Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Staff of Ra rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
msg tools
The card says "increase damage felt by Ra by 1.

Then the power is Ra deals 1 target 3 projectile damage. Destroy this card.


So does that mean it's actually 4 damage? Since the the added damage comes first on the card?

Thanks!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

It also doesn't matter that the added damage is first. What matters is that it is a static effect.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, and correct about why.

If the sentences were reversed, the +1 would not apply.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla is half right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SirJamezTown wrote:
The card says "increase damage felt by Ra by 1.


But if he only feels the damage, does that mean it actually decreases his physical health? Or just his mental health?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Correct, and correct about why.

I agree

Radulla wrote:

If the sentences were reversed, the +1 would not apply.

I disagree. It doesn't matter where on the card the +1 is written, it is an effect that has no trigger so is always active.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Correct, and correct about why.

If the sentences were reversed, the +1 would not apply.


Nope. It's a static effect, so even if the sentences were reversed, the +1 would always be in effect. The damage only kicks in when the power is used and since the the +1 is in effect from the moment the card gets played (which happens before the power gets used) you would still get the +1 damage in that situation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
I think Radulla means that the +1 wouldn't apply if the Power were written "Destroy this card. Ra deals 1 target 3 projectile damage." Since the staff would leave play before the damage was dealt, its static +1 would have already disappeared by the time Ra dealt damage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
I think Radulla means that the +1 wouldn't apply if the Power were written "Destroy this card. Ra deals 1 target 3 projectile damage." Since the staff would leave play before the damage was dealt, its static +1 would have already disappeared by the time Ra dealt damage.


This is, indeed, my view, and I'm surprised to find so many in disagreement.

From Spiff's FAQ:

"destroying a card before it’s finished

when a card is destroyed before it can finish its effect, any remaining effect is cancelled."

Now I understand the argument that this is a static effect, and others are arguing that it was already in effect before the card's destruction... but consider; if it does not go away at the card's destruction, when does it go away? Next turn? Next round? Next January 3rd?

There are effects which state that they last until a certain time, and these are independent of the destruction of the card which caused them. Effects with no such listed expiration only apply so long as the card which cause them is in play.

Of course, this is all hypothetical since the order on Staff of Ra is not reversed. I can't think of a card off-hand which has such an ambiguity... but I can't see the damage buff remaining without any card causing it or a specific duration.

O' course, I've been wrong before...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We (or at the very least I) disagreed because we thought you were saying that if the +1 came after the power it would not apply, not that if it is destroyed the effect no longer applies.

However, now that is cleared up I can disagree with you correctly!

Radulla wrote:

From Spiff's FAQ:

"destroying a card before it’s finished

when a card is destroyed before it can finish its effect, any remaining effect is cancelled."

That is true but if the card says "destroy this card" then "deal damage" the deal damage part would not kick in as the card has left play before that instruction is read! So the +1 would be irrelevant.

Radulla wrote:
Now I understand the argument that this is a static effect, and others are arguing that it was already in effect before the card's destruction... but consider; if it does not go away at the card's destruction, when does it go away? Next turn? Next round? Next January 3rd?

It does go away on destruction, that is not what people were arguing against. We misinterpreted your "reversed".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any card that has an effect when it is destroyed remains in play until the effect is over. That order would still be odd, but either you'd have to just destroy the card and then the damage never happens (because they card is gone) or assume this is an exception, in which case the +1 damage would still apply.

Basically either both the +1 and the 3 damage both kick in or neither of them do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shanahan
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ran this scenario through the app and yes--the damage for breaking the staff is 4 (3 +1 for staff).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.