Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald Brown
United States
Desert Hot Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm working on a design that has a deck (about 60 cards) of "missions", each mission has steps that must be done to succeed, rewards for success and punishment for failure, flavor text, etc.

It's too much to fit on a 2.5"x3.5" card.

I'm considering two choices - going with a bigger 3.5"x5" card, or sticking with a 2.5" card that says "Open the manual and read mission #23"

Anyone ever face that issue? As gamers, any strong preference? It'll be cheaper to do the latter, but I don't want to hurt the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Does https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/111105/agents-smersh do this? The game needs to be what it needs to be. Go ahead and experiment. Put costs aside for a while, that usually hinders creativity for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Can you print on the back of the card? If it is a draw deck, you can always put one "cover" card over the deck during the game. Easy to remove to draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Cleland
Australia
Baulkham Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
I supported because ...
badge
my silence is not questioned, nor is my presence, and sometimes there's magic!
mbmbmbmbmb
If the missions can be reduced to a fairly common set elements, icons might save you? If each mission needs to be spelled out in detail, perhaps look at how they might be reduced to a more narrow set of common elements? Even if you reduce the success/failure to icons, you're saving valuable real estate.

For instance, I can see the following phrase becoming a small set of "mission", "success", and "failure" icons, rather than writing out long-hand: "Travel to Egypt by boat, collect three art treasures from the markets, and sell them through the auction-house in London. Success gives you 2 gold + 1 archaeology skill, failure loses you 1 influence." With technical data reduced to icons, there's plenty more room for flavour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
Can you print on the back of the card? If it is a draw deck, you can always put one "cover" card over the deck during the game. Easy to remove to draw.

Or draw from the bottom of the deck (with the cover card on top).

Another thing to consider... Do you have serious plans to manufacture this game? If it is not likely to actually have a print run, then make them the way you want it. If it is to be published, then the options above may work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Brown
United States
Desert Hot Springs
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have a hope of interesting a publisher (but don't we all?). It's unlikely I'd self publish.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Time to try things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought would be to remove the flavour text. (But then I'm not really that interesting in flavour text anyway - my opinion is that you can usually get the theme though card name, powers and artwork).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
toober wrote:

Or draw from the bottom of the deck (with the cover card on top).

Another thing to consider... Do you have serious plans to manufacture this game? If it is not likely to actually have a print run, then make them the way you want it. If it is to be published, then the options above may work.

I agree with printing double-sided and drawing from the bottom of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.