Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bresson
United States
Rochelle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game - got our first play of it in last night. We played it with the full six players. Only thing concerning me (besides the misprint on the connections bonus scoring) was that towards the end of the game we ran out of parkies in the parkie pool, and so from that time on it was very hard to get another parkie, whether bidding for the parkie pool or just getting your regular parkie based on your attractions in your park later on in the round. Basically the only time you could get a parkie at this point was to wait for someone to discard one for $, which sometimes happened and sometimes didn't.

Does this experience sound typical? I didn't really see it coming until we got into the meat of the game, and then I was like, hmm, I don't think the rulebook mentions anything about the parkies being a limited resource, but I don't know, I guess we'll treat it as such....if they're gone, they're gone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Parkies are absolutely a limited resource, and the game is very different depending upon the number of players and/or how much hoarding of Parkies the players do. Knowing when to trade in a Parkie for money or trump can mean the difference between winning and losing. Hoarders (in my experience) almost never win.

I hope that helps. I'll see about adding a note to the v1.1 rule book so others aren't confused as you were. Thanks for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to us in our second (5p) game. Not sure it's fair to say we're "hoarding" them when we typically have plenty of money already and they're worth a point a piece at the end of the game.

When exactly can you discard a parkie for $5? There were situations where people wanted to discard for $5 right before they got to pick a parkie again during the last phase of the turn, but we decided at the time the only times you could really discard for money were during the bidding phase, or at the end of the game just prior to scoring.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
I've played it both ways. If you're playing with a group of novices or casual gamers, then I let them discard Parkies at any time. However, if you're playing with hardcore gamers or rules lawyers, then I do as you did and limit discarding Parkies to the bidding phase. I think it's important to tailor the game to suit the audience so that they have fun.

Hardcore gamers will still find good strategies for discarding Parkies. For example, when you are the first player you should pretty much always discard a Parkie, cuz you're definitely going to get it back. Discarding a Parkie on a turn where you are going to the Parkie pool is also a good strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.