13 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Dark Matter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Been working on these guys for a week or so. Hardest part was finding some good pics besides the promo shots and special abilities on a few, especially One and Three.

Overall, I think I'm happier with each of them individually than as a crew. When I put together a group, I usually try to make them work well together, but these guys don't, largely because they're so Fight-heavy that they're not really balanced in other areas (although adding The Android would even out Tech).

Anyway, I'll let the cards speak for themselves. Most of them are pretty straightforward. My favorite may be Two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Impressive! (as usual )
I haven't see the show, so my judgments are based just on how they'd play, not on how well you captured their style in Firefly-form.

I love the concept of characters being Aces for Misbehaving. I also really love the idea of Two, for sure.

One entertains me a lot because he seems like he is made to put up with crap, which is just funny to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tenebrae
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice! Can't wait to see the Android and their ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More crew, more choices.thumbsup

With so many custom crew cards floating around here, I am considering creating a separate deck of crew only, and giving a player the option of making one of their allowable draws from from this deck, instead of just the pertinent supply deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Watts
United States
Ringgold
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
These are outstanding. Great stuff!

I see that you have done up Killjoys as well. Have you considered doing cards for Defiance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No current plans for DEFIANCE for two reasons:

1) I don't watch DEFIANCE which would make it difficult!

2) I generally maintain a "no aliens" stance (although I DID break it for Star Wars: Rebels cards)

If folks work on cards for the show, I'd be happy to participate from a design and balance standpoint, but unfortunately, I can't make it a Friday full sweep on my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SimGuy wrote:
More crew, more choices.thumbsup

With so many custom crew cards floating around here, I am considering creating a separate deck of crew only, and giving a player the option of making one of their allowable draws from from this deck, instead of just the pertinent supply deck.

I'm not sure where these guys would end up in the "official" version, but I suspect many of them will wind up at the Black Market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wydraz
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, after that last episode I think you might want to reconsider Two. Not only did she survive a deadly viral infection a few episodes ago, now she survived being spaced. I think she might have a "Hard to Kill" special ability...

Oh, but she's a leader, and they already can't be killed. Never mind. That seems like a more impressive ability than keeping wanted crew from being disgruntled, I had to comment. Still, I like what you did there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, even before the last episode, I saw where we were going (even if I didn't get "how" until this Friday). I toyed with incorporating that, but figured making her a leader and giving her a leaderly ability was the easier way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way Two's ability is worded, it sounds like when you do an Immoral job with Wanted Moral crew, you would disgruntle them if you paid them (for the morality conflict), but you could stiff them on their pay and they'd be entirely happy with the job's morality too (or at least not unhappy enough to disgruntle).

"Wanted crew are not disgruntled by not being paid their cut of an immoral job" might work better.

Or you could bypass it and use:

"When working immoral jobs, wanted crew's cut is zero"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The phrasing I used is adapted from Zoe-as-leader.

I get what you're saying about the ambiguity (I think GOOD DEEDS is a clearer, if wordier, way to do it), but I'd like to retain consistency with the official version.

Comparing Two to Zoe, do you thing the additional condition (Moral Jobs only) is in the right place? I DID try that in a few different spots before settling on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy this show, though to me it has a Firefly feel (I keep calling Three "Jayne" and Five "River" for some reason.
It looks like you got the feel of the characters nicely, I do wonder if there is something you can do with Four to work on his royal heritage and "emperor assassin" black mark.
Oh, and maybe Five should have Mechanic also?
Thanks for the crew.

Eager to see the Android!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you have thoughts on how to incorporate Four's heritage, let me know. I gave it some thought (admittedly, not a ton) and couldn't come up with anything that would have impact on the game.

With respect to Five, I actually originally planned to give her Mechanic, but then I remembered that Two can ALSO fix techie things... Even so, I was going to double down, but when I did the math, I realized that Five was one of the more powerful Crew members (in part, because she's not Wanted).

After the finale this weekend, I'll probably revisit my Dark Matter AND Killjoys threads and add a few characters. Definitely the Android here, maybe also the competing crew of mercs. For Killjoys, probably Pree and the doctor, Fancy Lee...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.