Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My blog is meant to be a light prodding of my own failures and short comings as an amateur game designer. I hope to provide some enjoyable content for gamers and game designers. Right now I'm just trying to gauge people's response to the overall look and feel of the blog and I'd be ecstatic if some of you care to comment on the content.

The blog is called Billy Board Game with a Dream: The Exploits of an Amateur Game Designer.
The address is https://billyboardgame.wordpress.com

I'd also like to know what everyone thinks about trying to keep the same blog running on BGG. I don't know why I feel compelled to do it. Maybe I'm just hoping that it will reach more people. The BGG blog is one article behind the main blog but can be found here.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide,
Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Good effort. You've broken your first posts into readable chunks, and are teasing out story elements. The main thing I would suggest trying to moderate is the tone -- I know it's about your failures as a game designer, but reading several posts in a row gets awfully grim. Perhaps spend some time in each focusing on the successes? The last post was the best in this regard.

You should decide on one place where people need to go to read it and then only post there. You can post teasers elsewhere (like the first paragraph, with a link), but I presume part of your reason for blogging is to get people involved with you and your site. So you want people to go there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brendan, that's really helpful information. So maybe I should have a chunk of every blog post on my BGG blog with a read more link to the actual blog. I like that idea.

I do really want to engage with people and get myself out there. I'll try to keep an eye on my tone. I do tend towards self effacing humor but I don't want it to seem like I'm just down on myself. And the future will hold some more successful and positive outcomes.

I really appreciate you taking the time to have a look and give me your honest opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
You should decide on one place where people need to go to read it and then only post there. You can post teasers elsewhere (like the first paragraph, with a link), but I presume part of your reason for blogging is to get people involved with you and your site. So you want people to go there.

Brendan, I took this advice and it has increase traffic to my blog. Thank you for the advice.

Today may be my best traffic day yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.