Subject: Maybe not the Strongest there is... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running some Secret Wars content-exclusive set-ups so I can play around with the new stuff, and after getting my butt handed to me by Nimrod and the Annhiliation Wave (that scheme is significantly harder than it appears) last night, I tried my hand against Wasteland Hulk as he attempts to corrupt the next generation of heroes.

Setup:

MM: Wasteland Hulk
Villains: Wasteland
Henchmen: MODOKs
Heroes: Proxima Midnight, Black Bolt, Magik

Outcome: I trounced the Hulk. Send-him-crying-home-to-his-mommy style.

I used a randomized set-up, but holy hell do these 3 work well together. It also helps that the scheme provides you with a healthy stream of Sidekicks to feed into Magik's card and Black Bolt's (more sidekicks means more chances to draw blank cards). On one turn I had 17 cards, providing me 24 Fight and 16 recruit. It was nuts. The fact that Proxima has a blank card only further added to this set-up.
Also, the Cross-Dimensional Hulk rampage kind of becomes pointless once you've beaten the Hulk once. Which, at 7 fight, isn't all that difficult.

Black Bolt is quickly climbing up the ranks to become one of my favorite characters, and Magik is right behind him.

I had initially placed the Mastermind rankings as ZGG -> Madelyne -> Hulk -> Nimrod, but after these last two games, I'm gonna reverse the last two. Hulk isn't all that hard, the Master Strike becomes ineffectual once you've beaten him. His only forte is he becomes crazy strong for the last battle or two, but, at least with the heroes I had, that wasn't much of an issue...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahewlett
msg tools
mbmb
I have to agree with you Itai. After three random games against him he never really put up any fight. Of the four new ones madelyne is the one giving me the most problems as I can't seem to stay ahead of her goblins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Paris
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally would have loved to see him get stronger by +7 for each tactic. I might houserule it to that anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played a 3 player game against WLH. He's a lot harder when not everybody has a Hulk. When the Hulk gang came out, it was a mad dash to see who could kill them first. I still don't like Black Bolt all that much. I think he needed a second card that was blank. That, or his common should have triggered w/ three blank cards. Without those draws, he's not nearly as effective. Perhaps I just haven't gotten him to work for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaninblack wrote:
I played a 3 player game against WLH. He's a lot harder when not everybody has a Hulk. When the Hulk gang came out, it was a mad dash to see who could kill them first. I still don't like Black Bolt all that much. I think he needed a second card that was blank. That, or his common should have triggered w/ three blank cards. Without those draws, he's not nearly as effective. Perhaps I just haven't gotten him to work for me.

Perhaps it was the combination of Black Bolt & Proxima that worked so well together, as she also has a blank card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roury MCDERMOTT
United States
California
flag msg tools
Also aren't all shield cards blank, those can be used with blackbolt as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elrorio wrote:

Yup. That's the real power of Black Bolt - he's better if you don't thin out your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
elrorio wrote:

Yup. That's the real power of Black Bolt - he's better if you don't thin out your deck.

Which is why I suspect many people aren't liking him because they're so focused on thinning their decks which nerfs him

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
IronSyndicate wrote:
elrorio wrote:

Which is why I suspect many people aren't liking him because they're so focused on thinning their decks which nerfs him

It's that almost the rest of the whole game benefits from deck thinning whereas Black Bolt is the only benefactor of the chaff. The thing with 4 blank heroes is that it only leaves two other cards in your hand. I just think his common needs a tiny bit of a buff. Maybe one more damage or a draw or one fewer blank card for the trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see him working well with Nick Fury...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I got Black Bolt working pretty well with Mr. Fantastic last night. Unstable Molecules helped ensure that Destructive Whisper would go off. Agreed with Mr. Hogan, otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Anez
Venezuela
flag msg tools
Destructive Whisper feels like reverse Repulsor Rays from Iron Man. Repulsor Rays is bad-ish in the early game and then later it becomes OK, while Drestructive Whisper is OK in the early game and then later it becomes bad-ish. Speak No Words is pretty good, though. Especially since Ranged and Covert are probably the two classes that trigger the most Superpowers

Back on to the topic of Wasteland Hulk, I think it's fine that he isn't that strong. Every expansion has to have a guy that's just there for easier games, a Red Skull if you may. I think it's fitting that his shtick grows thin so quickly: The Hulk only knows how to smash, and once you learn how to deal with The Hulk's smashing, he isn't a complex threat, just a big one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had my first try with wasteland hulk and lost. Used dark alliance scheme with red skull against kitty pryde, old man Logan and superior iron man. Villains were MODOKs and wasteland. First time I used all these cards. I suspect I lost more because this is a tricky scheme and I wasn't used to these heroes yet than because hulk is especially tough. Or maybe I'm just 'puny'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
I could see him working well with Nick Fury...

This. Was thinking the exact same thing. Nick Fury and Black Bolt would be great together and possibly Ultron from Villains as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaninblack wrote:

Played a 4 player with WH and Dan is correct, a mad dash to get Hulks. It was ugly and difficult. We lost a couple of times then meekly moved on to something else with tails between our legs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrRosenRosen wrote:
thedaninblack wrote:

Played a 4 player with WH and Dan is correct, a mad dash to get Hulks. It was ugly and difficult. We lost a couple of times then meekly moved on to something else with tails between our legs.

Played the scheme where the Twist gives all heroes in the HQ a wound and KOs all wounds that are already there, with Wasteland Hulk as the Mastermind.

Woooeee!!!! Those wounds came out fast and furious. Didn't take us long to lose that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hist wrote:

Played the scheme where the Twist gives all heroes in the HQ a wound and KOs all wounds that are already there, with Wasteland Hulk as the Mastermind.

Woooeee!!!! Those wounds came out fast and furious. Didn't take us long to lose that one.

I was just going to talk about that -- on Legacy virus or Pan Dimensional plague, Hulk is a monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.