James McMillan
Scotland
Cupar
Fife
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I have only heard about this game in the last week. I love dungeon crawls. I know little about Mantic. I have tried to glean as much info as I can online. I am struggling, however, to pin down exactly what is in the Adventurers Companion.

The coop mode sounds awesome. I get that.

However the info also hints at the possibility of creating your own adventures with your own tiles and minis. Now does this mean 'any' tiles and minis or only Mantic stuff? I ask because I own a number of different games with tiles an minis and I could see myself having a lot of fun creating scenarios using my other stuff.how exactly will this work?

Can anyone shed some light for me?

EDIT: Spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drjmcmillan wrote:
Ok so I have only heard about this game in the last week. I love dungeon crawls. I know little about Mantic. I have tried to glean as much info as I can online. I am struggling, however, to pin down exactly what is in the Adventurers Companion.

The coop mode sounds awesome. I get that.

However the info also hints at the possibility of creating your own adventures with your own tiles and minis. Now does this mean 'any' tiles and minis or only Mantic stuff? I ask because I own a number of different games with tiles an minis and I could see myself having a lot of fun creating scenarios using my other stuff.how exactly will this work?

Can anyone shed some light for me?

EDIT: Spelling

While you're at it, you could also play it with your own rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teskal Flink
Germany
flag msg tools
With the Advanced Rules it should be possible to do it. There should be many other fantasy monsters in it.

The Adventures Companion includes:
Quote:
Features:

Create a hero - Generate a truly individual Hero or Overlord from scratch, based on any model in your collection. The choice is yours, from name and profession to spells and songs!

Design the Dungeon - Conjure up your very own maps, objectives and backstory. From the cavernous to the claustrophobic, we give you the tools and tips to put together a unique challenge.

Level Up - Watch proudly as your Character evolves from the very first adventure, gaining levels, abilities, and above all great stories to tell! Will you master a discipline, or branch out and learn new skills?

Be Bad - Turn the game on its head by playing as an evil party, heading off to take down a ‘good’ Overlord and his band of so-called Heroes.

Explore - Between adventures, visit one of 13 different downtime locations to rest, replenish and more! Will it be Tavern or the Temple this time?

Play Solo or Full Co-op - These rules allow for a new and engaging single-player experience, in addition to a co-operative mode in which no Overlord player is required!

Tackle Uncharted Dungeons - Venture into the unknown and hold your breath as the map unfolds before you in this exciting variant where no-one knows what lurks around the next corner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I believe the adventurer's companion, or whatever the advanced rules are called, is just that: a set of advanced rules that you can use to play your own version of the game using Dwarven Forge tiles, Reaper Bones heroes, Games Workshop orcs, and a ketchup bottle for the demon prince boss monster. The advanced rules aren't yet available, and us KSers should be getting them in a month or two (or three?). I'm assuming they'd go to retail not too long after that.

And of course you can use your own rules too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teskal Flink
Germany
flag msg tools
Also mentions in the Dungeon Saga pledge picture:
- KOW Undead Rules
- KOW Goblin Rules
- KOW Abyssal Rules
- KOW Abyssal Dwarf Rules
- Scenario Creator
- Dungeon Generator
- Bestiary
- Setting & History
- Design your own Character
- Character Progressions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMillan
Scotland
Cupar
Fife
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
While you're at it, you could also play it with your own rules.

Sarcasm noted.

My intention was to buy the base game anyway. I suppose I'm just fishing for info in advance of the release. I'm not trying to stiff Mantic, it's just it would be super-added value if , as well as playing the Mantic way, I could also incorporate my other resources.

I wondered if I'd missed some info that provided a bit of clarity on this specific matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drjmcmillan wrote:
I wondered if I'd missed some info that provided a bit of clarity on this specific matter.

There's no in depth info about the Adventurer's Companion content yet. It seems to be a compilation of rules that you can use with Dungeon Saga if you wish. Dungeon Generator and Scenario Creator sound like something that you can use to build your own adventures. Bestiary probably helps you to populate your adventures with villains and enemies. Design your own Character and Character Progressions probably will make it possible to create balanced heroes for those home brew adventures.

I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't use your own square design dungeon/terrain tiles for your own adventures. And if you design your own hero you can use any miniature you wish for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jimmy jo jim Bob
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
rotting rubbish heap of a world
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordjinn wrote:
drjmcmillan wrote:

There's no in depth info about the Adventurer's Companion content yet. It seems to be a compilation of rules that you can use with Dungeon Saga if you wish. Dungeon Generator and Scenario Creator sound like something that you can use to build your own adventures. Bestiary probably helps you to populate your adventures with villains and enemies. Design your own Character and Character Progressions probably will make it possible to create balanced heroes for those home brew adventures.

I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't use your own square design dungeon/terrain tiles for your own adventures. And if you design your own hero you can use any miniature you wish for it.

This just sounds like another fantasy role-playing game to me, with props. What's the value-add?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teskal Flink
Germany
flag msg tools
DS or any Dungeon Crawlers are not really worth to by named RPG's. RPG's are much more complex.

In the moment there is no information about the game, what it makes really special. The main rules in the first 3 scenarios shown on BoW are not really helping to know more. I hope the DS week will show much more.

I liked the BoW videos. They are really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeegen wrote:
What's the value-add?
It's another fantasy role-playing game, with props.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teskal wrote:
DS or any Dungeon Crawlers are not really worth to by named RPG's. RPG's are much more complex.
It's a not-too-complex, easy-to-learn, easy-to-play, extremely visual skirmish-like board game. There needs to be some sort of quasi-board-game-RPG category for games that are MORE than "just a board game" but that have RPG qualities (ongoing character progression and/or campaign stories). There is a need for these for people that haven't got the time and resources to play "real" RPGs (is there even a wiki-able definition of that) but that want "more" than "just a board game" so that they can still feel that RPG camaraderie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wallack Wallack
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just give it time. Game isn't released yet.

Descent is a good example. Is a similar game, with a similar theme and a lot of people (including myself) have created custom content, from new classes, to automated overlord systems ... so just give it time, and the community will, for sure, create new content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeegen wrote:
This just sounds like another fantasy role-playing game to me, with props. What's the value-add?

The thing is, it isn't "another fantasy role-playing game", this is an "RPG-in-a-Box" type game (like Descent or Imperial Assault).

The Adventurer's Companion adds the rules necessary to make it a full-fledged RPG with all of the bells, whistles and gory details required.

This true value-add comes from the fact that you can start with the box and after you play the adventures included there with the characters included there you can decide if you want to take it to the next level and build your own characters and your own campaign world to adventure in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmair62 wrote:
Jeegen wrote:

The thing is, it isn't "another fantasy role-playing game", this is an "RPG-in-a-Box" type game (like Descent or Imperial Assault).

Splitting hairs, aren't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about "RPG Lite" or SORPG "Soar pig" Sort of RPG???

Come on....who's with me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ET11 wrote:
How about "RPG Lite" or SORPG "Soar pig" Sort of RPG??? Come on....who's with me?
I really shouldn't, but, yeah, I'm *totally* onboard for SORPG!

Edit:
So is that "soar pig" as in "when pigs fly" or "sore pig" because ... ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hall
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it mentioned in some of the blog posts and videos that Mantic have posted, that if you already have dungeon tiles and miniatures, you could use the contents of the Adventurer's Companion product to play Dungeon Saga, WITHOUT owning the main Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest box.

(You'd just have to invent your own scenarios using the tiles and stuff you have on hand.)

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Adventurers companion contains the full main rules, apparently. (table of contents is up on mantics blog)
Youd have some trouble with generating random dungeons (unless youre replicating every tile from the base game), but apart from that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyr13 wrote:
Adventurers companion contains the full main rules, apparently. (table of contents is up on mantics blog)
Of course they do. I was terribly confused about why there was so much of the book dedicated to replicating the rules from the main game and figured maybe they expand on them a little bit. Just now I FINALLY clued in to the fact that the rules are there for people that don't WANT the main game and just want the rules! D'OH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
Tyr13 wrote:
Adventurers companion contains the full main rules, apparently. (table of contents is up on mantics blog)
Of course they do. I was terribly confused about why there was so much of the book dedicated to replicating the rules from the main game and figured maybe they expand on them a little bit. Just now I FINALLY clued in to the fact that the rules are there for people that don't WANT the main game and just want the rules! D'OH!

Ronnie mentioned it in some video. If you have your dwarven-forgetable, your miniature-collection and you don't want a prewrittten campagne then you could juts buy the adventurer's companion and go with that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
Ronnie mentioned it in some video. If you have your dwarven-forgetable, your miniature-collection and you don't want a prewrittten campagne then you could juts buy the adventurer's companion and go with that...
I haven't watched every video (I've tried to!) so I probably missed that one. The question is, is it just a cut'n'paste of the main game rulebook, or did they expand on the rules and make them much more RPG than SORPG? I'm worried that it's just the same old rules because, for me, the Adventurer's Companion should take the game far beyond just the out-of-the-box "beginner's set" base game. I'll know once I get the book into my hot little hands!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimsonsun God
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
EverywhereGames wrote:
Cuthailion wrote:
I haven't watched every video (I've tried to!) so I probably missed that one. The question is, is it just a cut'n'paste of the main game rulebook, or did they expand on the rules and make them much more RPG than SORPG? I'm worried that it's just the same old rules because, for me, the Adventurer's Companion should take the game far beyond just the out-of-the-box "beginner's set" base game. I'll know once I get the book into my hot little hands!

The first 32 pages are the rulebook which being as the actual rulebook is only 24 pages must include some extras. From the contents page we can see that the Companion also includes:
Then we have 10 pages about hero races which is fairly cool.
Then 9 pages on classes with a page on building your own heroes.
The next 5 pages list 10 famous Heroes including the named versions of those found in the core game and the expansions (those Kick starter exclusive ones will be in the Journal however.
Then we have the Abilities(7pages) which are: General/combat/Illegal/Spell/Song.
Next up is 5 pages on campaigns covering the following topics, Experience, Levelling and Feats.
The Next Chapter is called Uncharted Dungeons which if combined with A Dungeon to Call your Own reaches a massive 5 pages. - This is build a dungeon and Random Dungeon creation stuff.
Next is AI Dungeons, another 2 pages though to be fair a large amount of this information is contained on the Cards.
Finally we have the Bestiary which totals 12 pages, which is kinda slim pickings in my mind, especially as we were promised (kick Starter) background for Manticia (which I know sod all about) and while I appreciate that you can include a good number of creatures per page as they are done using a Chart system I am concerned these lists will be minimal rather than extensive. I do however hope these along with the back ground elements are further expanded in the Journal we have been promised.

So I'm going to attempt to figure out what's been added and where in regards to the rules:
Well it appears we lose 6 of the 8 gained pages between the introduction and the getting started sections, which does not bode well. This is pages discussing the contents of the compendium and some additional introduction text. Moving on it looks like the Getting Started and How to Set up your game sections are pure copy pasted over which is fine I guess so on to the meat of the rules:
All identical until you hit Doors and Locks at which point we gain traps, Magical Furniture, hidden compartments and destroying furniture expands the rules by one page this is followed by an additional page handling Large Creatures though I'm not fully sure what's going to be different here but maybe they felt it needed more explaining. That's it then you get to the Hero rules as I detailed above. Now obviously I could be mistaken and the rules are different despite the page numbers and headings being identical (including subheadings) but I would be surprised if that was the case.

Also be aware that the Expansions all contain minor additions to the game in terms of rules, for example we have nothing to govern huge creatures (unless this is the extra stuff on large monsters) nor does it look like the bestiary contains any to cover Giants and Dragons etc. While I imagine that for example the rules of Lava are covered in the abyssal expansion (I know there are rules for Lava as Jake said so), while the Dragon will obviously be in the Tyrant of Halpi and I'm positive the expansions will be the source of information for different overlord types as that's where you get the unique Class specific overlord cards to use instead of the Necromancy ones, though it does limit customisation somewhat I can understand why this direction has been taken for that aspect.

Obviously the exact contents of the expansions remains a mystery as does the contents of the Blackstone Fortress and the Journal itself, though Id not expect new rules beyond what I've listed above to make an appearance but I do hope there's more. Core things missing Water, Climbing, falling, searching and exploration as a whole, alternatives to playing using a timer as the main resolution for ending adventures, Equipment, Stealth - though this may be covered in the illegal abilities to a degree, custom Traps (guessing)and/or any way of representing or effecting Hero/monster/boss/overlord mentality. For me the above are fairly critical. Also Sub-quests don't exist currently, which I feel is awfully dull and I'm going to look at a way of including them via location (downtime) and dungeon events, so individual heroes will have individual quests if they wish to pursue them, while a large amount of the other things I listed I will be looking to utilise/create a Dungeoning Skill to govern. The Mental side and equipment is going to be very tricky to handle however as I can't think of a way to do either well that doesn't involve more changes than I'm looking to enforce but I'll think about it once I've got everything.

As another aside Hero AI is no longer in the game, so while you can have a AI dungeon you can't run AI heroes though a dungeon you've created to playtest it (which is exactly why I wanted AI rules.. Bugger).

To conclude, make of the information above as you will but I'm not getting the impression that the compendium really covers the advanced rules, rather it just brings in some very basic development concepts and includes traps.

Thanks for reading;
crimsonsun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
A big list as always ;-)

Thank for the breakdown.

As for the video where Ronnie talks about the Adventurer's Companion: I think it's this one. Can't watch it myself right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=556&v=ig3-h7zDYjQ

But if you can realy play without the base game... I don't know. I guess you might be missing out on some key-components (like the OL-Deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimsonsun God
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
Cuthailion wrote:
A big list as always ;-)

Thank for the breakdown.

As for the video where Ronnie talks about the Adventurer's Companion: I think it's this one. Can't watch it myself right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=556&v=ig3-h7zDYjQ

But if you can realy play without the base game... I don't know. I guess you might be missing out on some key-components (like the OL-Deck).

The standard Overlord deck comes with the companion as do all the cards and counters from the main game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.