Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Game 7 of Crono Campaign DYO The Germans are Coming!
Believe it or not, when I originally created this scenario, it was even WORSE for the Germans. I never like to give Paul 2 Command-2 leaders. But in this case, my discard led to that result.

The level 2 Hill that we added isn't completely historical, but the problem was that I didn't really have a good place to aim for the smoke drops. A normal game will have some breezes, but this was countered by the fact that Paul and I play with Normandy smoke rules (breaking the radio after a smoke drop)....so that probably evens out.

Having the Germans come in every 2nd turn after being killed is a move of desperation. My 9-1 leader never moved in the whole game. Against the trenched/bunkered Poles, there just was no time to waste on him moving. If my other two leaders had faltered, I would have moved him straight into the teeth. Which in retrospect may have been the right move to begin with. But moving two leaders is hard enough.

Flanking on the right side does keep the squads from joining in on the fun. And perhaps it is still the right thing to do. But it is a long long walk. We called Mao for some encouragement about halfway there!

I actually saw the place where the Poles held for 3 days and it is similar to the map that we had.

Wikipedia wrote:

Battle of Wizna (7–10 September 1939) – a battle fought during the September Campaign (Polish: Kampania Wrześniowa). These were 720 Polish soldiers under the command of Władysław Raginis who took a famous last stand against 42,200 German soldiers with 350 tanks, 457 mortars, cannon, grenade launchers and 600 Luftwaffe aircraft; the ratio roughly works out to one Polish soldier per sixty Germans and one aircraft. Only a few Polish soldiers were taken into captivity, the rest were killed fighting to the end; the commanding officer kept his oath to die rather than surrender. When his soldiers ran out of ammunition, Raginis ordered his remaining men to surrender while he remained at the command post and committed suicide by detonating a hand grenade.

I never did see any Poles laying on a hand grenade, only Germans. :-(

PS Here is the scenario. It is in the CC:M section since you need the French (or Poles) to play it. https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/121129/scenario-mhab-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The second is with French units, the first is with Polish units (for those who have downloaded and printed them out).

5. RAGINIS RECALCITRANCE: wrote:
If there is a Polish leader in hex
M8, the Allied player may discard up to one card before refilling his
hand.

How should it be worded? In my mind, right before the Polish player refills his hand at the end of his turn, he can discard one card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or to make them conform to the rules, "Exit VPs are worth 0 VPs."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
Or to make them conform to the rules, "Exit VPs are worth 0 VPs."

Ah, but they aren't. They are eliminated, therefore they are worth X VPs for the other side. :-)

IIRC, my original intention was that the Germans not just rush past the Polish forces and rack up lots of VPs while hidden by that center woods collection. After playing it, I'll retool my argument and say that the Germans wanted that location secured, so that their tanks could use the road. I concede that both of you two's arguments are good, though. :-)

Oh, and I commented errata about the mines. For the record, the Poles, regardless of which counters you use, should get 6 mines on the setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.