Subject: Solo rules question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Cabusora
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
After a little bit of confusion due to me never having played the game in any form before, I think I have most of the details of the solo variant down. No junkyard: check. Include medics: check.

One remaining question I have, though... Should skirmishes be resolved per the regular rules or the 2-player rules? I would have assumed, a priori, that the 2-player rules would be used, but since skirmish ties would then result in putting a contested resource (which one?) in the junkyard (nonexistent), I just played it with the standard rules. Anyone do any differently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Standard skirmish rules. There aren't "two players", there's either one or several, depending on how you count. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Bennett
Canada
Canwood
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this solo by the way? interested in checking it out, mainly for solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lucem13 wrote:

Unfortunately, it's a bit broken as a solo game, at least how the rules are currently written. A few house rules would fix it, though.

The problem is that there is no reason to initiate a skirmish and you can just prepare and prepare and prepare. Your final score is based on the size of your deck so just keep going and you will eventually have a huge deck (the losing one card every time you shuffle just slows that down a little and less so as time goes on. It doesn't really matter too much if you lose skirmishes either since you can just make up for your losses by grinding on hiring and scavenging to increase the size of your deck.

The fix may be to simply require skirmishing at certain times as if the "opponent" initiated it. Maybe on a die roll or some other set time (must skirmish once in the first 5 rounds and then in the next 3 rounds and then once every two rounds from then on out.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hansen
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was a mistake for them to release a solo variant without a cap or timer. I think a simple turn timer is all that you need to fix it.

For example, take a D20, put it on the 20, and starting with the second turn substract 1 every turn. That gives you 20 turns (maximum) to accrue the highest score as possible while working through the 7 encounters. If you don't get through all 7 before the timer runs out, you lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Downie
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RHPDaddy wrote:
It doesn't really matter too much if you lose skirmishes either since you can just make up for your losses by grinding on hiring and scavenging to increase the size of your deck.
There is no Junkyard in the Solo variant to scavenge from so this technique is a lot harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vyking wrote:
There is no Junkyard in the Solo variant to scavenge from so this technique is a lot harder.

What is the digging action/value supposed to be used for, then? Is a shovel just a bad spear? A scavenger not as versatile as before just less effective than a brawler or hunter?

And did i get that right that each card gives a point at the end? Not each individual?

Furthermore, Robert Gabhart, if you read this... As much love as your game receives otherwise, there's a lot of complaints about the solo variant. You keep answering to rules questions in person and very kindly, but I haven't seen an answer to the solo issues. What's your take on this? Do you like any of the suggestions from these forums? Using the blank card as a randomised timer? Add a merc to one of the AI skirmish decks every turn you don't initiate a skirmish?

Last, I was looking forward to the solo ability of this game when purchasing, but don't usually like beat-your-own-score goals. Did anyone think of another solo mechanism?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
Vyking wrote:

What is the digging action/value supposed to be used for, then? Is a shovel just a bad spear? A scavenger not as versatile as before just less effective than a brawler or hunter?

And did i get that right that each card gives a point at the end? Not each individual?

Furthermore, Robert Gabhart, if you read this... As much love as your game receives otherwise, there's a lot of complaints about the solo variant. You keep answering to rules questions in person and very kindly, but I haven't seen an answer to the solo issues. What's your take on this? Do you like any of the suggestions from these forums? Using the blank card as a randomised timer? Add a merc to one of the AI skirmish decks every turn you don't initiate a skirmish?

Last, I was looking forward to the solo ability of this game when purchasing, but don't usually like beat-your-own-score goals. Did anyone think of another solo mechanism?

Sorry, I've been super busy working on the next two expansion.

Yes, I like some of the ideas I've been seeing. I particularly like some variation of adding a merc to the AI decks and having your score be based upon number of CRs you win (i.e. win a skirmish and place that stack aside for score keeping purposes) - the # of cards that were added. Alternately, no score, and the object of the game is to beat tougher versions of the 7 mercs.

Lastly, who started the vicious rumor about no Junkyard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Downie
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gabhart wrote:
I never noticed it to begin with but in another thread someone noticed the Solo Rules did not mention setting up the Junkyard at all. It does mention setting everything else up though, hence why this (now confirmed) mistake has came about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Robert, thanks for answering so quickly.

Exciting to hear about new expansions.

gabhart wrote:
Yes, I like some of the ideas I've been seeing. I particularly like some variation of adding a merc to the AI decks and having your score be based upon number of CRs you win (i.e. win a skirmish and place that stack aside for score keeping purposes) - the # of cards that were added. Alternately, no score, and the object of the game is to beat tougher versions of the 7 mercs.

Sounds great, I'll try some of these out.

gabhart wrote:

Ha! Good to know. And yes, Vyking answered this comrehensively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bjork

Virginia
msg tools
Indeed. I actually logged in here since I was trying to set up for the solo game, and I wondered this very thing about a junkyard deck. So, I guess the designer's intent is to play with the junkyard, even though it is not instructed to play with one explicitly. I define the scope of play (what is possible) by the ink of the rules.

For that matter, do we use the junkyard cards from the initial base game? Do we add cards from the HQ and recon?

Perhaps a FAQ or erratum even a new pdf of a replacement solo rules from the game web site (once playtested) is in order...

One idea is having some kind of tough-ish bar to clear, like how Agricola solo has a target score of 50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Repeat Dance

Lincoln
Nebraska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we DO use the junkyard? Holy cats! Maybe I need to give this game another shot solo, because it's languished on my shelf after the first couple of plays left me "meh".

Pretty sure it was me that initially pointed out that the solo rules made no mention of setting up the junkyard. Sorry for any others that I helped confuse, and I'm surprised that Robert didn't correct me back then.

Anyway, guess I need to pull this off the shelf tonight and see if it changes things for by playing correctly lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RHPDaddy wrote:
lucem13 wrote:

Unfortunately, it's a bit broken as a solo game, at least how the rules are currently written. A few house rules would fix it, though.

The problem is that there is no reason to initiate a skirmish and you can just prepare and prepare and prepare. Your final score is based on the size of your deck so just keep going and you will eventually have a huge deck (the losing one card every time you shuffle just slows that down a little and less so as time goes on. It doesn't really matter too much if you lose skirmishes either since you can just make up for your losses by grinding on hiring and scavenging to increase the size of your deck.

The fix may be to simply require skirmishing at certain times as if the "opponent" initiated it. Maybe on a die roll or some other set time (must skirmish once in the first 5 rounds and then in the next 3 rounds and then once every two rounds from then on out.)

actually that random die roll sounds perfect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.