k per year standard of living so I could actually live my last 30ish years. One concrete trade was roughly 140 more hours a year with my grandchildren. Another trade was 180 books read. Another was greatly reduced blood pressure, blood sugar, body weight, reduced exhaustion. Another was 260 miles of bike riding. Another was 70 episodes of Numb3rs. Another was the chance to heal people and remove their pain and restore the use of their limbs and to receive their sincere praise for doing so. And this being where we are an extra 96 hour of boardgaming.

Or I could have kept working 10+ hours a day, doing something I was good at but didn't enjoy.

We don't have to work this hard. We can live very well on only slightly less. Imagine if you had 1 more hour per work day of life. Heck- just imagine if you actually had 7 hours a day of fun life and 7 hours a day of work and then 2 hours a day of commuting and meal preparation with a good night's sleep (or more fun if you sleep less than 2 hours a day).

Our schedule is insane. Even if you are religious- you only have one life on earth with boardgaming time with the kids while they are kids etc. Why are you giving it away?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Mc
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
People give away over half their lives (when you consider commuting and prep time) to jobs that 90% of them don't even like that much.

In many cases, they only work so they can afford to live the lifestyle that allows them to work.

it's crazy.



I don't see how you stop that without living in an impossible socialist utopia.


I stopped it by moving to Europe. Which, I guess, some Americans might consider an impossible socialist utopia.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather do three 13 hour shifts to be honest. I do like 'getting work out of the way'.

Working in a hospital pathology lab though I end up working very strange patterns. This week I should be 5 days 3-11pm, next week I'm only working two days 12 hours each, the next 3 10-6 shifts and 2 12 hours night shifts at the weekend.

We just have a total hours that need to be worked and the computer assigns shift patterns fairly as they are needed. We can also request four shift assignments (mainly day shifts) a month and have 290 hours (38.6 days) annual leave because we don't get public holidays automatically off.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
I prefer 5 8s over 4 10s. I don't like to get up very early and 5 8s means I can get up at 7 am and be home in time for supper.


Before I had kids I'd have gladly taken four tens instead. (Then again, I was usually doing five tens and a few hours on Saturday, so what do I know?) Now I think I'd rather have the five eights for similar reasons to yours--I don't mind getting up early, so I'm in the office by 7:30 and out the door at 16:00. That gets me home as the kids are getting up from their naps and lets me spend all evening with them (and give my wife a break from toddler hell for a while) until bedtime. If I was working ten hour shifts now I'd barely see them on those days.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the problem with pretty much any different schedule is the expectation that you're going to do SOME work, not no work, during the normal business hours, even though you worked during non-traditional business hours. Like as if Friday isn't REALLY a day off, or a day worth preserving as off, it's not like it's SATURDAY you know...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to think I'd like 3 13's or 4 10's, but after actually working 5 8-ish (usually 9)'s, I prefer it to 10's.

There is still an evening and I feel like doing something in it after only working for 8 or 9. After 10 or 11, I usually just vegged. (Note, this tendency got worse in my 40's.)

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like vegging way too much so coaching soccer and taking kids to practice and such is helpful to keep me a bit more active in the kids' lives instead of in my management sim life.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Holy shit, rebuilding your games collection is expensive!
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't be the workweek I reformed - it would be how my company and other companies I've worked for treat Exempt employees. I'm expected to be on-site for 8 hours a day, but when I get my work done in 2 or 4 hours, then the rest is just chair time. If I'm not getting paid hourly, what does it matter what I do after my work is done? Let me go home.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mmazala wrote:
It wouldn't be the workweek I reformed - it would be how my company and other companies I've worked for treat Exempt employees. I'm expected to be on-site for 8 hours a day, but when I get my work done in 2 or 4 hours, then the rest is just chair time. If I'm not getting paid hourly, what does it matter what I do after my work is done? Let me go home.


Why aren't you working to improve the company during that extra time???
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.