Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my dad and I played the game for our first time today. We played the first round without the timer as suggested, and we introduced it on the second round. Well, I finished first and started the timer. The timer ran out before my dad could finish. I wasn't all too forgiving about letting him add too much more to his ship. (Although I let him add one piece.) My dad wasn't happy. He decided to lose his crew to an abandoned station and drop out.

Is there a way to ease the timer rule so that it isn't such a harsh, "Stop building your ship" thing? Like, lose a credit or a space for each piece you add after the timer? Or maybe both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo de Castro
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The digital version of this game for the Android platform includes a pass & play version where You do not need to rush to build your ship. For each turn one player has a number of actions that can be used before passing to the next player. I think this method could be adopted in case of players with too different skills level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could just not use the timer in a friendly game against your DAD?? Especially if you want to play again with him?

Just saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisxny wrote:
Or you could just not use the timer in a friendly game against your DAD?? Especially if you want to play again with him?

Just saying.

20/20 hindsight. I didn't think it would be a problem. And he says that he thinks he'd be okay with it better outside of a learning game. (We were both equally frustrated at the end of the game, and it's hard to say who more rightfully so.) He told me afterwards (paraphrased), "I'm an engineer. I enjoy building things. I don't like it when people stop me in the middle of building something."

But always an option. But I'd like to keep some element of timer in there just so that the game doesn't completely lose the dexterity/speed element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question did you limit the tile pool for the 2 player game? This will limit the AP a bit as less tiles equals less choices?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't- haven't played before. What do you do to limit the pool? Are there certain tokens you get rid of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook says to remove a certain number of tiles at random for each game per player under 4. So in a 2 player game there will be maybe 50% of the tiles that remain the same for the three stages so each game will evolve into an understanding of what is available in the pool for that game.

I apologize I think that might be when you add in the expansion to the tile set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. Didn't catch that. Thanks!

Oh.

I probably would have looked at the rules first anyways. No problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miller4h9 wrote:
He decided to lose his crew to an abandoned station and drop out.

You don't lose any crew at Abandoned Stations.

Quote:
Is there a way to ease the timer rule so that it isn't such a harsh, "Stop building your ship" thing? Like, lose a credit or a space for each piece you add after the timer? Or maybe both?

Sure. Invent whatever rules you want. Both of your suggestions sound reasonable for having more fun when learning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It must have been the other one. It WAS the lose crew one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Ummm...maybe have a talk with your dad about sportsmanship? (And maybe some self-reflection on it as well?)

First games often don't go particularly well, especially of games like this. Dealing with that like an adult shouldn't be too much to ask. (That includes maybe letting him add a critical piece or two to his ship, and then everyone dealing with it when things go poorly. And they will, until everyone figures out how to build decent ships. Then you ramp up the difficulty and begin again.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I think both of us were a little lame sportsmanship-wise.

I would defend my actions although really, that isn't very sportsmanlike either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miller4h9 wrote:
So my dad and I played the game for our first time today. We played the first round without the timer as suggested, and we introduced it on the second round. Well, I finished first and started the timer. The timer ran out before my dad could finish. I wasn't all too forgiving about letting him add too much more to his ship. (Although I let him add one piece.) My dad wasn't happy. He decided to lose his crew to an abandoned station and drop out.

You could double the time available after the first player finishes (so the time has to run through twice on the final space). That way, you decrease the advantage gained by being fastest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But always an option. But I'd like to keep some element of timer in there just so that the game doesn't completely lose the dexterity/speed element.

Even without the timer, there's still a lot of speed in trying to build a good ship before your opponent does. Launching first is a big advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Even without the timer, there's still a lot of speed in trying to build a good ship before your opponent does. Launching first is a big advantage.

Sort of, but the issue is, if you know you are going to be last anyway, then you might as well take a very very very long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.