BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Bad winner vs Sore loser rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nes
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just curious to what the community thinks about bad winners and sore losers. Which is worst? And which is most common?

If you had to choose:
Having a regular member of your gaming group being a bad winner or a sore loser?

Edit:
At the request:
AnalyticGamer wrote:
This thread should be a poll.

Poll
What do you think is WORSE of the following:
Bad winner
Sore loser
      110 answers
Poll created by woxoya
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sore losers drain all enthusiasm from playing again whereas bad winners just make you want to beat them.

So I would take a bad winner in a group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah a sore looser is way worse in my oppinion. A bad winner you can beat and show how its done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kokaly
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a bad winner can turn everyone else into sore losers. You pity a sore loser but a bad winner is just a jerk. The odds are though that the sore loser will show itself more often.tough call, maybe get one of each and put them in Thunderdome?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: are these players five years old?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
A bad winner will never be a winner again. He will be specifically targeted until people forget how bad of a winner he is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda like asking me if I'd like to eat cat doody or dog doody. Neither of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nes
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meshnaster wrote:
A bad winner will never be a winner again. He will be specifically targeted until people forget how bad of a winner he is.

And if he's a sore loser as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
Question: are these players five years old?

This too was my first thought. Both bad winners/sore losers are annoying, but in our game group, we don't invite bad winners/sore losers. I have a small, but close gaming group and for the most part, everyone has a good attitude. If they start getting whiny, we handle it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nes
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohmoplata wrote:
we handle it.

Now you made me curious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sore losers are inevitably going to be worse because there are more of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad winner vs Sore loser

Who wins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
In my experience, they are typically the same person. Don't choose either/or, it only takes not playing with that one person to solve both problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
A sore loser and bad winner - we're talking about Pete right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
middletonner wrote:
In my experience, they are typically the same person. Don't choose either/or, it only takes not playing with that one person to solve both problems.

That's not my experience. All of the bad winners I have known have been guys, whereas almost all the sore losers I have known have been women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiraboshi wrote:
middletonner wrote:

That's not my experience. All of the bad winners I have known have been guys, whereas almost all the sore losers I have known have been women.

Shots Fired!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my main gaming partners has recently started learning how to win graciously (he offers his hand and says, "Good game!") and lose graciously without pouting. We still have the odd rough day, but it's definitely improving.

Then again, he's only 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worse that either is the player who takes an extreme strategy at the start of a game then when it fails proceeds to moan and grumble even if the strategy almost came off and even if they end up winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
woxoya wrote:
meshnaster wrote:

And if he's a sore loser as well?

We have one of those. Usually what happens is that he leaves a gaming session as soon as the game is over, without hanging around to chit chat afterwards. I wonder if he has any fun. We're a generally nice bunch outside the sphere of the game, but since he's a sore winner, we do everything in our power to not let him win, but losing seems to strike a chord with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowden Wyatt
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Joe Lansdale Rules!
mbmbmbmbmb
Optimally, I would rather game with neither. In reality, I find sore losers to be much less tolerable. For me they typically ruin the entire game as they tend to be morose and whiny during the play.

Bad winners, on the other hand, come in all flavors and while some do ruin the entire game experience, most just prove their character flaw at the end of the game with their celebration.

Then there's the "faux" Bad Winner who talks smack incessantly and has a sardonic celebration at the end. Most of these are playing the meta "psych" game, trying to get in your head so you'll make sub-optimal moves. I don't mind this so much, but those who overdo it can be annoying (which is their goal I suppose).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take "People I no longer play with" for 400 Alex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is that so far every bad winner I've encountered (mostly not in boardgames, but something more often observed in sports) has also been a sore loser when they eventually lost, while sore losers might be a bit more common (in various degrees), but some of them were ok and fair enough when winning.

So while I'd avoid both kinds of players, I guess for me the bad winner is a little worse, which is probably even the case if the thing stated above is not universally true, just because to me showing a bad behaviour from a position of "strength" compared to someone who is "down" in some way is even more uncalled for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nes
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see there are some different opinions, and I really don't know myself. A sore loser complaining, or a bad winner rubbing his 'glory' in my face..

Now, a bad winner rubbing his glory in the face of a sore loser, that's a room I don't want to be in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woxoya wrote:
Bohmoplata wrote:
we handle it.

Now you made me curious

Our group is very close and our group is very competitive. We play games together frequently as well as play sports and engage in various outdoor activities. We're always fighting for dominance, but we also have a lot of respect for one another. We are not shy to compliment one another, nor are we shy to point out weaknesses. If someone is being whiny, we tease them until they shut up. If it is actually a real problem, we hash it out, face to face.

No one in our group is passive aggressive and no one intends to be disrespectful, so as a result, problems do not linger and we typically have a great time, whether it's board games, video games, sports, or just spending time together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krechevskoy wrote:
I'll take "People I no longer play with" for 400 Alex.

Also this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.