Deck Building: The Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: are we doing something wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just go for two railings asap and then end the game. Hubby figured after our first play that that might work, and it does. It's very hard to counter that, as you can just build a railing and stain it. And if the other person is unlucky and doesn't get railings/stairs, there's nothing they can do to stop you from ending the game and winning by default (as s/he hasn't got enough rails to even score).

Are we missing something? We've re-read the rules and there doesn't seem to be anything we're doing wrong, but I'm hoping we're missing something, because this way it's just luck of the draw .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget you also need to have two railings AND two planks. And the game doesn't end whenever you want it to, you have to meet either game end condition of any empty purchase pile or one player has an empty deck, hand, and discard pile. There is still some "luck of the draw", but you never know which card you're buying if it is a railing or plank. If the luck of the draw brings you more planks than railings you'll have to start dropping those on the table before you can end the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far all three of our games have ended by one person not having any more cards in their hand. We've never even come close to emptying a draw pile. Emptying your hand isn't that hard (unless we're doing something wrong), you just play 2 cards each turn. We don't buy a lot of cards, so there aren't that many to get rid of.

Our first game didn't go like this, it took us longer to find railings, but even that one I ended before hubby found a second railing (or stairs). When we played today, hubby just raced for railings, got lucky (the first two cards he bought were railings), so he just needed three turns to build the lot (I didn't know what he was doing yet, so I didn't overbuild any of his cards). We tried again immediately, and we did a bit more building over the other players cards to mess with their scores/options, but still, I don't think we had more than 6 or 7 cards each (including the starting 3), and it ended really quickly (staining was used to make sure the railings wouldn't get turned into planks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Hatcher
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to say we completely agree with the comments here. We played the game a few times and ended the game after a few hands in the same way. The end game rule by emptying your hand does rather break what is a nice game idea. If the second player gets two railings and planks down quickly there is nothing the first player can do. Unless both player get to having two railing down in the same round the player with both will always win. So all you have to do is protect your first railing the round you put it down and wait for the second and keep your hand size down. I think the solution is to do away with that end game condition and either have a minimum score or go with finishing a deck as the only end game condition. For a shorter game split the deck into four piles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried having finishing a deck (pile) as the only end condition, with 4 stacks. It's better, but maybe the game goes a bit long when using that.

Hubby came up with the idea of trying to go to 4 plank and 4 railing cards minimum for the game to end by emptying your hand, but keeping the rule that you need 2 of each to get any points. It's probably what we'll try next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Hatcher
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look forward to hearing how that goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.