Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very interested in this game. Production looks top notch and the gameplay seems fresh and new to me. However, I am worrying about the playing time. I would use this game as a "closer", a fun game after what in our case usually is a fairly serious euro, and I don't want it to outstay it's welcome. We have used Roborally as closer a number of times, but that game has so many times taken way too long to play so I doubt we will ever play it again.

At the six player count, what is the expected playing time? With AP-prone players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in this too. A group of us at work chipped in to buy the game hoping we could play in an hour. I think the simultaneous turns should help quite a bit with that, as we have no trouble fitting 7 Wonders or Among the Stars into an hour timeslot. I believe most phases of a round are simultaneous anyway...I don't have the rules handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get it down to less than an hour after the first play or two...sometimes it is helpful to take turns playing the first few rounds to make sure everyone understands each phase of the game properly.

I've found the biggest challenge at higher player counts is making sure each player waits until everyone has played a card in each of the first three cards drafted...in my group players tended to make their choice, discard their hand to their opponent and then immediately pick up the next set of cards from the opponent on the other side...which ultimately led to mistakes and players having too many or too few cards because hands got messed up. It was driving me crazy

It also helps after the first game or two that you know what cards are out there and may help your particular invention...later games are often where you start to broaden your focus and keep an eye on what other players are building, especially the player you are passing your cards to...if they have alot of dice on a strong card, you certainly don't want to pass them a duplicate card that they can then use to replace the card full of dice. Make them replace it with something worse or collect gears to reduce the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of a learning game that initially uses turns. Good tip. We'll just figure on the first game or two being a training exercise, then hopefully there will be a little less AP and a little more experimentation and, as you said, focus broadening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a bit on the fence about this... you are meant to simultaneously perform your actions, but i think this may cause some troubles because if everybody acts simultaneously how are you supposed to check if your opponents didn't cheat ? I only played it once (2p) and the game took a little less than 1,5 hours including rule look ups but i am concerned that with more players the play time increases a good chunk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brettner wrote:
I am a bit on the fence about this... you are meant to simultaneously perform your actions, but i think this may cause some troubles because if everybody acts simultaneously how are you supposed to check if your opponents didn't cheat ? I only played it once (2p) and the game took a little less than 1,5 hours including rule look ups but i am concerned that with more players the play time increases a good chunk.

It only increases in time based on how bogged down you get with the draft and how analytical people are.

As to whether or not people are cheating, I really hope that's not an issue with anyones group because this game is very trusting. It assumes everyone is performing all their calculations correctly during the Race Phase.

What could happen is that multiple people want to play Boost Cards which affect everyone at the table, that could take some time to manage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding playing time: three of us played one game in "turn order" and it took 2 hours. We will definitely decrease that time next game.

Regarding boosts: I would simply announce "I'm playing a boost!" without revealing it. If no one is also playing one, resolve it. If they are, use the timing rules. I'm not sure many or any of the boosts are truly reactive to other boosts, but we didn't get through all the cards yet.

I think a group that knows the game can get it played in an hour. I think cutting out one tile will help a little initially.

What I was wondering was whether or not having a double starting draft before the race phase would be useful to speed up the game a bit (only if needed). Do 2 sets of 4 cards prior to racing instead of 1. Then proceed as normal after that initial phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.