Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Wham is probably the greatest game designer of all time. There's my bold statement. His games are whimsical, simple, and just plain fun to play. No, there's no big strategy like all the new board games have, and there's very little conceptualization behind most of them. They're just simple games with one page rules that can be played by anybody from five to a hundred. And they are fun and you will laugh.

In this game, you move around and around a fairly typical board, recruiting hunters, buying supplies, and occasionally capturing elefants. The goal is to capture lots of elefants. Doing that causes a lot of detours. There is a simple mechanic of delay-and-prepare or go charging off half-cocked: you can stay in port and supply, or you can just go hunting. Neither strategy is a guaranteed win, which makes the game much more fun. The hunters you recruit run the range from complete bumbling idiots to really capable hunters. Most of them are somewhere in between. And you can also have various mishaps that will drop your elefant count or send one of your hunters packing.

It's a pretty lightweight boardgame, but it's good for at least a dozen plays. And every time you'll be laughing and wondering how you lost (you always lose, it seems... at least... I always lose). Recommended. Plus, it's easy to find old Dragon magazines with copies for only a few bucks. Enjoy it. It should've been published as a standalone "real" game, but... oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Cleland
Australia
Baulkham Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
I supported because ...
badge
my silence is not questioned, nor is my presence, and sometimes there's magic!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently found an old envelope with this game in it - wrenched from the original Dragon mag back in the 80's. I've been putting off playing it, but you may have just about convinced me to give it a whirl!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review!

Always been one of my favorites - wish it had gotten a micro game at least (like AGTFOS).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up AGTFOS... I totally agree with you! Looking at games like Elefant Hunt, The Snits, Mertwig's Maze etc, and thinking about how awesome they would be if they had been die cut, and put into a nice box... I would buy all of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.