Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Storisende

This is the city of Land's End with the castle of Storisende at its centre. Two armies will group around it, contesting its Throne called "Attafsix".

Material
There are two players, White and Black. Both have a sufficient number of men in their colour.

Object
The player who succeeds in occupying the Throne at the end of his turn wins.

Protocol

Placement
The castle is excluded from placement. The board starts out empty and the placement stage follows the 'one-bound-one-free' entering protocol: White enters one man after which players take turns to place one man adjacent to the last man placed, and one man on a cell with only vacant adjacencies. Both placements are compulsory till one player cannot make the second placement. That ends the placement stage and his opponent may now proceed with the movement stage.

Movement
A man may move along open lines in any of the six main directions. It may not enter or traverse the castle.

An unbroken straight line of like coloured men is called a phalanx. A phalanx may move as a whole along the line defined by it. Its maximum range is one less than its length. A phalanx may not move over its own men. Any 'sub-phalanx' may move as a phalanx. A phalanx may move into the castle and conditionally onto the Throne. If a phalanx ends its move inside the castle, the men inside remain, while the remainder that is outside the castle is taken off the board in the same turn. A phalanx that is partly outside the castle may move as usual and may (or may not) be able to proceed inside the castle without leaving any remainder outside it.

Switching
A man may move along an open line and come to halt on the first cell occupied by an adverse man. This adverse man now is put on the last vacant cell that the switching man traversed (meaning the departure cell in case of adjacency). The adverse man thus switched may not on his next move 'switch back' the switching man.
A man outside the castle may not switch an adverse man that is inside.
A man inside the castle may move and switch inside the castle, as well as outside of it.

A phalanx may 'run over' an opposing smaller phalanx (including a single man) on the same line. The men thus run over are placed immediately behind the moved phalanx. This too is called 'switching'. The last man of the opposing phalanx halts the move, even if the moving phalanx hasn't reached its maximum range. A phalanx outside or partly outside the castle may not switch men that are inside.
A phalanx inside the castle may move and switch inside the castle, as well as outside of it.

Capturing the Throne
The Throne can only be occupied with a move of a phalanx, the head of which is on one of the six cells immediately adjacent to the Throne, or one cell further down that main diagonal if the cell in between it and the Throne is vacant (more than one cell down, the Throne will be out of reach). To do so, the following conditions must be met before the move:

- The moving player has at least as many men inside the castle as his opponent.
- The moving player has more men inside the castle than there are vacant cells inside it. The Throne counts as one of these cells.

<----------------------->

Did I forget something? Who knows, I'm sure I'll be notified if I did. I'm especially interested (though not very worried) in the measure of cyclophilia/cyclophobia, i.e. can forced cycles arise? That's deductive thinking. I find deductive thinking tiring (and I'm lazy).

P.S. Othello stones may make the manual process of switching easier.

Edit:
- Added regulation of phalanxes that are partly inside and outside the castle.
- Added the possibility that the head of the phalanx that makes the winning move is not adjacent to the Throne, but one cell further down that main diagonal.
- Removed possible ambuigity regarding "traversing".
- The reply about its invention appeared in a parallel thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
The contesting forces being Arabica and Robusta?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray! Another CF game in the wild. I'll try to force my kids to play this with me this weekend and report back ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While not the kind of thing I pursue as a designer, it obviously shows the hand of a skilled technician. The twists and turns in the rules may seem just baroque if taken out of context, but they soon reveal to be necessary counterweight to the main concept, and cleverly arranged at that.

It would be interesting to see this in action. Christian, kudos if it turns out you got the size of the weights intuitively right, without "trouble and strive" (which might well be the case).

As usual, I'm a bit worried about cycles, even though they're possibly less of a practical problem in race-ish games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
luigi87 wrote:
While not the kind of thing I pursue as a designer, it obviously shows the hand of a skilled technician. The twists and turns in the rules may seem just baroque if taken out of context, but they soon reveal to be necessary counterweight to the main concept, and cleverly arranged at that.

It would be interesting to see this in action. Christian, kudos if it turns out you got the size of the weights intuitively right, without "trouble and strive" (which might well be the case).

As usual, I'm a bit worried about cycles, even though they're possibly less of a practical problem in race-ish games.

It's not my usual theme either, but it's kind of hard to dodge if you've started a thread about it. It has become somewhat 'organic' nevertheless, but it's clearly collateral damage. I still got a couple of games hanging in limbo like that, and one of them, Io, might actually be a strategy game. Not that I think that the majority of this forum would know the difference. You see, I've been a hippie and that period was quite long enough for me to act as if all of us would always know what we were talking about.

P.S. Ok, I think it should be out of my system by now. This forum after all is about the behaviour of games, not of inventors, right? …

P.P.S. Ok, ok, I think it should be out of my system by now. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.